Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5351 5352 [5353] 5354 5355 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415278 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #80280 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »

http://vimeo.com/38013872
HOLY
Argh
The end came as a....surprise that nearly made me hit the ceiling.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #80281 on: August 25, 2014, 11:21:54 pm »

I find it easy to talk to girls, but being gay is probably a factor.
And then there's IronTomato, who finds it extremely easy to talk to anyone, but needing to do it pisses him off because he hates everyone.

Oh, and the first day of my 10th grade year comes in a few days. I'm sure this will be absolutely swell.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80282 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »

I still haven't figured out how these American "grades" work. How old is the average 10th grader? I'm assuming it doesn't directly correlate to the NZ Year 10, which is populated primarily by fourteen year-olds. Unless IronTomato is fourteen, but I'll never know, because I can't be arsed to check.

Also, why is it starting in August? (September?) Why not at the start of the year, like sensible education systems?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:35:05 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #80283 on: August 25, 2014, 11:35:23 pm »

American 10th grade is for 15-16 year olds, and is also known as High School Sophomore year
It's FEF, not FEOF

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80284 on: August 25, 2014, 11:35:51 pm »

Grade+6=Age. Birthdays and early starters throw it off, but most will follow that formula.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #80285 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:36 pm »

I was always Grade+5.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80286 on: August 25, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »

I was always Year+3, because I skipped a year and the default formula here is Year+4. First year of highschool is 11.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80287 on: August 26, 2014, 12:14:42 am »

And then there's IronTomato, who finds it extremely easy to talk to anyone, but needing to do it pisses him off because he hates everyone.

Oh, and the first day of my 10th grade year comes in a few days. I'm sure this will be absolutely swell.
Same with me, except I'm not really sad about it.

I still haven't figured out how these American "grades" work. How old is the average 10th grader? I'm assuming it doesn't directly correlate to the NZ Year 10, which is populated primarily by fourteen year-olds. Unless IronTomato is fourteen, but I'll never know, because I can't be arsed to check.

Also, why is it starting in August? (September?) Why not at the start of the year, like sensible education systems?
I'm in Canada, so it's grade + 5 (well, I was born late in the year, so it's currently +4 for me, but it is +5 for most people).
It is starting in September for exactly that reason: a sensible education system would start at the beginning of the year, and our system wants to make sure that nobody ever mistakes it for being sensible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80288 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:46 am »

The real reason it starts in August/September is because it marks the end of Summer farmwork, which was crucial in getting children to actually attend public school when farmers were a large portion of the population. Even now, there is still a problem of poorer children not going to school because they have to work for their family in some capacity.

There are Year-Round schools which do away with Summer vacation entirely in favor of evenly distributed vacation weeks, but this system has thus far proven terminally unpopular.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80289 on: August 26, 2014, 12:20:54 am »

Same with me, except I'm not really sad about it.
Same here. I have absolutely no idea what is going to hapen. The school board is either insane or so out of touch with what's actually hapening as to be functionally so. At least my school is getting renovations or something this year for actually being dilapidated enough to warrant a grant.

I'm in Canada, so it's grade + 5 (well, I was born late in the year, so it's currently +4 for me, but it is +5 for most people).
It is starting in September for exactly that reason: a sensible education system would start at the beginning of the year, and our system wants to make sure that nobody ever mistakes it for being sensible.
It starts in September because September is the end of warm weather[Usually]. A cold Canadian is an industrious Canadian! And we want all that industry from frozen young ones to be channeled into EDUCATION!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #80290 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:27 am »

The real reason it starts in August/September is because it marks the end of Summer farmwork, which was crucial in getting children to actually attend public school when farmers were a large portion of the population. Even now, there is still a problem of poorer children not going to school because they have to work for their family in some capacity.

There are Year-Round schools which do away with Summer vacation entirely in favor of evenly distributed vacation weeks, but this system has thus far proven terminally unpopular.
unpopular yes but it works better then a long arse single vacation
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80291 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:55 am »

The typical American begins 13 years of compulsory education (with caveats, many don't complete it and drop out in high school) at the age of five (sometimes six). The first year of schooling is called Kindergarten, and was formerly little more than a glorified day care for part of the day that taught a few extremely basic skills such as the alphabet and counting, hence why it doesn't have a number. Nowadays, the cirriculum is quite a bit more advanced (early childhood education in general is far more advanced than it was when I was a small boy, with Sesame Street and other preschool programs covering shockingly sophisticated subjects such as set theory, gravity, and verb tenses), and K students generally go the entire day.

As for starting at the end of summer, our school system is still locked in an agricultural paradigm, with students off school during the summer months (not even ten years ago, school didn't start until the second week of September, now many start in the third or second week of August) because that was a very busy time in old-timey farming (global warming has shifted the growing season a bit, so it no longer matches up), and nobody would have even considered sending kids to school when there was critical work to be done. Starting after the summer closure reduced the amount of forgetting.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80292 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:44 am »

Oooookay. In NZ "kindergarten" refers to a place where you send children younger than five for whatever reason. It's also known as "preschool" and it sometimes includes basic education in counting, speling, etc. School starts at age five (generally), which is year one, and continues to year thirteen. School is compulsory up to the age of sixteen, regardless of what years you have completed.

Summer in the southern hemisphere is in December to February, so school starting in February makes sense.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80293 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:40 am »

We have preschools, but they're pretty much exclusively private institutions.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80294 on: August 26, 2014, 12:47:53 am »

Not exactly. We do have Head Start, which is a semi-federal preschool.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 5351 5352 [5353] 5354 5355 ... 8166