Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5359 5360 [5361] 5362 5363 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9417334 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80400 on: August 28, 2014, 11:14:12 am »

So you've got references! Great! If you keep looking, a better job will come along sooner or later, especially now that you have the proper motivation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #80401 on: August 28, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

Join a club? Or *gasp* a fraternity??
The problem with that is that it involves people. And regular social gatherings of groups of people. Who I don't know. Yeah. I'm not good at people. Really not my thing.

I usually don't mind being by myself most of the time, except when I really think about it. I think too much. I'd imagine a fraternity would fix that by providing booze to drown my anxiety away, but then I'd have the new problem of being a depressed alcoholic. Because I'd probably develop alcoholism from trying to drown anxiety away. And again, fraternity sounds like there'd be people and groups. Not my thing.

I'm just having a lousy day of worrying about things too much.
Aren't there any clubs related to your interests? I don't really know what your interests are, but aren't there like D&D clubs or something? Or is there a hackerspace nearby or something?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80402 on: August 28, 2014, 01:18:26 pm »

People aren't my thing either.  Which is why I'm in the library antisocially checking the forums during lunchtime instead of talking to people, even though someone tried to get me to join their lunchgroup.  So don't worry, Spehss_, you're not the only one.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80403 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »

People aren't my thing either.  Which is why I'm in the library antisocially checking the forums during lunchtime instead of talking to people, even though someone tried to get me to join their lunchgroup.  So don't worry, Spehss_, you're not the only one.
I'm at the library being anti social right now!

*High-fives peoples on Interwebs*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80404 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:52 pm »

I like to be social sometimes, but it takes a lot of energy. I've found a few people who don't drain me to be around, and they are my friends and my wife.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80405 on: August 28, 2014, 01:51:47 pm »

Hi everybody, how are you? Remember how I asked if there were any decent people in history? I now really wonder if there were any cultures, societies or even places before the late 19th century that actually disapproved of rape. I realise that's quite a touchy subject but I bore witness to a rather nasty internet discussion lately in which a bunch of rabid pseudo-liberals attacked some scottish guys who said that they were proud of being descended from vikings or something and flooded the page with evidence about how the entire history of mankind was permeated by rape and how every single soldier sexually assaulted women when there weren't any children around and how our past is basically FATAL. So I'd really like someone kind to disprove those claims so I can sleep again. Please.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80406 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »

Well, I may be inviting flak here, but the Hebrew laws do at least have some disapproval of rape in them.
Later Rome also seems to have been pretty disapproving of rape culturally, although it's a bit odd.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80407 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:08 pm »

EVERY culture has looked down on rape, with a few caveats. Sexual slavery usually wasn't considered rape in most eras, and there's been more than a few cultures where rape was simply considered part of the plunder from raiding. Note that in both cases, this applied only to small "not-us" groups, and rape within a society was generally not only condemmed, but carried stiffer penalties than is now standard.

As for rapes in wartime, with the exception in modern time of the IJA's "comfort women", the similar crimes perpetuated by the SS and (to a lesser extent) the Wehrmact on the Eastern Front, and the Red Army's sanctioned rampage of revenge later in the war, it was generally considered something distasteful that happened, which was only prosecuted in the most disciplined of armies (this, for example, was part of the reason most armies in the 1700s didn't deliberately target officers, as they were afraid of what the largely conscript armies of the time would do without the iron hand of their commanders), but was rarely explicitly condoned.

In short, disapproval of rape was nigh-universal throughout history, but the definition of "rape" tended to be a lot fuzzier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80408 on: August 28, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »

E: Something went wrong there. Still, it's good to see you, Knit!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:04:57 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #80409 on: August 28, 2014, 03:47:01 pm »

So, one of my parents' friend's son was assaulted last night and was later pronounced legally dead.

However, he's still got a sliver of life in him and he's on life support. They're hoping for a miracle, but I don't know.  :-\

My parents learned about this while I was at school, so that was fun coming home to... :(

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80410 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

I'll be back far more often once I get to my new university in Edinburgh. Right now I'm just a bit busy dealing with the emotional shock after reading the first book of G. R. R. Martin's magnum opus, hailed around here as being "wonderfully historically accurate".
Seriously, this thing is harder to read than Soviet WWII veterans' memoirs - at least there you have some people who weren't horrible rapists, robbers and marauders, and on both sides at that. Mr. Martin, in my opinion at least, just keeps piling atrocities on and on like they are scenery descriptions. Perhaps he experiences some form of catharsis from writing about situations that he has never personally experienced in his pampered and sheltered first world life? Or maybe that is his method of coping with depression, disillusionment and other negative feelings, as was almost customary for many authors in ages past? Or instead he may simply be a literary scoundrel such as the infamous Suvorov - Rezun, writhing things that are not commonly discussed nowadays and thus are likely to shock the reader, be they true or false, as a part of a ploy to secure fame and wealth to himself?
Regardless, his works reveal to me such an unfathomable abyss of horror and despair that I find myself anything but entertained and interested in his saga's continuation.
The aforementioned overzealous liberal rape sermon was just the last straw that broke the proverbial's camel back.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #80411 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »

Of course, it is fantasy.

It's in its own world, one not our own.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80412 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

Panic attacks hit me hard all day yesterday and escalated to crippling fear for no reason around dinner. highlights include breaking down in tears and screaming for an ambulance, being completely fine in the ambulance, and then freaking the fuck out in the hospital and knocking over trays because I was hyperventilating so much I lost all feeling in my extremities and face. The only thing I could do to get anyone was scream because they never gave me a call button. They gave me a double dose of Ativan, which knocked me out for a couple hours, and discharged me immediately after I woke up because "we can't find anything wrong" even though the only diagnostic test they did was take my temperature.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80413 on: August 28, 2014, 05:45:37 pm »

So, one of my parents' friend's son was assaulted last night and was later pronounced legally dead.

However, he's still got a sliver of life in him and he's on life support. They're hoping for a miracle, but I don't know.  :-\

My parents learned about this while I was at school, so that was fun coming home to... :(
Here's hoping he pulls through. That's pretty scary stuff, especially not knowing until later.

Do they know the perpetrator?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #80414 on: August 28, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »

I feel lonely, but at the same time I don't want to talk to anybody. It makes me angry and even more lonely.

AlleeCat, that's really bad. Reading this thread made me want to cry.

* McDonald hugs everyone
I'm with stupid |
                      v
Pages: 1 ... 5359 5360 [5361] 5362 5363 ... 8167