Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5398 5399 [5400] 5401 5402 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9422593 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80985 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:38 am »

All of my roommates are really proud of their 40K gaming and I'm not. Every time their family or girlfriends or whathaveyou comes over, they're always 'Oh, this is what we do, check out our hobby room, you should try a game!' whilst I spend all of my time trying to hide my gaming.

I feel uncomfortable every time I see a person who's genuinely not interested do that vague look of 'Oh, sure, look, it's a little model man', but I honestly can't tell if it's real or if a lifetime of my prejudices are just causing me to See patronizing where there's actually just curiosity.

I've had this issue with all my hobbies my entire life. My social awkwardness compounded the feeling of dread I first felt when I realized I was ranting at my parents and, while professing interest, I realized they were not interested at all. Now, it drives my wife crazy, as I'll be playing a game and she'll ask "what are you playing" to which I'll respond "a game". Because I feel weird saying the name of a game I'm playing. Part of my self development is to work on this, and to remind myself that I like my hobbies, and that's all that bloody matters. I am making slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
Yeah, I react the exact same way, except I wouldn't normally call myself an awkward guy. I'll just be having a conversation with a mate, and someone will pick up a model or something and be like 'What's this?', and I'll just say something like 'Oh, nerd stuff, don't worry about it', and shift the conversation.
I think the problem is that this was fine when I was still big into sport and pretty active, because I kept gaming from people so they wouldn't make assumptions that I was just One Thing- but now I'm not and gaming is pretty much my life, so all other smalltalk kinda dries up.

Worst moment was recently when I was playing W40K with one of my mates (huge ork player), and his uncle walks in to watch. His entirely redneck uncle. So I'm sitting there watching this guy stare at our game with a half-grin, basically just making my rolls as quickly as possible so I can gtfo- I say to my mate 'Last round for now, we'll put it on hold for a bit after that, I could use a break' (Standard occurrence), and he's like 'Hell no man, my next turn is going to be awesome!' The next turn rolls around, he screams out 'Waaaaaagh', and I leave the room. Takes about 1 min before he chases me up and tells me I'm completely ruining his fun unless I get out there and continue playing in front of his VB-drinking uncle.

Some of the differences I have with these people are just massive.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #80986 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:49 am »

"WHY DO YOU HATE CAVES"

They're dark and scary. And sometimes filled with angry short folks
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #80987 on: September 08, 2014, 10:45:01 am »

Summer: cool warmish
Winter: cool coolish/coldish
Autumn and spring: cool but rainier
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80988 on: September 08, 2014, 11:19:21 am »

It's theorized that a certain probability of gayness is advantageous evolutionarily because gay uncles and such help with child-rearing. So if you're gay, your family line will prosper!

And it's a pretty ridiculous theory given that A, children where raised by whole settlements anyway; and more importantly B, being gay doesn't prevent anyone from having children. Just look at all the middle-aged closeted men who had families and children before realising they were/daring to come out as gay.
Love, scriver~

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80989 on: September 08, 2014, 11:41:58 am »

All of my roommates are really proud of their 40K gaming and I'm not. Every time their family or girlfriends or whathaveyou comes over, they're always 'Oh, this is what we do, check out our hobby room, you should try a game!' whilst I spend all of my time trying to hide my gaming.

I feel uncomfortable every time I see a person who's genuinely not interested do that vague look of 'Oh, sure, look, it's a little model man', but I honestly can't tell if it's real or if a lifetime of my prejudices are just causing me to See patronizing where there's actually just curiosity.

I've had this issue with all my hobbies my entire life. My social awkwardness compounded the feeling of dread I first felt when I realized I was ranting at my parents and, while professing interest, I realized they were not interested at all. Now, it drives my wife crazy, as I'll be playing a game and she'll ask "what are you playing" to which I'll respond "a game". Because I feel weird saying the name of a game I'm playing. Part of my self development is to work on this, and to remind myself that I like my hobbies, and that's all that bloody matters. I am making slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
Yeah, I react the exact same way, except I wouldn't normally call myself an awkward guy. I'll just be having a conversation with a mate, and someone will pick up a model or something and be like 'What's this?', and I'll just say something like 'Oh, nerd stuff, don't worry about it', and shift the conversation.
I think the problem is that this was fine when I was still big into sport and pretty active, because I kept gaming from people so they wouldn't make assumptions that I was just One Thing- but now I'm not and gaming is pretty much my life, so all other smalltalk kinda dries up.

Worst moment was recently when I was playing W40K with one of my mates (huge ork player), and his uncle walks in to watch. His entirely redneck uncle. So I'm sitting there watching this guy stare at our game with a half-grin, basically just making my rolls as quickly as possible so I can gtfo- I say to my mate 'Last round for now, we'll put it on hold for a bit after that, I could use a break' (Standard occurrence), and he's like 'Hell no man, my next turn is going to be awesome!' The next turn rolls around, he screams out 'Waaaaaagh', and I leave the room. Takes about 1 min before he chases me up and tells me I'm completely ruining his fun unless I get out there and continue playing in front of his VB-drinking uncle.

Some of the differences I have with these people are just massive.

I was playing 40k with a few friends a few years ago, most of them from out of town, we have a blast and swing by a nearby bar. It's pretty dead (we finished up around 3 or 4 and were famished), and the waitress asked what was the cases we had, so one of my friends says "we play with little plastic men!", lifts his massive case on to the table flips the lid, and starts showing off is IG army. I'm sitting there mortified. It was all I could do to not bolt for the door.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80990 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »

El Nino predicted to be puny this time around, and will not alleviate the drought as most people hoped (though experts know better.) Still, it looks like it might dribble a bit today.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80991 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:16:26 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80992 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »

Update on missing kittens: They are back!
Details in happy thread.

For sads to stay relevent: I have to get my blood drawn today. :'( I hate needles...
Also had problems getting my driver's licence renewed because people are goobers. And my picture on it is terrible.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80993 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »

Meanwhile, despite it being abnormally hot for September, it was hot and *steamy*. This is the South, after all.
We've actually been drought-free this year.

Meanwhile, it's gotten so bad in California that the whole state is rising anywhere from a quarter-inch to a half-inch, just from the lack of weight pushing down on the continental plate.  :o

In a paper published this week in Science, the team estimates the deficit at nearly 240 gigatons, or 63 trillion gallons of water. That much water spread across the entire western United States would run four inches deep.

It's lead some to suggest a new state flag:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #80994 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:41 pm »

Needs more heads.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80995 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:16:34 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80996 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »

The LA and OC areas are doing ok for now, though the San Gabriel and Sierra reservoirs are looking a bit frightening. The Central Valley is looking pretty sad though. And it's still bloody hot all over.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80997 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:32 pm »

Yep. I'm jumping state ASAP.
Come to Iowa, it never stops raining. We're the Britain of the Midwest this year apparently.

It's actually kind of a problem, and I like rain, so you can imagine what everyone else around here thinks (and, more importantly, I'm actually kind of worried that it might be too much water for the crops, although then again I'm sure too much water is an easier problem for farmers to engineer around than too little).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:59:43 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80998 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »

"WHY DO YOU HATE CAVES"

They're dark and scary. And sometimes filled with angry short folks
I have a pretty decent apartment, thank you very much.

So, 'Murrica has a drought...

Never should have seceded, should you now? :P
We don't have a drought here in the land of the biggest freshwater reserves in the world! Handland FTW.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80999 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:49 pm »

For once, we don't have a drought over here. Usually we do.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5398 5399 [5400] 5401 5402 ... 8167