Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5191 5192 [5193] 5194 5195 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438080 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77880 on: July 02, 2014, 04:34:35 pm »

BOO!

I found out who is directing the Jem and the Holograms movie.

There is no hope in hell that this movie will be good now. It is just going to be Hannah Montana the movie 2.

I know no one cares, but honestly Jem and the Holograms was an insane and fun show with a surprising amount of depth if you watch enough of it. With villains who were fun and you could root for.
Wait, what?  There's a Jem and the Holograms movie in the works?  I did not know this.

Yeah its been known for a while. Even the actors are already known.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #77881 on: July 02, 2014, 06:11:00 pm »

:/ Suddenly I feel like I really miss the old FG&RP, from back in the days of the suggestions game renaissance and the two years afterwards.
It's FEF, not FEOF

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #77882 on: July 02, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

Oh, I think I figured out why I've been tired all the time, and possibly why I managed to lose weight eating a diet composed primarily of pasta, fried vegetables, and cheese. Protip, guys, if you're eating meat, cook it thoroughly. I have only myself to blame, if this hypothesis is correct. Doctor's appointment scheduled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnWIICkBeE (Safe, Canadian)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77883 on: July 02, 2014, 06:35:47 pm »

Just remembered that I was supposed to cross-train today. I was going to learn a bit about maintaining one of the presses, but the thing crapped out like it usually does.

So instead I was sent to go shrink wrap some stickers. I'm a klutz, so I burned myself a few times.

Also, how do people talk to one another? Someone turns their attention to me and I turn into a five-foot ball of nervous tics that refuses to look at them. This even happens with family. The best advice I've ever gotten for dealing with it is "Nervous tics don't exist and you are doing that on purpose."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #77884 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:13 pm »

Also, how do people talk to one another? Someone turns their attention to me and I turn into a five-foot ball of nervous tics that refuses to look at them. This even happens with family. The best advice I've ever gotten for dealing with it is "Nervous tics don't exist and you are doing that on purpose."

Best advice I've gotten on it is "Just be yourself." Cliched, but true.

The paraphrased discussion I got this advice from was somewhere along the lines of "Just be yourself and don't worry what other people think. Generally, people will have lower expectations of your social skills than you think they do, because you're a crazy perfectionist who thinks everyone else is just as much of a perfectionist as you are, when in reality people aren't that up tight. You think any mistakes will be instantly noted and written down and you'll be instantly rejected and scorned, when in reality most people are just ok with you talking to them, and these people won't notice or remember any of the mistakes you think are so painfully obvious and terrible." Not the absolute exact wording but hopefully it gets the point across, most people aren't making excessive notes of every little thing you do wrong while talking to them.

So yeah, just be casual and be yourself and stuff. You'll get the hang of it or something.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77885 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

I don't particularly like myself though :V

And people do tend to complain when they talk to me. Like I said, I actively look away from people when talking, which tends to anger people. I also get complaints about my tendency to stare/lack of blinking.

And my fidgeting even bothers me. I can't seem to keep my hands away from my face, and it has distracted people trying to talk to me before.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77886 on: July 02, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »

And people do tend to complain when they talk to me. Like I said, I actively look away from people when talking, which tends to anger people. I also get complaints about my tendency to stare/lack of blinking.

And my fidgeting even bothers me. I can't seem to keep my hands away from my face, and it has distracted people trying to talk to me before.
Probably check what parts of ya you don't like about yourself--if possible, commit to conscious action (like the fidgeting? If its something you can control, then try to?)

Did they ask you about the looking away thing? Would be impractical to get :I over that without even talking about it (which...is quite weird. Why wouldn't you talk about it if it gets you angry -_-).

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77887 on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:24 pm »

Like I said, my mother denies that nervous tics are a real thing, and she has been the only one to even note my tics more than once.

