Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5233 5234 [5235] 5236 5237 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446970 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #78510 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:19 am »

I'd rather be on fire than covered in that Aussie's liquids.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78511 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

I just don't even know what I'm doing with my life.

I decided to stop taking my dumbass antidepressant medication, because there's only so many times I can swallow my pride, and that's a reservoir that's pretty dried up.

I walked over to the YMCA, and just stood outside for a minute looking at it, before again making the mile trek back to my car from where I parked. I'm not sure if I want to join or not, the proposition seems scary, there's no place in the outside world that seems like it even wants me around. I don't even know if it would be a good idea, there's just so much in my head that can go wrong, just so terribly wrong.

And then I'll have to try to explain to my therapist, but from our last few sessions I get the distinct feeling he just doesn't give a shit anymore. Just from our lest meeting, the drive home had left me weakened and sickened. I just don't know what to do now.

Hey it's my post, what are you doing here.

In all seriousness, I find drinking tons of alcohol helps.  It passes the time quickly so you don't have to live through it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78512 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:58 am »

I decided to stop taking my dumbass antidepressant medication, because there's only so many times I can swallow my pride, and that's a reservoir that's pretty dried up.

I walked over to the YMCA, and just stood outside for a minute looking at it, before again making the mile trek back to my car from where I parked. I'm not sure if I want to join or not, the proposition seems scary, there's no place in the outside world that seems like it even wants me around. I don't even know if it would be a good idea, there's just so much in my head that can go wrong, just so terribly wrong.

And then I'll have to try to explain to my therapist, but from our last few sessions I get the distinct feeling he just doesn't give a shit anymore. Just from our lest meeting, the drive home had left me weakened and sickened. I just don't know what to do now.

In all seriousness, I find drinking tons of alcohol helps.  It passes the time quickly so you don't have to live through it.
Erm, in this situation if you're going to drink alcohol (certainly not arguing against that as a solution!) you should do it in a public area such as a bar/pub/party rather than at home by yourself. The former is a healthy experience that is actually likely to help with your problems, the latter is... generally a pretty bad idea. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #78513 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:16 am »

Well, I thought I was clear.  If you are going to insult people and post screenshots mocking them and so forth, you can have a week, like CaptainMcClellan.  Please continuing trying to work on this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78514 on: July 15, 2014, 11:40:48 am »

On topic: the right fan on my Macbook has started making whirring sounds that are louder than they should be. I hope it's just a bit of dust that's being pushed around in there, but I think I'm going to have to replace the fan. Bluuugh. At least the computer is under warranty, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78515 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:06 am »

The Toad has spoken!
Let's forget this ever happened.
Don't forget it happened. Learn from it, lest ye doom history to repeat itself.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78516 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:34 pm »

Erm, in this situation if you're going to drink alcohol (certainly not arguing against that as a solution!) you should do it in a public area such as a bar/pub/party rather than at home by yourself. The former is a healthy experience that is actually likely to help with your problems, the latter is... generally a pretty bad idea. :-\

There is not a single thing about alcohol that has ever led me to believe that it's at all a positive thing. It's always been to me the beginning of this lifelong downward spiral into the increasingly fat sacks of ignorant shit that people just BECOME as they get older, relishing the release from life rather than life itself.

And the very concept of it scares the everliving shit outta me, I've gone out of my way to be a teetotaler just because I mentally associate drinking with this utterly violent, out of control nature and culture that just seeks to get this cheap thrill and shit on itself afterward. My whole adolescent childhood was just me watching my Mom get shitfaced and beat the shit out of fucking whoever was nearby, her boyfriend, family, me, it didn't fucking matter, it was like the story of asking the scorpion why it stings you, because that's just it's nature.

And the idea of this kinda thing that just dissolves your judgment temporarily, that scares me so badly. What if I followed your advice and went out drinking, and I found out I liked drinking, but I ALSO found out that I'm a violent and angry drunk just like my Mother? That, more than anything else, MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, would be the most legitimate reason for me to go out, buy some kind of weapon, and fucking kill myself, just to kill that seed of evil before it ever has the opportunity to germinate.

When I ask myself every day what I have to live for, just the possibility of accidentally adding a reason to end it all scares me to death. Fuck, man, it's terrifying.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #78517 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »

Mmm, yeah, alcohol's probably not your solution. It probably wouldn't end like that, (though you might be more at risk than others) but I doubt it would help. You'd probably just end up wasting time and money. 

Also, I don't see why taking antidepressants should hurt your pride. It's hardy your fault you need them.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78518 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:14 pm »

I have to agree with Joshua on the booze thing, I really fail to see how that would help at all. Even if it did happen to numb the pain (and not cause potential violence as a side effect) then it still wouldn't actually be helping to fix anything.

Just finding ways to numb yourself doesn't help.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #78519 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »

I have to agree with Joshua on the booze thing, I really fail to see how that would help at all. Even if it did happen to numb the pain (and not cause potential violence as a side effect) then it still wouldn't actually be helping to fix anything.

Yep.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78520 on: July 15, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »

I'd like to point out that sometimes, numbing out the pain is the only way to keep going. I speak from experience.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78521 on: July 15, 2014, 12:25:49 pm »

Not as a way to numb yourself, as a way to overcome inhibitions and actually interact with people, which from what I've read is one of his main problems. :-\ That was the whole point of my post. It sure made my life a whole lot better.
But whatever, I gave up trying to give people good advice ages ago, since it generally gets this reaction when I do.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #78522 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:43 pm »

Also, I don't see why taking antidepressants should hurt your pride. It's hardy your fault you need them.
This.

Note: Alcohol is a bad idea because it probably won't actually improve your ability to handle life if it's a coping mechanism, comes with a variety of shitty side-effects, and gets expensive fast. If numbing happens to solve the problem, it solves the problem. I hear that's how some antidepressants work, and while that's shitty for a lot of people, there are also a lot of people for whom it's a lot less shitty than the alternative, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know if that's the case with what you were on, but please don't buy into the idea that there's an effective, yet somehow wrong, way to treat an illness.

Ninja: I don't really know about using alcohol as a social lubricant, so I've got no comment there. Above paragraph applies only to using it as an emotional anesthetic.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78523 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:51 pm »

Not as a way to numb yourself, as a way to overcome inhibitions and actually interact with people, which from what I've read is one of his main problems. :-\ That was the whole point of my post. It sure made my life a whole lot better.
But whatever, I gave up trying to give people good advice ages ago, since it generally gets this reaction when I do.
No, your advice is sound. I'm just not one to give the advice to not drink to drown out depression, having spent years of my life tuning out most things through other means.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78524 on: July 15, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

I am on anti-depressants and I am still depressed.  Increasing the dose from here adds a bunch of side effects without much help.  It's mostly my current situation, or something like that.  I dunno.  I get so sad at home I just drink a beer or two to make the time go quicker.

It's absolutely horrible, I know, but I have run out of options to deal with it in other ways.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 5233 5234 [5235] 5236 5237 ... 8167