Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5680 5681 [5682] 5683 5684 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9408104 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #85215 on: December 07, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »

I've once packed a sandwich that was a day old and bitten into it, only to discover that the unseen side was covered in mold. I feel your pain.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85216 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »

And now I know

I'm sorry that happened
Bread mold probably isn't the best thing to ingest
(I've only eaten it like twice but the bread had very few spores so I didn't really taste it)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85217 on: December 07, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »

Penicillin, my friend. It's good for you*!

*Citation needed.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85218 on: December 07, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »

Penicillin, my friend. It's good for you*!

*Citation needed.
Unless you're allergic then it's deadly

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85219 on: December 07, 2014, 02:37:38 pm »

Or whatever you have infecting you is immune. Whereapon its neutral.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85220 on: December 07, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »

Yeah, it was by accident. I made a sandwich, but didn't notice the mold on the upper crust so yum yum for me.

I can still taste it. >.<

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85221 on: December 07, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »

I'm having some issues coming to terms with my gaming. It's become pretty clear to me that my family does Not approve, and whilst I'm sure that my closet-gamer status is because of this, I have more trouble deciding whether or not it's a good thing.
I'm pretty paranoid about letting people know that I game, or do Warhammer, or DnD, but because of this I have a lot of non-gamer friends, and therefore I'm out of the house a lot more often and keep reasonably fit.
Meanwhile best-chick-friend is telling me that I should stop being ashamed of who I am and what I enjoy, and she's convinced that I'm pretty much tearing up my own psyche with my constant self-disparaging (She got mad when she found out I call our hobby room the 'shame room' and our WH40K case the 'Wall of Shame'.)

But I personally don't feel like I have anything less than a gigantic ego. Just not sure who I should be listening to- family or friend.
Maybe this belongs in life advice.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85222 on: December 07, 2014, 03:49:36 pm »

Took me awhile to tell my mom I've been playing pathfinder and that sort of thing
She doesn't like it but she's ok with it
Felt like a big weight off my shoulders when I stopped being afraid of what my parents thought of it
Not sure if that's any similar to what you're going through or not but ya sorry you're flushing a rough time

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85223 on: December 07, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »

Or whatever you have infecting you is immune. Whereapon its neutral.
Potentially dangerous. Depends on the dosage. Most medicine (even paracetamol) can cause liver failure in too high doses.

Well, that's less of an 'even' and more of 'we use a medicine that is hepatotoxic if not countered properly by the liver for minor pain'.

And it doesn't take OD in case of mold - they produce mycotoxins, which can fuck you up in more or less subtle ways.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85224 on: December 07, 2014, 04:28:42 pm »

Well, general rule of things is 'If you can eat it, it can kill you. You just need to eat use/be around enough of it.'
FTFY
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85225 on: December 07, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »

Regular old visible-spectrum light, AFAIK, can't kill you. Blind you, yes. Make you look like an X-ray, yes. But it's not high enough frequency to cause radiation damage, doesn't heat you up (that's infrared and microwaves)...
Quote from: Wikipedia
Laser beams begin to cause plasma breakdown in the atmosphere at energy densities of around one megajoule per cubic centimetre. This effect, called "blooming," causes the laser to defocus and disperse energy into the surrounding air. Blooming can be more severe if there is fog, smoke, or dust in the air.

An electrolaser lets blooming occur, and then sends a powerful electric current down the conducting ionized track of plasma so formed, somewhat like lightning. It functions as a giant high energy long-distance version of the Taser or stun gun.

Light can kill you; not directly, but it has been weaponized, so...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85226 on: December 07, 2014, 05:36:54 pm »

Regular old visible-spectrum light, AFAIK, can't kill you. Blind you, yes. Make you look like an X-ray, yes. But it's not high enough frequency to cause radiation damage, doesn't heat you up (that's infrared and microwaves)...

It might be mostly we aren't transparent - we have a fuckton of light-absorbing... stuff. Either intentionally or unintentionally so. It's also likely why it's VISIBLE in the first place - if you're gonna use EM waves, you would want to use the stuff that is not high-energy enough to loloxidate you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85227 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »

Basically anything with mass can kill you in high quantities and anything with energy can kill you in high quantities.
That leaves a vacuum. Which will kill you if you're in one.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85228 on: December 07, 2014, 06:03:47 pm »

That's... a good point.

Well, what is there that won't kill you in super high quantities? Air will crush you, food will blow you up, perfect temperature will make you die because of a lack of a temperature gradient...

Pretty much anything outside of our tiny-ass metabolic comfort zone can kill us - we're a system of a laaaarge number of moving parts designed to work in an optimum range of variables, then gradually fail as it moves outside of that, and once one part fails, the missing function gradually fucks up the conditions for the rest. We've developed a bunch of compensator systems, but extreme circumstances are, well, extreme - not much point in evolving to shrug off absurd conditions on the off chance someone decides to put you under a jiggawatt of pure blue light.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85229 on: December 07, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »

Not moving until next week. Very little accomplished today. Took almost five hours just to assemble a table and couple of chairs at the new place.

Didn't sleep at all last night. Though my sleeping habits have always been terrible.

Completely unprepared for exams, and they start tomorrow.

Found out that when we move into the new place, my computer desk will be placed in the living room so that what I do on it can be monitored. Even though my desktop is still broken. I'll likely have to use my laptop where it can be seen as well.

I don't understand why. My mom is incredibly suspicious when it comes to my computer usage. If I get caught doing so much as changing tabs she will freak out on me. Hell, even flashes from playing a video game can make her suspicious.
Pages: 1 ... 5680 5681 [5682] 5683 5684 ... 8166