Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5541 5542 [5543] 5544 5545 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466338 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #83130 on: October 15, 2014, 07:06:44 am »

Yeah Gamer, I'd say you're being too hard on yourself.

Heck, if spending only a short while with her makes you feel so much better about yourself and makes you try to be better that much harder then imagine what spending a lot of time with her would feel like, even if you don't measure up to that standard you set currently, I bet your sweet ass that you'd grow into the role with time.

Funny things us humans, being able to adapt to stuff like that.

And before I forget, another pain sad. For some reason my right buttcheek occasionally has a stabbing pain sensation shoot trough it while I'm walking, might be a nerve in the wrong spot or something but it started happening yesterday or somesuch and I have no idea why. It's like I'm slowly falling apart each day without really noticing it :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #83131 on: October 15, 2014, 07:29:19 am »

I don't think I could pay tuition in the US even if I get accepted to good colleges. No citizenship = no aid = hammer with "$25k~$45k" written on it falling on my head... makes me feel like all I've done is all useless like trying to wash your car in the rain. Down the draaaain~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83132 on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:28 am »

Have you considered Europe? There's lots of good schools here and a good deal have shcolarships or some other stuff that makes them incredibly cheap compared to the US ones.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #83133 on: October 15, 2014, 08:03:25 am »

I don't have any qualifications for those schools, nor information, nor languages. I only know English and Korean, and my best scores are all US-centric ones like AP/SAT. My grades are best described as "vaguely above the median".

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83134 on: October 15, 2014, 08:05:26 am »

I accidently spent my lucky coin.
:(

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83135 on: October 15, 2014, 08:07:54 am »

I don't have any qualifications for those schools, nor information, nor languages. I only know English and Korean, and my best scores are all US-centric ones like AP/SAT. My grades are best described as "vaguely above the median".

A lot of universities in non-Anglophone countries offer courses in English for international students.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #83136 on: October 15, 2014, 08:10:57 am »

Aye, I know for sure that a lot of English universities for one have many international students. I can't speak for elsewhere in Europe, but I imagine it's pretty similar.

Ninja'd: As for information, the easiest way is probably to get in touch. The worst that can happen if you email a university inquiring about applying is they don't reply or say no.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83137 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:48 am »

Bay12 is filled with too many people with shitty parents.

Max, Kaiju, and anybody else, we need to bring balance by being awesome parents.

We can do this.

We have the dadology.
I'm already teaching my eldest to Mario Kart (so much patience required, she's not the worlds most focused 5 year old). So I've got a decent start. A bit early to teach her Dwarf Fortress though. I don't get this "rule with an iron fist" thing, I just want to support whatever my kids decide to do and be there for them. Bad parents  confuse and sadden me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83138 on: October 15, 2014, 10:15:07 am »

I am a pretty bad tutor, I think.
On the other hand it was my first day - maybe I just need to be better prepaired.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83139 on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

In Germany there are plenty of programs entirely in English, depending on the field and university. There is no college here, but with good enough grades and SAT, you might be able to get into university. There are many foreign students here, and there are programs to help with financing and stuff (no idea what university costs for foreigners, because otherwise it's free).

EDIT: http://www.internationale-studierende.de/en/home/
That site has plenty of information for foreign students in Germany, about costs, financing, applying and other stuff. (BTW They say you need to speak German, but I've met students who didn't at all, so that probably depends on the program.)

I am a pretty bad tutor, I think.
On the other hand it was my first day - maybe I just need to be better prepaired.
The trick is to appear prepared. If someone asks you something you don't know, you act horrified at their ignorance and assign it to them as homework to look it up.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:56:16 am by XXSockXX »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83140 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:41 am »

skyru baby please i recall you being told to go to europe months ago

just email random unis that strike your fancy, what's the worst that can happen

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83141 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:08 am »

Neo-nazis?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #83142 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:53 am »

My HDD is, very probably, completely, utterly and unrecoverably dead.
I could use the output of badblocks as a chronometer if I wanted to, and testdisk fails to find any partitions. It may be an issue with the actual hardware instead of bad sectors, but in that case my HD is still broken, probably unfixably. A lot of evidence points not only to widespread damage but also MFT corruption aka all my files are gone.
* miauw62 sighs

This means I:
a) lose a lot of data, including the last backup of my PREVIOUS laptop.
b) probably break warranty if I replace the HD myself
c) have to replace the HD, obviously. Which will cost sixty dollars. (actually this is a happy since I thought it'd be much more, but w/e)

Shouldn't the warranty cover the HD? If it isn't then it's a shit warranty that you should probably ignore anyways.
I sent an email to check. Fingers crossed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83143 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

which university do i mail to get neonazis

is it like mormons when i say yes hello i'd like a neonazi and the university sends you a box with a neonazi in it within 5-7 business days or do they expect compensation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83144 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:34 am »

Bay12 is filled with too many people with shitty parents.

Max, Kaiju, and anybody else, we need to bring balance by being awesome parents.

We can do this.

We have the dadology.
I'm on it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 5541 5542 [5543] 5544 5545 ... 8167