Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5158 5159 [5160] 5161 5162 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416343 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77385 on: June 23, 2014, 11:30:28 pm »

... Well, my comparative literature supervisor was in a car accident, now in the hospital, and I seem to be very suddenly out of work.

Whether we're able to work something out or not, I'm really, really hoping she ends up okay.
That's a hell of a way to lose a job. Good luck to her, and by extension, you as well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77386 on: June 24, 2014, 12:03:18 am »

I remember thinking, "I wish Summer would hurry up and end so I could wear long sleeves without looking crazy and smelling worse," and now it's Winter and I'm eating those words. Waking up with a sore throat and runny nose EVERY. FREAKING. MORNING is not fun.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77387 on: June 24, 2014, 01:10:45 am »

... Well, my comparative literature supervisor was in a car accident, now in the hospital, and I seem to be very suddenly out of work.

Whether we're able to work something out or not, I'm really, really hoping she ends up okay.
*opens mouth to say something, then shuts it*

*uses sign language to express condolences*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77388 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:37 am »

*opens mouth to say something, then shuts it*

*uses sign language to express condolences*
Just say it :P
Silly 4mask.
Nothing can go wrong since you're aware of your words.
*hugs Vector ;_;*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77389 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:44 am »

normally i enjoy heavy rain.

but meatspace schedules mean i have to go out in ten minutes ARGH

let's hope it passes soon... ;_;

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77390 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:44 am »

I really, really hate my job. But thanks to high unemployment, if I quit it I'll be getting lectured for the rest of my life by everyone that knows me and a lot of people that don't, and I really hate that too. Frankly it seems like the least painful decision here is to simply do myself in.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #77391 on: June 24, 2014, 06:46:16 am »

I feel very incompetitive for good schools. :/ __constant academic woes__

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77392 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:42 am »

I really, really hate my job. But thanks to high unemployment, if I quit it I'll be getting lectured for the rest of my life by everyone that knows me and a lot of people that don't, and I really hate that too. Frankly it seems like the least painful decision here is to simply do myself in.
Who says you need to quit to look for other jobs?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77393 on: June 24, 2014, 06:55:57 am »

Well, there's no other jobs to look for. Between enduring for another ~35 years here and not living for another ~35 years, the latter is looking like a more attractive choice.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77394 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:31 am »

Can't you... get out of there? Go somewhere else? If life is that soul-crushing where you are, that would seem like a better option to me. If you feel so tied down that your only option is to keep slaving away doing what you hate, it might be a good idea to re-evaluate the importance of just what it is you're tied to.
People often feel that they're stuck somewhere, that they have to stay where they are out of some sense of place/duty.
Bollocks to that, I say. As the saying goes, "When times get tough, leave the tough to suffer through it and hit the road to someplace better".
Booze is Life for Yoink

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77395 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:21 am »

The whole country is the same, and migrating to a better one is kinda hard if you're not a doctor or something. And yeah, I'm running on nothing but duty to other people these days. I've been wrecking my brain trying to think of one single reason for living, and I couldn't come up with anything other than other people's wants and needs. I just don't really want anything. Hell, I'm not even spending the money I'm making on this job, last month I loaned a month's salary to a friend and I was perfectly aware that he's never going to pay me back.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #77396 on: June 24, 2014, 07:46:12 am »

The whole country is the same, and migrating to a better one is kinda hard if you're not a doctor or something. And yeah, I'm running on nothing but duty to other people these days. I've been wrecking my brain trying to think of one single reason for living, and I couldn't come up with anything other than other people's wants and needs. I just don't really want anything. Hell, I'm not even spending the money I'm making on this job, last month I loaned a month's salary to a friend and I was perfectly aware that he's never going to pay me back.

Where are you from?

[EDIT: Bosnia? Well shit.]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:48:24 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77397 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:36 am »

you sir

you are whom i feel

and i do so deeply

i'm just going to say, if you don't have the balls to save up six months' salary and try and strike a new life, you won't have the balls to end the old one. no, legit, i ain't testing you with this one. it takes either mania or sheer willpower

do me a favor and try the former so i have something to look forward to, an actual relatable example

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77398 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:02 am »

All the more reason to pull up your roots and find a reason for living, then.
In my current situation I don't really have any reasons for living, either, but I'm aware that there are reasons out there.
For now I'm stagnating, but I'm confident that before too long I'll get sick of this and do something to change it. That's what most people do- it's just important to make sure that said change is a positive change when it comes, not just ending your life or something to escape your problems.

If it weren't for the fact that we live on opposite sides of the world, you could move in to that apartment I've been eyeing off in my city and we could both have a change for the awesome, heh. Basically though, there is always something good in the world if you keep an eye out for it, even if most of it is pretty shit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77399 on: June 24, 2014, 08:31:14 am »

Yesterday sucked.
I got pushed off the bed, then ended up getting hut in the ribs twice, and it hurt the whole day.
Then took my cats to the vet, when my older cat got a shot, the needle broke off inside him. Thankfully there was still enough sticking out to pull it out, though. Also, my younger cat has asthma.
Then took my wife to the doctor and she nearly fainted because they had so much trouble taking her blood.
I had planned to go to the library at some point, but because of everything taking so long, I never got to. And then I had my last visit with my friend and I'll never see them again, and they won't have access to the Internet for multiple months.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5158 5159 [5160] 5161 5162 ... 8167