Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5570 5571 [5572] 5573 5574 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466945 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #83565 on: October 26, 2014, 03:43:57 am »

Hey now - anger is a totally valid emotion to feel. You can't just say "feel emotions but god forbid you get angry!" That's just silly... And how it used to be for society.

It's really more how that anger is expressed that's really terrible and shitty. Which is why adults are bad at it right now because they were never taught how to properly handle anger.
I think that's what Kal is saying but the wording got messed up. How it is expressed and used--especially when against/towards others. :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83566 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:33 am »

Science teacher proved the first one in class the other day. Was pretty weid, but it does make sense to an extent.
Proved or 'proved'? Because \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \neq \fraq{1}{2}.

(I hope I got that right...)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83567 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:38 am »

I missed the date for the math GRE and will be applying to graduate schools next year. Not this year.
Any chance for Spring entry?

Depending on various stuff, that might work. My understanding is that while there's fewer slots open (and some schools don't allow it at all, IIRC), there's also less competition, and if (like I did) you need to spend a semester playing catch-up, it's a big help because grad courses are often scheduled on the assumption that you take certain ones in the fall, then the sequel in the spring, so you get out of sync and lose a year instead of a semester if you miss the autumn ones.

Then again, if you're going for a PhD, you've got more years to work with by default, which may make the scheduling more flexible, and housing is a bitch to find if you don't already have it. And if your targets just don't make Spring admission a thing, then it's all a moot point anyway.

Although I've just realized I may have misunderstood - it'd be next year anyway, just not next academic year (goddamn calendars). One way or another, though, good luck. You're the kind of awesome that doesn't really need it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #83568 on: October 26, 2014, 01:34:18 pm »

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83569 on: October 26, 2014, 01:40:35 pm »

The latest Prattchett book (Raising Steam), has a kind of... Stilted language to it.
Snuff was great, but I'm starting to think his typist is trying to insert his own feel- and I dislike it.

Plus he pretty much reverts every race into their generic fantasy equivalent over the process of one book.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #83570 on: October 26, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »

I'm sick and tired and lonely and broken, and people just keep throwing bad news and anger and disappointment at me. I can't keep dealing with it.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #83571 on: October 26, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #83572 on: October 26, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »

I think the way to win the game about emotion is to feel negative emotions but don't show it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83573 on: October 26, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »

No, that's a terrible idea.

Don't feel any emotions, at all. Then you've won.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83574 on: October 26, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »

Being honest about your emotions is the best way.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #83575 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:09 pm »

Being honest about your emotions is the best way.
This.
The other two... :I (Obj, there's no 'game' of emotion wherein you're fighting it. Being a cold fishie won't work either Orange. Understanding those emotions is the best way :V)
*sent PM*
Stuff like this.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83576 on: October 26, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »

My time in the happy thread was really short-lived.

That girl I'd mentioned in the Happy thread, that I was dating, now seemingly just doesn't want to respond to me on Facebook. I haven't been a pest, I sent her a message on Tuesday, one on Thursday, and one today, no response. This was a good faith effort, I think, any more is just being a nuisance. When something is clearly dying, just let it die Josh, just let it die.

Why do I feel like this is how it's just doomed to be. Even on really amazing great second dates, shit just falls apart and there's nothing I can do about it. I feel like I'm being punished for something I did, but I can't tell what.

I feel stupid, like a some kind of retarded emotional idiot for being torn up like this, over something so stupid. Just stupid.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #83577 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »

Send her more messages (´・ω・`)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83578 on: October 26, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »

Send her more messages (´・ω・`)

The optimism you find on these boards. The puerile, emasculating optimism.

I've gone outta my way to find a firefox addon that just blocks FB. I'm tearing myself up when I go there every twelve hours or so, only to find that there's still no activity. It's just it's own wishful thinking, wishful thinking that is nothing but poison to my emotional state. I'll just bury it, and wash my hands of the entire venture.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #83579 on: October 26, 2014, 05:47:50 pm »

I was making a joke. That smiley is used in a 2chan story by a dude who supposedly stalked the hell out of some poor girl, sending her dozens of emails a day.

Don't actually do that :P
Pages: 1 ... 5570 5571 [5572] 5573 5574 ... 8167