Plus she taught me not to look at people when I was young and no-one bothered to call me out on it as I grew up. I only learned of quite a few of my tics in the past two years, when my manager brought them up, such as always having my head tilted towards the ground. Turns out that my 'up' is most other people's 'forwards'.  :-\

I think I may have developed something in my neck from looking down all the time. I don't actually know though, as my only x-rays were for my lower spine when I was checked for scoliosis. Which my mother also occasionally denies I have, despite x-ray evidence.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:16:41 pm by BlackFlyme »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77888 on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:12 pm »

:-\
Well, keep in mind that there's a reason behind everything--a reason behind those tics. What was the reason behind not looking at people//looking at the ground? There's nothing wrong with looking at people and speaking to them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77889 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:54 pm »

When I was younger, my mom told me not to look at people. I don't know why though, but then again, I don't know why she does a lot of things.

Maybe it embarrassed her or something. That's not a hard thing to do.

All I know is that she told me that looking at other people in the eyes is a sign of aggression, and if I do it, the people I looked at would attack me.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #77890 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »

Well I know the trick for public speaking is practice and that's sort of similar. Maybe try talking to people more and making a conscious effort to avoid exhibiting the habits you don't like. Naturally at first it'll be hard but with time, it should improve. Perhaps to start, practice with some family members you are closer to or maybe even in front of a mirror. I might even consider something like looking up youtube videos on public speaking or joining a club/class if one is available.

For the record, I've had many people in the past tell me that my speech was a bit slurred and that I was a nervous speaker and now only several years later, I have many people tell me I'm a great public speaker (except when I'm tired when I slip back to my old habits). Deep down, I'm still a horrible introvert but most people would never guess it unless they truly know me and I'm often one of the best conversationalists in a group. It can take a lot of time but it's totally worth it in the long run as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77891 on: July 02, 2014, 08:25:26 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:52:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77892 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:51 pm »

@_@
Erh, maybe she (alright, not maybe) missed out the context in explaining why. Looking at others in the eyes is a sign of aggression in very situational cases--in general everyday cases, there's nothing wrong with looking another in the eye xD
Perhaps when tensions are raised that it means eye-eye = aggression...But not in normal (note: more than 99%) cases.

Try to study on that case there BF. It ain't normal--understand the reasons behind things. Unless there is a perceived instance of aggression wherein there is none, then the behavior is not normal at all (wherein normal = understandable)

Perhaps...its also a thing on your mother's side :/

PPE:
When I was younger, my mom told me not to look at people. I don't know why though, but then again, I don't know why she does a lot of things.

Maybe it embarrassed her or something. That's not a hard thing to do.

All I know is that she told me that looking at other people in the eyes is a sign of aggression, and if I do it, the people I looked at would attack me.

Which cultural background is your mom from, Flyme? That tends to be one of those things that's really different between, say, East Asia and Western Europe.
Ahh, yeah ._.
Here in Asia, there's also that notion of EYE-EYE = :I, but the belief usually stems from perceptions and assumptions. Probably presumed threats on disrespect in his case? It's not common nowadays though (as said by personal experiences in asking elders of 1-2 generations prior to me)

Though isn't it also a belief in the west on that note too? I've seen some films (can't recall what or their name) that show that kind of attitude.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:32:48 pm by Tiruin »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77893 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »

Born in and spent her childhood in Scotland, highschool and up in Canada.

The rest of her family isn't like her, from my (admittedly limited) experience, though her mom can grate on my nerves at times.

E: And I can honestly say that I don't know if looking people in the eyes is aggression is a thing here in Canada. I have never really spent much time outside of my room. It's even where I ate all my dinners until I was around 15. My mom bought a tray for me, even. Just give me my food and tell me to go eat in my room, alone.

I think my mom may be insane. Or just insanely neglectful. She knew about my scoliosis since I was about seven, but did nothing about it until someone else noticed it when I was sixteen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:46:47 pm by BlackFlyme »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77894 on: July 02, 2014, 08:45:13 pm »

That sounds like the words of someone who's very fearful and/or prejudiced, thinking that other people will attack if you "disrespect" them by looking them in the eye, like a canine power-struggle.

The prejudice would be if she's the kind of person who thinks that "those people" in "those areas" are like animals, or in other words, black people in the ghetto or what-have-you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 5191 5192 [5193] 5194 5195 ... 8167