Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5501 5502 [5503] 5504 5505 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471426 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #82530 on: October 03, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »

I guess it counts as breaking the forum guidelines. Still, I kind of want to see what the cat looks like.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82531 on: October 03, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

How do people finish college-length essays? I've been deleting and rearranging sentences almost as often as I've actually been adding to this stupid thing. I think it's going to be perpetually stuck around 2 pages.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #82532 on: October 03, 2014, 03:32:33 pm »

Insensitive thinking out loud. Why brain...

I'm sorry, please don't be mad at me friend

:x :-X

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #82533 on: October 03, 2014, 03:56:35 pm »

Reading this thread made me sad. :'( See if this helps. *Hugs*
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82534 on: October 03, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

Has anyone ever been made happy by this thread? Except maybe for people who are happy when others are suffering because that means they themselves aren't suffering...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82535 on: October 03, 2014, 04:09:43 pm »

Probably, but even I can't be arsed searching through five and a half thousand pages to check.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #82536 on: October 03, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

Seriously, does nobody use 50 posts per page?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82537 on: October 03, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »

No, you nutter, we don't. :P

Also, I vaguely recall people making jokes occasionally. Humor is a decent remedy for sadness, after all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #82538 on: October 03, 2014, 04:12:46 pm »

There've been derails. Like the Bay12 private island discussion.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #82539 on: October 03, 2014, 04:12:51 pm »

Probably, but even I can't be arsed searching through eighty-four thousand posts to check.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #82540 on: October 03, 2014, 04:13:26 pm »

Seriously, does nobody use 50 posts per page?
Brothers KosS, pisskop (I think), and I use 25 ppp, for it is the Holiest of Posts Per Page.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82541 on: October 03, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:04:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82542 on: October 03, 2014, 04:17:43 pm »

How do people finish college-length essays? I've been deleting and rearranging sentences almost as often as I've actually been adding to this stupid thing. I think it's going to be perpetually stuck around 2 pages.

It's easy enough to produce somewhat bland but quite acceptable essays of any length with a fairly simple method my English teacher taught me back in high school. Break your argument into distinct sentences. Make an introductory paragraph from these sentences. Follow this up with a paragraph based on each of the sentences. If more length is needed, use each sentence in each of these paragraphs into another paragraph, rewording as necessary to ensure that repetitiveness is minimized and you're not just saying the exact same thing over and over again. Follow with a conclusion.

Generally, college essays are more about presenting your argument strongly and within the prescribed parameters than it is about personal style, so blandness is not a bad thing. By using this method, you have complete control of the final length of the paper regardless of the amount of material you have to work with, and can thus focus your entire effort on whatever you are supposed to be arguing. This is the sort of shortcut most instructors approve of unless you're in a creative writing class.

In addition to shaping the length of your paper, breaking the argument into distinct talking points helps to clarify your thoughts and shore up logical inconsistencies. This makes the overall paper stronger, and your argument is much better able to withstand criticism, which is a major goal of college level writing classes.

Stating these talking points in the opening paragraph demonstrates the scope of your argument, ensures that you won't go on any tangents, and serves as an organization aid to the reader. This makes your paper much nicer to read, while making it incredibly easy to keep track of what you are talking about. This will have a distinct positive effect on your grade, which filler will not do.

Turning your talking points into paragraphs of their own keeps your arguments from crashing into each other. This allows you to deal with the pros and cons of each of your logical approaches individually, without confusing yourself or the reader.

The ability to expand nigh-infinitely on any particular argument is a godsend when you're trying to make a point. Meanwhile, the lack of blatant filler will be a stark contrast to your peers that use tricks such as excessive quoting, constant use of full names and titles of any person mentioned, or formatting tricks such as margin shaving or incremental font adjustments to trick your instructor into believing that their paper is longer than it is. Such tricks seldom work, and not using them will generate a positive reaction. That said, you should still vary your word choices throughout, and ensure that you aren't simply saying the exact same thing with different words, as that stands out greatly.

A good conclusion puts your arguments in an easily digestible form, while serving as a capstone to what you are trying to say.

This post was written using the very method I described.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #82543 on: October 03, 2014, 04:17:55 pm »

Has anyone ever been made happy by this thread? Except maybe for people who are happy when others are suffering because that means they themselves aren't suffering...
Perhaps people who get happy by trying to help people? Or people who like the support?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82544 on: October 03, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »

Well, I stand corrected, and I thank you guys for that. Nice knowing that this thread isn't a giant pit of misery and gloom. It's a giant pit of misery and gloom and occasionally an adorable cat that headbumps you.
Pages: 1 ... 5501 5502 [5503] 5504 5505 ... 8167