Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5372 5373 [5374] 5375 5376 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430760 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80595 on: September 01, 2014, 11:27:55 pm »

The problem is, free speech brings its own problems.
But even though I want to crucify some people for their opinions, I still find that a world where these people exist unpunished is still a better world than a world where you get killed for your opinion.

Of course, when it's on a forum in textual form you replace "murder" with "verbal abuse", but it still means that you get punished for your beliefs which doesn't fly with the Information Age.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #80596 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:15 pm »

Well friend me on Steam or something before you go... don't just disappear suddenly like Gryph.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #80597 on: September 01, 2014, 11:30:36 pm »

GlyphGryph is still on #bay12lb if you want to ask his contacts.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #80598 on: September 01, 2014, 11:32:39 pm »

That's a relief.  I will have to go catch up with him soon.

Also, I still love this place.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:34:49 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80599 on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:51 pm »

I'm sad that GlyphGryph left...

I don't know if I said it before, but I'm onboard for the sadness about GlyphGryph.

Also, RedKing, would you be able to PM me some kind of contact information or something in the event that you do leave? I dunno if I'd ever use it but you have a perspective I've always enjoyed reading. And I'm sad to say that

The forum community seems to be changing (hell, the whole world seems to be), and not in a direction where people like me are welcome.

is a sense I've been getting around here lately, as well. Maybe it's just nostalgia glasses.

Spoiler: Bitch Bitch Bitch (click to show/hide)

NINJA-EDIT:I'll have to figure out how to work an IRC client again, then. And don't take that spoiler too seriously - to an extent, I'm probably just in an overly grumpy mood. But it's some thoughts that've been stewing and which I needed to get out.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80600 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35:45 pm »

I am under the belief that noone wants anyone to get banned, or to disappear. Even tuypo1. I care not who they are, what they believe, or how annoying they can get. They're still a part of our genocidal, inane, insane, stupid, brilliant, retarded, genius community.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #80601 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:55 pm »

Even GreatWyrmGolds? That's one user I miss having around.
I feel a sense of... youngness reading Bauglir's post, so I think I get what he and RedKing means about the changing; albeit I'm on the other side of the change.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80602 on: September 01, 2014, 11:48:59 pm »

:( I'd be sad to see you go Redking. There's already so many of the old guard that have vanished/diminished in presence over the past couple years.

Aren't I one of the old guard? Though I did disappear for like three years.

Though nobody really seemed to notice or say hi when I came back.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80603 on: September 01, 2014, 11:49:49 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:29:55 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80604 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:48 pm »

Shame to see you go. I suppose I'll have to carry the torch of Great Carolina from here on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #80605 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:28 pm »

I suppose it does feel a little bit like there's less of a collaborative learning feel to debates on the forum these days... but it's still a more tolerant community with more residents who can appreciate and acknowledge my point of view even if they don't agree with it than anywhere else I know on the internet.  And I've stuck around here longer than anywhere else ever.

I'll also admit that there's a core membership of super-memorable and constructive-natured people that I love to see around.  Gryph was one of them.

BTW, I'm really easy to find.  I've made it that way intentionally.  I've been using SalmonGod as my screen name on absolutely everything for 17 years.  I keep the name, even though it's ridiculous, so that people I've lost touch with can always find me again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:54:15 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80606 on: September 01, 2014, 11:58:45 pm »

No acknowledgement of being old guard? Come on. Though I agree that some have disappeared or otherwise.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80607 on: September 02, 2014, 12:04:48 am »

but it's still a more tolerant community with more residents who can appreciate and acknowledge my point of view even if they don't agree with it than anywhere else I know on the internet.
This is still definitely true, but then, I haven't been looking for a very long time. If I thought otherwise, I don't think I'd even be posting about this. Realistically, it's more fair to say that Bay12's community has evolved to suit a slightly different focus than it used to - it's just that what it used to be is something I valued more than where it seems to be going, or so my ever-rosy nostalgia glasses tell me. Even so, that's kind of my problem, not everybody else's, and if I were to earnestly demand that everybody shape up and conform to my expectations, that would legitimately and unquestionably make me the asshole here.

Really just needed to get that vented, I think.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #80608 on: September 02, 2014, 12:05:40 am »

No acknowledgement of being old guard? Come on. Though I agree that some have disappeared or otherwise.

Sorry, yeah I remember you. You've been around quite a while. Just harder to recognize on sight since you don't have an avatar :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #80609 on: September 02, 2014, 12:05:59 am »

I'm sad that GlyphGryph left...

Didn't realize that. But looking at the circumstances, I'm probably not far behind him. The forum community seems to be changing (hell, the whole world seems to be), and not in a direction where people like me are welcome. And not one where I can quietly hold my tongue and try to ignore the things I see posted that make me want to bitchslap some people with all the fury of a thousand exploding suns.
The outspokenness, maybe? But not the people within the community--the community changes due to the people that inhabit it, and how outspoken they are (+attitudes).

GlyphGryph is still very much alive on #bay12lb (and very very conversational, much fun is had talking to him ;3), and there's no need to leave at all--just to either keep hold to what you treasure and your values through all this...'change'.

Though I'm pretty sure it isn't change and is more of 'new people popping up here'.

This just in: People have differing opinion.
Opinions?You snarky Objective, you. :P

Sad to see you guys leave though. Sadder, however, to see the proliferation of what causes you to leave. :S
Pages: 1 ... 5372 5373 [5374] 5375 5376 ... 8167