Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5376 5377 [5378] 5379 5380 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428792 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80655 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »

-snip-
Update on this, while she is still in an induced coma, she was able to grab and pull out one of the bolts/rods in her leg while orderlies/nurses were holding her down, so that's... news. Also, they found her phone and they now think she got distracted by her phone, saw the tree and accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake.
Well, it's good news that she's conscious. It sounds like she has a painful recovery ahead of her, but a recovery nonetheless. Hopefully they let you see her soon.
She isn't conscious. She did that while still in a coma.
Sounds like she still has brain activity of some description. That's something hopeful at least.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #80656 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:03 pm »

I honestly believe that I might be bipolar in some regard.

There's got to be a reason for random, unprovoked mood swings
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #80657 on: September 02, 2014, 01:12:41 pm »

About the earlier discussion about problems with the forum, one of the biggest problems, I believe, is that many people in General Discussion believe everything that goes on here should be serious, or more accurately solemn. Often there's a backlash against anyone who tries to start up anything silly, whereas I believe our occasional breakouts of avatar fads and suchlike are what helps keep the forum population sane [insert overused jokes about the sanity of this forum here], since it's a shared positive experience, which is one of those things that helps boost group cohesion. Without occasional bits of unwinding time, we're just a bunch of people yelling at and unloading our emotional payloads at each other all the time, which causes us to burnout from such interactions.

Another thing is that this sort of thing limits our creativity, since we're not willing to play around with ideas (what I linked may not actually have much to do with what I just said, but I'll take any excuse to share that wonderful John Cleese lecture). One of my favorite things to happen in the forums was when Aqizzar got tired of all kinds of people making threads about communism, so he made a parody thread about feudalism, which eventually turned into this whole collaborative MS Paint project/light RP thing.

Oh, and that reminds me. I hate how people nowadays seem so afraid of derails. Even if a discussion comes up that might possibly lead to a derail, people are so quick to tamp down the discussion, which is a shame, because some of the best ideas in this forum have come from derails. Really, a lot of derail discussions we've had probably wouldn't have worked if we tried to make them in their own dedicated thread. And I've seen several undeveloped ideas die off when people have tried to push a discussion into a new thread to stop a derail (I think unless it's had several pages of discussion by many different people, the chances of it surviving the transplantation are very poor).

So I don't know if we can, turn the forum back to how it used to be. It's quite possible there are just too many people these days to have the sort of clubhouse atmosphere we had back in the day. But we have to keep striving to make it better, because what else are we going to do, make another forum? That never works out. 'Though maybe that's because everyone who tries that bases theirs on something just a few members of the forum are interested in. Maybe we need to make a forum primarily based on something none of us have any interest in, like antique cobbling. Then we can just derail the shit out of the place.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #80658 on: September 02, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »

This thread is now about antique cobbling!

Discuss shoes
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80659 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

It's interesting how Bay12, self-proclaimed hub of creativity coming from devious insanity, now has a problem with wanting to stay on course and maintain order even if it might stifle creati--- Oh, shoes, right.

I find German shoes from 1904 give my feet the best support.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #80660 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »

My shoelaces just broke.

Now they're of a more appropriate length.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80662 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »

I prefer boots. Preferably steel-toed, black leather shitkickers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80663 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »

My nice combat boots have pretty much disintegrated, which is sad. Not entirely unexpected, though, since they originate from my dad's mandatory military service sometime thirty years ago.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80664 on: September 02, 2014, 02:00:49 pm »

I have a pair of handmade cowboy boots from Venezuela that look quite aged but nice. Should give them a clean!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80665 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »

-snip-
Yeah, I'll admit I'm often one for bitching about derails more than is often necessary (sorry about that), but I think there's a distinction here. Usually, what gets me going on that subject is seeing multiple pages that boil down to "I can regurgitate a rock pun*!" or "I, too, understood that reference" or "I've discovered the /me tags and want to use them for wacky behavior". Yeah, maybe there's something hypocritical about grumbling about certain kinds of silliness and not others, but I tend to like stuff like that when it's peripheral - maybe an avatar fad that doesn't get talked about constantly, or a running joke thread that branched off when it got out of hand in the source.

There's a distinction, however fuzzy, between playing around and building up camaraderie, and casually expressing your immediate whims regardless of context. There's definitely a place for both, and this is where I'm going to be a snob, but a forum is generally not a good equivalent to a chat room or Twitter. Again, maybe the nostalgia glasses, but the change in my own behavior feels like it's less that I'm afraid of things deviating from the established order, and more because I see an ever-widening mismatch between the medium and how it's being used - and it's an inconvenient one, rather than one that's simple to just ignore, because the nature of a forum means that threads can become cluttered.

But, then again, it's always possible that I'm just an old man yelling about his lawn.

*I love puns, but so help me God if I see one more person use "schist" in place of "shit", I will... be mildly annoyed, I guess. We get it, they sound kinda similar.

EDIT: Yes, boots are nice. Sadly, I can't even seem to keep a pair of combat boots in serviceable condition for more than a year.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80666 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

* RedKing now knows how to make Bauglir lose his schist.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80667 on: September 02, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

I for one prefer shoes that give a bit of support to the ankle. Currently I'm using chucks, but they're much too narrow for my feet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80668 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:54 pm »

I mostly wear comfortable tennis shoes when dressing down, or a nice pair of flats when I'm in a skirt or dress or something.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80669 on: September 02, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

I don't particularly like shoes. Still wear them thoughs.
Pages: 1 ... 5376 5377 [5378] 5379 5380 ... 8167