Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5553 5554 [5555] 5556 5557 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471356 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #83310 on: October 19, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »

Our cat hasn't been seen for the entire day. This is really unlike him, I'm so afraid something happened to him...

.-.
A couple days ago a random cat showed up
It's super freindly and all
We think it was just dumped and found us
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83311 on: October 19, 2014, 01:04:04 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:01:17 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83312 on: October 19, 2014, 01:38:51 pm »

Hug seconded. No fun when it gets to that point.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #83313 on: October 19, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »

Speaking of cats, unfortunately, the elder of my cats has finally gone. Died in his sunning spot, and peacefully from the looks of the corpse.

I feel content to know that I made his last years comfortable and as peaceful as I could possibly make it. Gonna miss that lazy lump. He was a peacekeeper, and a mentor to many cats and kittens in his bloodline; which I hope they're faring well out there.

I knew something was a bit off when I smelled something odd outside, and was missing some company last night, and maybe the night before. Even the other cats were acting awkward around me, as if they knew the bad news ahead of time. Come and think of it, that could explain why the most rowdy of the cats was such a lump, and staring off into space. Little guy, despite his problems with the elder, was depressed about our loss.

EDIT:
Chances are, it was also a sickness (not ebola; looks more like food poisoning (we have some venomous lizards here)). But the depression symptoms are still consistent with the other cat.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:12:41 pm by Itnetlolor »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83314 on: October 19, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »

So the first girl I asked out led me on for two months by saying she was "busy" and "ask me again later", before I finally gave up. She only made a half-hearted apology after I drunkenly told a friend of hers about it. Apparently it was a "confusing time" for her. I wasn't angry, just dissapointed and honestly thought I was fine.

So a bit more than a week back I ask another girl out. Same shit, busy last weekend, we'll talk next week. Seems I was pretty goddamn wrong about the "being fine" bit. Was physically incapable of sleeping last weekend, because every time I thought about it I think I had a small panic attack. I have no reason to doubt that she actually was busy, but I don't think my body agreed with that. Calmed down a bit over the week, as we were supposed to talk about the date this weekend, but she hasn't answered my message, which is making me freak out again, I doubt I will get much sleep today.

I'm freaking out right now, but what I am utterly terrified of is what it would feel like next time.

Why the fuck does this stuff have to cut so deep. I can happily go through every day not giving a single shit and have done so for years now, but suddenly I gain an interest in some girls and my mental state goes down the shitter. I'm just so tired right now.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #83315 on: October 19, 2014, 02:22:18 pm »

Honest question: why keep asking after she rejected you the first time? I hope you didn't genuinely think she was busy :S

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #83316 on: October 19, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »

She did say "ask again later." Speaking as a gormless person ignorant of the situation here, of course, but he did put that in quotes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83317 on: October 19, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

She didn't "reject" me as such. If I remember correctly the excuses were 3 birthdays on weekends, job, gym and various others.

I at one point even tried to drop a hint that maybe she doesn't actually want me asking her. She quite literally told me to keep doing it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83318 on: October 19, 2014, 02:29:30 pm »

Honest question: why keep asking after she rejected you the first time? I hope you didn't genuinely think she was busy :S

Yes he can. I would. I can't understand social cues. Can't "take the hint." If it isn't a straight answer, I don't get it, goes right over my head. And I know I'm not the only one. So yes, he really could have thought she was being honest and not trying to drop some obscure hint someone with poor social skills won't get.

Not trying to be mean, cerapa. If you're getting girls to talk to you in the first place, you're at least not as socially retarded as I am, so that's good. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83319 on: October 19, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »

Not trying to be mean, cerapa. If you're getting girls to talk to you in the first place, you're at least not as socially retarded as I am, so that's good. :P

I used to have your attitude before this.

Trust me, It's a lot more painful to get your hopes up and then crushed, than it is to have nothing at all.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83320 on: October 19, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »

She didn't "reject" me as such. If I remember correctly the excuses were 3 birthdays on weekends, job, gym and various others.

I at one point even tried to drop a hint that maybe she doesn't actually want me asking her. She quite literally told me to keep doing it.

It may just be that LCK was your dump stat and all those were legit.

It does, however, also mean that she's not as excited for dating you as you are for her. Doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't WANT to date you, she may, for example, just be anxious. Or she agreed rashly or because she felt it would be rude to reject you but she doesn't feel like she knows you well enough to go dating, so she tries to get out of the agreement without hurting your feelings.

If she does genuinely want a date with you, she knows you're game for it - don't bring it up and if she's interested in one, she'll ask you about a possible time. If she doesn't, well, you don't force people to do what they don't want to do. If she's not interested, this doesn't mean she won't be further down the line as she gets to know you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #83321 on: October 19, 2014, 03:19:23 pm »

Trust me, It's a lot more painful to get your hopes up and then crushed, than it is to have nothing at all.
Reason I quit late in the (still unsuccessful) game. I'd rather live on, peacefully in solitude, than remain lonely and emotionally dead inside for the rest of my years.

Impart the "Play to Lose" strategy, and suddenly quit (or at least, act the part, and get over it). Maybe it'll have an opposite expected effect, relative to what a "Play to Win" strategy would otherwise provide? I've done a few PTLs already, and have met with unexpected successes here and there (not dating-wise yet; didn't experiment with that (Active PTL, like pulling a Costanza; not Passive PTL, like just plain quitting) yet.). Why not?

Otherwise, mark it off as another try that you can mention if people call you out otherwise on your opinions dating-wise. At least you had the balls to attempt.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:40:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83322 on: October 19, 2014, 03:20:51 pm »

Thanks for the hugs. Managed to recoup the two hours I lost by sleeping in, at least.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #83323 on: October 19, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »

Reason I quit late in the (still unsuccessful) game. I'd rather live on, peacefully in solitude, than remain lonely and emotionally dead inside for the rest of my years.

Impart the "Play to Lose" strategy, and suddenly quit (or at least, act the part, and get over it). Maybe it'll have an opposite expected effect, relative to what a "Play to Win" strategy would otherwise provide? I've done a few PTLs already, and have met with unexpected successes here and there (not dating-wise yet; didn't experiment with that (Active PTL, like pulling a Costanza; not Passive PTL, like just plain quitting) yet.). Why not?

Otherwise, mark it off as another try that you can mention if people call you out otherwise on your opinions dating-wise. At least you had the balls to attempt.
I think it's a mistake to think of it as a game. I'm not sure what I'd compare it to, but there's no pass or fail state; you're not a winner or loser for having or not having a significant other, you're just a person who does or does not have a significant other. It's up to each individual person to decide what that means to them.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83324 on: October 19, 2014, 04:49:37 pm »

Just found out iOS 8.1 is going to be "fixing" the trick pretty much the entire emulator without jailbreaking community depends on. Add onto that the fact that currently no known jailbreak is going to exist for a while for iOS 8 and it looks like I'm going to be stuck with iOS 8.0.2 for a while. :( Fingers crossed that someone eventually finds a new workaround for iOS 8.1, but that is the type of thing that could potentially take years. :(
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 5553 5554 [5555] 5556 5557 ... 8167