Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5397 5398 [5399] 5400 5401 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419613 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80970 on: September 08, 2014, 03:30:08 am »

All of my roommates are really proud of their 40K gaming and I'm not. Every time their family or girlfriends or whathaveyou comes over, they're always 'Oh, this is what we do, check out our hobby room, you should try a game!' whilst I spend all of my time trying to hide my gaming.

I feel uncomfortable every time I see a person who's genuinely not interested do that vague look of 'Oh, sure, look, it's a little model man', but I honestly can't tell if it's real or if a lifetime of my prejudices are just causing me to See patronizing where there's actually just curiosity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #80971 on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:51 am »

To explain:

Someone else has already summed it up pretty well. "Being 'straight' isn't a choice, embracing my evolutionary nature that leads me to a partner of the opposite sex is." Biology is biology. For any race, society, or species - aside from the few which reproduce asexually - to continue, there has to be reproduction between opposing sexes. That being said, thousands of species show homosexual tendencies, just like the Greeks and a ton of other ancient societies did; however, they still continued male / female relations which is why we're all currently here.. Maybe you can 'choose' to have relations with someone of the same sex, but 'choose' isn't even close to the right word that should be utilized. Your upbringing, surroundings, and the environment you live in all influence who or what you find attractive and what you want to engage in sexual relations with. At the end of the day, if you aren't fucking the opposite sex, your family lineage is bound to die out. Get a sperm donor or have in vitro fertilization, but it isn't biologically normal to do so. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't like some lesbian action from time to time? And if you want to be gay, then so be it. But don't bring a child up in that situation; don't predispose them to a greater risk of going against the biological norm.

Which makes me realize that I'm thinking of exactly what the conservatives are afraid of. I want more people to be gay.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80972 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:08 am »

It's theorized that a certain probability of gayness is advantageous evolutionarily because gay uncles and such help with child-rearing. So if you're gay, your family line will prosper!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80973 on: September 08, 2014, 06:00:09 am »

All of my roommates are really proud of their 40K gaming and I'm not. Every time their family or girlfriends or whathaveyou comes over, they're always 'Oh, this is what we do, check out our hobby room, you should try a game!' whilst I spend all of my time trying to hide my gaming.

I feel uncomfortable every time I see a person who's genuinely not interested do that vague look of 'Oh, sure, look, it's a little model man', but I honestly can't tell if it's real or if a lifetime of my prejudices are just causing me to See patronizing where there's actually just curiosity.

I've had this issue with all my hobbies my entire life. My social awkwardness compounded the feeling of dread I first felt when I realized I was ranting at my parents and, while professing interest, I realized they were not interested at all. Now, it drives my wife crazy, as I'll be playing a game and she'll ask "what are you playing" to which I'll respond "a game". Because I feel weird saying the name of a game I'm playing. Part of my self development is to work on this, and to remind myself that I like my hobbies, and that's all that bloody matters. I am making slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80974 on: September 08, 2014, 06:34:37 am »

Oh. That comment.

The guy sounds like he's being rational, but it's the douchenozzle idea of 'Gay people are bad parents because they are gay.'

Mostly, in hinges on the same old idea of 'gay virus' that you contract by not getting your daily recommended dose of straight a day.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80975 on: September 08, 2014, 06:44:24 am »

Then again, there's reason to be proud of your hobbies. Wolfeyez was not big into sports in general until she met me. The reason? None of her exes would explain the rules or watch with her. Now she's a big fan of football (a different team than my favorite, of course,) and we watch baseball almost every night during the season. I got one of my crazier exes and a bunch of her friends hooked on tabletop RPGs by just gaming with them, even though none of them had played before. Sometimes, people just need the right nudge to be a fan of something. If people are interested but not participating, they may have lots of questions and not know where to start.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #80976 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:29 am »

To explain:

Someone else has already summed it up pretty well. "Being 'straight' isn't a choice, embracing my evolutionary nature that leads me to a partner of the opposite sex is." Biology is biology. For any race, society, or species - aside from the few which reproduce asexually - to continue, there has to be reproduction between opposing sexes. That being said, thousands of species show homosexual tendencies, just like the Greeks and a ton of other ancient societies did; however, they still continued male / female relations which is why we're all currently here.. Maybe you can 'choose' to have relations with someone of the same sex, but 'choose' isn't even close to the right word that should be utilized. Your upbringing, surroundings, and the environment you live in all influence who or what you find attractive and what you want to engage in sexual relations with. At the end of the day, if you aren't fucking the opposite sex, your family lineage is bound to die out. Get a sperm donor or have in vitro fertilization, but it isn't biologically normal to do so. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't like some lesbian action from time to time? And if you want to be gay, then so be it. But don't bring a child up in that situation; don't predispose them to a greater risk of going against the biological norm.

Which makes me realize that I'm thinking of exactly what the conservatives are afraid of. I want more people to be gay.
...Eeeyeeah.
The last orange part clicked on what I felt was wrong with the statement. Meaning there are subtle divergences in the flow of the thought to provoke a subtle point, with the flow...being argumentatively negative in those divergences. :-\
The minor details also escape the whole premise of this [like explaining how...] ._.

Also on the first 2 orange parts: This doesn't hold for everyone. Knowing myself fully in that matter--it doesn't for me.

Also again, there's adoption. Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:48:32 am by Tiruin »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #80977 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:14 am »

Sad: It's snowing here. It's still supposed to be summer! Winter, you already have three quarters of the year, give me my four months of warm!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80978 on: September 08, 2014, 10:21:45 am »

Summer: cool
Winter: cool
Autumn and spring: cool but rainier
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80979 on: September 08, 2014, 10:25:39 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:15:46 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80980 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:11 am »

I don't even understand why "biological norm" is relevant in the first place. Biology assumes we still have to hide from saber-toothed tigers every now and again, and I don't think we should aim for a situation where that is a thing again.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80981 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:10 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:16:20 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80982 on: September 08, 2014, 10:35:22 am »

"WHY DO YOU HATE CAVES"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80983 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:22 am »

"I don't hate caves. Some of my best friends are caves."
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80984 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:03 am »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 ... 5397 5398 [5399] 5400 5401 ... 8167