Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5146 5147 [5148] 5149 5150 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9410794 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77205 on: June 21, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »

I love how GS gets fined for their role in this, not one person from them gets prosecuted, and all the yahoo commentors out there make people like him out to be the victims, as if they couldn't help themselves and really it's the government who are to blame for creating these conditions that tempted them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #77206 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:56 pm »

Yeah, I lost any last remnants of trust in bankers one day during lunch at a nice little British pub in downtown Austin. It happened to be really close to a bunch of big bank offices downtown, and so many of the patrons happened to come from there. Well, this particular day, a pair of investment bankers come in and start chatting about how they're going to be audited. They then continue to talk about how bad the regulators are and how easy they are to fool, telling story after story about doing so. All followed up with a wonderfully summarizing sentence.

"Just keep your head down and forget about your morals for a few days and we'll be fine."

So here's my general feeling about investment bankers: Just throw them all in jail pre-emptively; they're all probably doing something illegal. At absolute best, they're leeches on society; and that's only when they aren't embezzling the foundations out from under the entire world economy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:49:50 pm by alway »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77207 on: June 21, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

I don't understand how people like that can leave their homes at this stage of society without being deafened by cries of shame.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #77208 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

And at the end of the day, they'll always have more money than you
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77209 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »

actually i will repurpose this post

I don't understand how people can leave their homes at this stage of society without being deafened by cries of shame.

well i wouldn't but then i would die of starvation and/or boredom

and then nobody wants to host someone who would leech off of them in perpetuity

so i guess i'm fucked
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:21:42 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77210 on: June 21, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:09:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #77211 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »

I don't understand how people like that can leave their homes at this stage of society without being deafened by cries of shame.
They embody values capitalist societies hold up as ideals?  They're upper class?  Many who favor free market politics subscribe to the idea that if you have money its because you deserve money?

Shunning people that aren't universally agreed to be bad makes you look like an ass?  I'm just throwing ideas out there.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77212 on: June 21, 2014, 04:46:53 pm »

Some asshole hit my car tonight,

I'm driving down the road, in the left lane, there was a car in the middle lane behind me to my right,
Some guy cuts us both off coming from the opposite direction, making a left turn, crossing in front of us,
I see him and slow down, the guy to my right doesn't see him until the last second and slams on his breaks, and swerves to his left, slamming into the back right side of my car. 

I pulled over, to exchange information,  He stopped for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the road, and just speeds off.
I wasn't able to get his license plate.

My car isn't super fucked up,  there is a big dent in the side, and I think my rear axel might be fucked up.

I wish he stopped so I could get his insurance information,  I don't have full coverage, so my insurance won't do anything about it.
It would have easily been a few thousand from his insurance company if he stopped,  he either didn't have insurance, was drunk, or didn't have a license, or I could think of a few other reasons he didn't stop.
How's your local police department? If you can spare the time, it couldn't hurt to report the hit and run, give a description of the car, and describe what happened. Especially if you got the car model, which combined with the color and the part of their car that's damaged should help narrow down the range to a feasible one. Doubly so if you even got a partial license plate.

The local police are a joke,

I got arrested the other day because I was walking down the street, and some guy pulled a gun on me and I called the cops.
he lied to the cops and my brother and I got arrested.  He told them we were kicking his garage door, and fistfighting in his yard, which we weren't.

I don't trust local police, 

I have a friend who was walking down the street minding his own business, police told him to freeze and put his arms up, and when he did they shot him.  They lied on the report and ended up getting 2 months paid vacation, even though several eye witness reports came out that showed the cops were lying about what happened.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77213 on: June 21, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »

Some asshole hit my car tonight,

I'm driving down the road, in the left lane, there was a car in the middle lane behind me to my right,
Some guy cuts us both off coming from the opposite direction, making a left turn, crossing in front of us,
I see him and slow down, the guy to my right doesn't see him until the last second and slams on his breaks, and swerves to his left, slamming into the back right side of my car. 

I pulled over, to exchange information,  He stopped for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the road, and just speeds off.
I wasn't able to get his license plate.

My car isn't super fucked up,  there is a big dent in the side, and I think my rear axel might be fucked up.

I wish he stopped so I could get his insurance information,  I don't have full coverage, so my insurance won't do anything about it.
It would have easily been a few thousand from his insurance company if he stopped,  he either didn't have insurance, was drunk, or didn't have a license, or I could think of a few other reasons he didn't stop.
How's your local police department? If you can spare the time, it couldn't hurt to report the hit and run, give a description of the car, and describe what happened. Especially if you got the car model, which combined with the color and the part of their car that's damaged should help narrow down the range to a feasible one. Doubly so if you even got a partial license plate.

The local police are a joke,

I got arrested the other day because I was walking down the street, and some guy pulled a gun on me and I called the cops.
he lied to the cops and my brother and I got arrested.  He told them we were kicking his garage door, and fistfighting in his yard, which we weren't.

I don't trust local police, 

I have a friend who was walking down the street minding his own business, police told him to freeze and put his arms up, and when he did they shot him.  They lied on the report and ended up getting 2 months paid vacation, even though several eye witness reports came out that showed the cops were lying about what happened.
Oh, so you live in Detroit?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77214 on: June 21, 2014, 05:05:10 pm »

... yeah, given that I probably would be trying to avoid them as much as possible.

In minor sads, I just managed to pretty much destroy an old jackie chan video tape (First volume of the Fearless Hyena, for what that's worth, box art from '95) by seeing if it'd work in an apparently junky VCR player. Thing caught the tape part of the tape and snapped it :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #77215 on: June 21, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »

Sooner or later ex-boss is going to leave. Which will mean that the department loses it's one famous figure, and one of the three or four people who actually know what they're doing.

I kind of have a dim hope of this happening *after* I finish my residency and leave for greener pastures.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:34:35 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #77216 on: June 21, 2014, 05:40:59 pm »

Available on Youtube if that helps. I hope it does, at least a little.

My mother has once again called me a failure. How lovely. The only way I can get through it is to perform some amazing mental gymnastics and laugh at it as free entertainment: her foolishness that is.  [sigh].

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #77217 on: June 21, 2014, 06:28:37 pm »

Really minor sad:
Of the ~10 I originally allowed myself for the steam sale, I have ~5 dollars left. I'm waiting for Medieval 2: Total War to go on sale for more than it is, but then I noticed Skyrim was on sale. For 5 dollars. Now I can't decide which one I want. :-\ Wait for M2 to go down farther - which it might not - and get great mods for it or get Skyrim now for probably more money but tons of good RP mods and more. Regrettably I already have Skyrim on console, so I'm slightly leaning towards to the not guaranteed but 100% brand new choice of Medieval 2.

* Worldmaster sighs
:-\

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #77218 on: June 21, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »

Then again, the wonderful world of PC Skyrim mods.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77219 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:03 pm »

Available on Youtube if that helps. I hope it does, at least a little.
*waggles hand* It was more sadness for the tape than what was on it. Thing was probably... almost 20 years old? Was still working, too, until the VCR ate it. Now there's just a lonely volume 2 tape sitting on the dresser.

Was checking it for a grandparent more than anything... when it comes to media acquisition via internet, am old dab hand and whatnot.

Sentiment appreciated, though, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5146 5147 [5148] 5149 5150 ... 8166