Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5637 5638 [5639] 5640 5641 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423036 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #84570 on: November 17, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »

Hrm. People say I'm smart too, it gets rather annoying. There's a difference between being smart and not doing the homework, so improvising and making points up about the text :P
It makes me feel kinda sad when the notes we get at the end of the year (summary: you write your name on a paper, pass it around, all of the class has to write something good about you) has 20 times "You're really smart" and one or two "You're a good person/friend".
But how many in the class actually know you? And what do you write on their papers?

Given his description of his class, very low, countable on one hand, possibly zero, or at least two.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #84571 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »

You mean "her"?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84572 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »

Hrm. People say I'm smart too, it gets rather annoying. There's a difference between being smart and not doing the homework, so improvising and making points up about the text :P
It makes me feel kinda sad when the notes we get at the end of the year (summary: you write your name on a paper, pass it around, all of the class has to write something good about you) has 20 times "You're really smart" and one or two "You're a good person/friend".
There's not really much you can write in things like that. I usually settle for audaciously ironic statements because it's more interesting than yet another, "funny" or "kind" or whatever.

ninjasman:
Know me? Almost everyone. Know me well? Maybe a handful. Know me very well? A couple.
Actually know me? No one.
What does that even mean?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #84573 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »

It means that whilst some may know her very well, they don't truly know her.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84574 on: November 17, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »

'Truly know' in the biblical sense? Because otherwise the differences between the various grades of knowing are highly subjective.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84575 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:13 pm »

ninjasman:
Know me? Almost everyone. Know me well? Maybe a handful. Know me very well? A couple.
Presumably it means even her closest friends greet her with something along the lines of "Hey bro!"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:23:25 pm by Worldmaster27 »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84576 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »

'Truly know' in the biblical sense?
That would clear up some things and then raise a whole bunting of other questions.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #84577 on: November 17, 2014, 06:23:24 pm »

Let's say there are different levels of knowing, some of the classmates know up to a certain point, but don't go the full way.

And that's the last I'm gonna say on the matter of knowing, sounds like a weird conversation waiting to happen :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84578 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »

Could we extend the 'base' metaphor (getting to n-th base) to knowing people? So many innuendo-filled opportunities...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84579 on: November 17, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »

ninjasman:
Presumably it means even her closest friends greet her with something along the lines of "Hey bro!"
Aww man. Saying 'Yo Caroline!' doesn't work :<

has 20 times "You're really smart" and one or two "You're a good person/friend".
I can relate on the same quality being said (and/or people not going farther than <4 words despite the long time ._.)

People say I'm smart. I don't think I am. I have no idea how I get anything done.
Smart could mean a ton of things though--not just output productivity.

The same goes for being a genius--being a genius doesn't necessarily mean you're only good in IQ or such. It can go through a lot of aspects of intellect and intelligence. (ie If you failed college, you're not a genius? HAH...untrue. Grades don't determine potential--everyone regardless of social status has great potential to grow and develop)

Though its a real sad for me that, when people are told they're a genius and they see failing grades in school, there are thoughts which drive them :( or down or in extreme cases, into a spiral of depression or questioning why they're intelligent if grades or such...when mood or belief affects behavior as well as many other extraneous factors (ie teacher and their attitude/capability or the tests given) and...many many other factors ._.
The sad part is 'genius = good grades'...which falls short in actually telling of the potential and actual intellect one already has. Intelligence isn't fluid in pertaining to grades--ie you aren't dumber if you had a 90 in math and have an 80 in math now. [this sad represented by RL here...]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:22:35 pm by Tiruin »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84580 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:39 pm »

Those people have varying levels of familiarity, but none of that familiarity is intimate, maybe?

Knowing peoples' mannerisms, aptitudes and skills isn't the same as knowing their thoughts or values.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84581 on: November 17, 2014, 07:22:59 pm »

Tiruin can you change all of the school systems plz

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84582 on: November 17, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »

Output productivity seems to be the case in an academic scenario though.

Better marks = More smarterer.

Though my marks are artificially inflated, and my smarts are an implied attribute. I get told I'm smart, and ridiculed for not acting smart enough. I think I know how it started, but I have no idea how it has managed to persist. And now it's starting to bite me in the ass. Hard.

And I just got a reminder that it is almost Christmas time. Yay, more strain on my wallet. It's hurting hard enough right now, and soon I'll be expected to shell out what little is left for presents. If I don't I'm an asshole and others will get to reinforce their "I hate the family" shit.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84583 on: November 17, 2014, 07:27:22 pm »

Tiruin can you change all of the school systems plz
The same question I talked about with my Guidance Counselor (considering I'm in a course that lets me get hands-on experience, this is more of a casual/usual meet).
We can't change the system now--there needs to be a majority/more people clause. However awareness is one of the best things to be given ._.
And its quite a thorough system--the bugs we may be seeing may not be a result of the system, though on the flip side, the problems we're seeing in how teacher-student//grade-student measurements and interactions may also not be a problem of the system too.
So yeah. Instantaneous changes do not necessarily bring progress...
Output productivity seems to be the case in an academic scenario though.

Better marks = More smarterer.
Not when you're depressed usually!
Yeah that's me back in the day -.- mmph that bias.

And I just got a reminder that it is almost Christmas time. Yay, more strain on my wallet. It's hurting hard enough right now, and soon I'll be expected to shell out what little is left for presents. If I don't I'm an asshole and others will get to reinforce their "I hate the family" shit.
Err, probably talk to them instead of letting the idea of 'presents means love' pervade who you are :-\
Even written cards or samples of literature (ie drawings, poems, or a simple thank you card) goes against that...shallow idea of presents = love, and nothing else :-X
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:41:25 pm by Tiruin »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84584 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »

It's specifically my nan. I've mentioned before that she phoned me to give me trouble for "hating the world and attempting to tear apart the family by faking mental illness and taking sleeping pills". Because she doesn't know the difference between sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication.

Shit is going to hit the proverbial fan soon enough anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 5637 5638 [5639] 5640 5641 ... 8167