Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5801 5802 [5803] 5804 5805 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441941 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #87030 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:10 am »

Just a note, but lots of psychology studies have found that while relying on a punching bag or another physical aggression thing (like punching a pillow, kicking rocks, etc.) to deal with anger/stress works in the short term (complete with a "feel good" rush), it actually makes you more easily angered/stressed in the long one. It's this self feeding loop where the more angry you get the more you go and punch something, which makes you more likely to become angry in the future, so you go and punch a punching bag more, and so on.

Normally we always say vent instead of holding your feelings in, but anger and stress are a few of the feelings where holding it in is the best thing to do in the long run (as long as you don't do it so much you totally explode at something small, which is just a matter). It's because holding it in over time it teaches your mind and body how to better contain and control anger in the future, as opposed to releasing it which just trains your mind and body to release anger (which can cause problems when you don't necessarily have a punching bag right there).

So if you need to release anger or stress do so, you don't want to explode. But try to hold in what you can and only rely on physical things to work out your stress and anger as an absolute last resort for an outburst. (Of course ideally you would remove the source of the stress/anger, but that's a different matter then management stuff).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87031 on: January 17, 2015, 12:15:11 am »

How good are punching bags for stress releif?
Amazing.
Martial arts is also good for stress relief ;3
...Err, personally...I don't use it as stress relief but y'know ._.
I don't have a punching bag, but I have a couple wooden swords that I sometimes swing around to get my mind off things.
(It's less SWING CAUSE IM MAD and more trying to repeat certain swings and thrusts in particular way to focus my thoughts away from stressors. I guess that's sorta akin to martial arts.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #87032 on: January 17, 2015, 12:17:33 am »

(It's less SWING CAUSE IM MAD and more trying to repeat certain swings and thrusts in particular way to focus my thoughts away from stressors. I guess that's sorta akin to martial arts.)
IIRC that did make a large difference overall. Doing something that just happened to be physical to "do something" didn't really have the same effect. It was more the "I'm gonna imagine that this bag is my bosses face" type stuff that caused problems.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87033 on: January 17, 2015, 12:19:32 am »

How good are punching bags for stress releif?
Amazing.
Martial arts is also good for stress relief ;3
...Err, personally...I don't use it as stress relief but y'know ._.
I don't have a punching bag, but I have a couple wooden swords that I sometimes swing around to get my mind off things.
Me and my friends beat the living crap out of each other with hardwood and polypropalyn swords
That's amazing stress relief

Also holding in too much stress and not venting that can have some serious and terrible side effects
Such as ungodly pains in your gut that feel like a Titan is trying to squeeze you to death.
Had something like that caused by stress a few years ago, or at least we think it's stress. The doctors couldn't boil it down to any physical damage or anything like that. Even did the whole drink (barium?) smoothie and go under the X-ray to look at your intestines thing which was strange
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #87034 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:13 am »

Just a note, but lots of psychology studies have found that while relying on a punching bag or another physical aggression thing (like punching a pillow, kicking rocks, etc.) to deal with anger/stress works in the short term (complete with a "feel good" rush), it actually makes you more easily angered/stressed in the long one. It's this self feeding loop where the more angry you get the more you go and punch something, which makes you more likely to become angry in the future, so you go and punch a punching bag more, and so on.
Dohoho :3 I remember these things in my studies. Loved how it was presented.

A note that was said by my professor on that is the mere instance of focusing on aggression--instead of many other alternatives. Alternatives such as moving to control such acts--why it is said that martial arts is a very good way of stress relief (instead of just the tools used in martial arts) is because of how they treat the attitude and mental composure of the student, and not just the physical aspect.

Hum...I should upload that one slide in a very good documentary I've seen one day (when I can upload it x_x). It's very...how you say, inspirational?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #87035 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:17 am »

You lot deserve better than to have to deal with the shit you're nevertheless dealing with.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87036 on: January 17, 2015, 12:47:33 am »

If you have documents, you can upload them to scribd, I think.

Also, I refuse to use my punching bag when I'm angry. It's for refining technique, not to just beat on wildly. Breathing and meditation are for stress relief.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #87037 on: January 17, 2015, 07:45:53 am »

I just found out my grandmother died in the hospital yesterday. :(

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #87038 on: January 17, 2015, 07:56:44 am »

I just found out my grandmother died in the hospital yesterday. :(
Oh.
Well...
*hugs*
That's terrible. I know how you are feeling now though, probably. My PM box is open should you need anyone to talk about this with.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87039 on: January 17, 2015, 08:57:18 am »

I'm about to board a plane back to the US, a week earlier than planned. Supplier issues meant that I'd have to idle a week here, which is just overall a bad idea. Which is a shame, because things were going well, and I really enjoy both the work and the experience of trips to asia.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87040 on: January 17, 2015, 09:01:09 am »

Also holding in too much stress and not venting that can have some serious and terrible side effects
Such as ungodly pains in your gut that feel like a Titan is trying to squeeze you to death.
Had something like that caused by stress a few years ago, or at least we think it's stress. The doctors couldn't boil it down to any physical damage or anything like that. Even did the whole drink (barium?) smoothie and go under the X-ray to look at your intestines thing which was strange

Amen. The SCO I've been working with here is super-competent, but also takes his job really really seriously and was suffering from stress pretty bad while I was there. He said he had strong muscle pains in his back and shoulders, and it seemed to be getting him down.

Stress is bad.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87041 on: January 17, 2015, 02:22:11 pm »

Ya
I used to be extremely serious and stressed about everything. Bullies and over bearing parents didn't help.
I'm not nearly as bad about holding that stuff in anymore
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87042 on: January 17, 2015, 02:48:16 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:48:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87043 on: January 17, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

I broke down and took the customer service line work a bit ago. It is soul crushingly terrible.

I am supposed to / would like to:
1. Figure out the customer's problems.
2. Suggest possible solutions to the customer's problems
3. Make sure those solutions are implemented as best can be done.
4. Ask if there is anything else I can do for them.

Instead, I am the world's whipping girl. I can't handle it. I get told how terrible everything is and how stupid I am and how I'm the worst at everything day in and day out. I want to solve people's problems but I guess I am their problem based on what they're saying. Some customers actually have a problem they want solved and I am DELIGHTED to help them solve it any way I can. If they are polite to me, I will stay over when I am supposed to leave and make sure they will be helped. I'm more than happy to sincerely say "Yes sir, please sir, thank you sir, as soon as I can sir, of course sir, I'd be delighted to sir, etc etc. Compared to the others I have to deal with who say I'm the reason the country is collapsing.

Some days, I just come home and I can't stop crying and a lot of it is from the things people say about me.

I'm supposed to have thick skin and not let any amount of abuse bother me. I have been told it can only hurt me if I let it. I can't help when most of what I'm told day in and day out is how shitty I am. I can't take it.

Friday, I finally, while being very polite told a raging customer who was abusing me that,

"I would be more than happy to help you, but I am not here to be your whipping post. Please stop cussing at and insulting me and I will help you as fast as I can."

That just made them even MORE mad and complainy to my boss. All of this is on tape and I was as nice as I've ever seen anybody. I was trying extra hard to be nice. I came across as sincere, etc. The customer said things to me that began to make me cry due to the never ending flow of constant insults and curse words. I was chewed out for a good 7 minutes before I said anything at all. Somehow, I am in trouble from this.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #87044 on: January 17, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

:(

The group of people that insults customer service employees is one I find it difficult to love.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 5801 5802 [5803] 5804 5805 ... 8167