Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5443 5444 [5445] 5446 5447 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9413459 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81660 on: September 18, 2014, 11:47:12 am »

I just don't like putting labels on sexuality. I usually describe myself as bi/pansexual but I, personally, don't ascribe to any specific sexuality. I like who I like, and I love who I love, and I put all sorts of arbitrary limits on that just like other people.
+1. Ascribing labels to oneself and others tends to put boxes around one's thinking.

I've never understood why some people put a grey "asexual stripe" on the rainbow. Is pride really applicable to something you're apathetic about?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81661 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:05 am »

I'd never heard of asexual before.

Given previous conversation, I assume you still have a gender, but just little (Or no?) urges alongside?
I'm asexual, myself, so yeah, it's basically what you said. Romantic attraction, sure, just not sexual attraction.

Speaking of asexuality, I'm in the school library right now, studying and shit. I hear some girl being pissed off with her friends, and I'm not about to ask her what's the matter, but then the teacher comes over and asks her if she needs a private place to talk with someone, and asks her what's the matter.

Apparently, she was asexual as well, so she and some of her friends made a poster regarding asexuality. She didn't explicitly say what the purpose of the poster was, so I'm assuming it was an asexual pride thing, or something like that. The poster said "I don't need a good lay" and some other stuff.

Well, one of the dumbass teachers decided they shouldn't be allowed to be proud of their sexuality, because he found the word lay "offensive" and took down the posters without their consent and is refusing to put them back up. The teacher agreed with them, saying something along the lines of "oh my word" before they were all off like a shot, probably to go fix the problem. I would have taken a moment to stop what I was doing and give them moral support, but they left so quickly I didn't have a chance to see where they went.

This is fucking high school, I think it's time for the teachers acting like anything to do with sexuality is offensive, especially when teachers themselves bring it up frequently.

Also, I find it funny that when people in this school are scolded for talking over the teacher, they claim they're being denied freedom of speech, but then things like this happen and nobody gives half a damn. Idiots.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:06:38 pm by IronTomato »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81662 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:14 am »

Is pride really applicable to something you're apathetic about?
I love the way this is worded.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81663 on: September 18, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »

I've never understood why some people put a grey "asexual stripe" on the rainbow. Is pride really applicable to something you're apathetic about?

i shouldn't need to put anything describing my sexuality anywhere, but there are people ignorant enough to assume asexuals simply do not exist

so you can go get figuratively and literally fucked but at least acknowledge the part where i don't seek any of the meanings

you as in general you, that guy who was in charge of the military takeover of souljaland

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81664 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:22 pm »

As an update on the situation I described earlier, apparently they made posters about pansexuality, too, which were also taken down, only these ones for no discernible reason.

That does it, first thing tomorrow after I get to school, if these posters still aren't back up, I'm finding this girl so I can offer to write a petition to get them back up. Just thinking about this pisses off.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #81665 on: September 18, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »

Eh, why would your school allow people to put posters on school propriety without permission in the first place?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81666 on: September 18, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »

Dunno, a school isn't really a place for putting your views all over the walls.

NINJAD: That thing Dutchling said
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81667 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:03 pm »

Erm.

What they said.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81668 on: September 18, 2014, 12:39:06 pm »

God, I remember when some people at my school started a club to promote acceptance of homosexuals and bisexuals.

And then a ton of people started petitioning to have them shut down, and the school shut down the club that was made to promote acceptance.

...Yeah.
The Derail Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81669 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »

School systems! They're FUCKING STUPID ran by some stupid people.

My sad? Earlier, I said I had to miss school in the happy thread. Sore throat, that's it, nothing major, but it hurt too much to deal with for school.

Ten minutes ago I threw up while trying to pee. I was sitting down, because fuck you it's more comfy, and then suddenly felt like "OH GOD SOMETHING IS WRONG" I flip round, and barely get it in the toilet.

Fuuuuuck.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81670 on: September 18, 2014, 12:46:39 pm »

*High fives Koss for guys who sit down to pee*

Hope you get better, that sounds awful.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81671 on: September 18, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

I just don't like putting labels on sexuality. I usually describe myself as bi/pansexual but I, personally, don't ascribe to any specific sexuality. I like who I like, and I love who I love, and I put all sorts of arbitrary limits on that just like other people.
+1. Ascribing labels to oneself and others tends to put boxes around one's thinking.
I'm happy to accept the labels other people put on themselves, and expect only that they do the same for me, without either of us needing to worry about whether or labeling categories match up. Metaphorical boxes are much like real ones - they're helpful ways to organize and abstract things, and they can even be comfortable sometimes, or make fun toys, but you start running into trouble when you decide that the problem with things that don't fit in 'em is with the things, and not the box.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81672 on: September 18, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »

I'm happy to accept the labels other people put on themselves, and expect only that they do the same for me, without either of us needing to worry about whether or labeling categories match up. Metaphorical boxes are much like real ones - they're helpful ways to organize and abstract things, and they can even be comfortable sometimes, or make fun toys, but you start running into trouble when you decide that the problem with things that don't fit in 'em is with the things, and not the box.

+1 to all. Yes, Owlbread, I'm British. Yes, it makes me want to strangle you when you go out of your way to say Irish.

+1 on sexual labels, too :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81673 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »

Always remember - when you need a chainsaw to fit somebody into a box, probably you should not proceed with stuffing them in there. Don't be that guy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81674 on: September 18, 2014, 12:57:04 pm »

School systems! They're FUCKING STUPID ran by some stupid people.

My sad? Earlier, I said I had to miss school in the happy thread. Sore throat, that's it, nothing major, but it hurt too much to deal with for school.

Ten minutes ago I threw up while trying to pee. I was sitting down, because fuck you it's more comfy, and then suddenly felt like "OH GOD SOMETHING IS WRONG" I flip round, and barely get it in the toilet.

Fuuuuuck.

Ugh, I had that happen once when drinking, luckily there was a bathtub right next to the toilette. Also, hurray for lazy people. Just because you can pee standing up, doesn't make it a particularly good idea, especially when drinking or tired, because aiming is hard.
Pages: 1 ... 5443 5444 [5445] 5446 5447 ... 8166