Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5138 5139 [5140] 5141 5142 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9408051 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77085 on: June 19, 2014, 06:02:38 am »

You could do that, too, though. Flexible scheduling is something that's probably built into any decent adult school's methodology -- since they're often working around working individuals and people dealing with specific issues (GED prep, etc), they kinda' have to. It would be built into any decent school's methodology, but when you're running a shitty half-ass creche system, standards lower :V

For me, though, switching tracks every hour was pretty close to literally driving me insane, and notably cutting into academic performance from every angle. When I cut it back to something like two or three any one day, things became much less pressured. I was getting more done despite spending less hours a day on schoolwork, and feeling a lot better about it beside.

College after the general education stuff was goddamn bliss. Yes, give me nothing but related classes for the day, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:06:43 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #77086 on: June 19, 2014, 06:22:21 am »

Study woes~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77087 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:43 am »

A rule of thumb is that the smaller the class size, the better.
It seems to plateau out below 0, as far as I know.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77088 on: June 19, 2014, 07:09:41 am »

I have no motivation left at all. One more.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #77089 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:02 am »

I know. All the other exams have drained me. And then I look into the daunting face of biology and I think

"Awh, hell no"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #77090 on: June 19, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

Two more. The 2 hardest.
Then I can chill. Then I can watch the new films, head to a gaming cafe, frequent a couple of bars, and in general just not work.

On the subject of class sizes, my school/college had some very small classes - in fact, some were a bit too small. My Ancient Greek class at GCSE contained 3 people, and my Further Maths class contained 4 - in both of them we did as much chatting as working, because in a class that small you become used to the teachers and things get too relaxed. Of course, it depends on the teacher, but it's a general trend that holds.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77091 on: June 19, 2014, 09:41:02 am »

My Business Studies class held maybe seven at GCSE. The teacher was an eejit, though.

Most stayed at the 20-25 mark for GCSE, but the only one that maintained that size after GCSE was English Literature, and people have steadily been dropping it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77092 on: June 19, 2014, 11:17:19 am »

Two more. The 2 hardest.
Then I can chill. Then I can watch the new films, head to a gaming cafe, frequent a couple of bars, and in general just not work.

On the subject of class sizes, my school/college had some very small classes - in fact, some were a bit too small. My Ancient Greek class at GCSE contained 3 people, and my Further Maths class contained 4 - in both of them we did as much chatting as working, because in a class that small you become used to the teachers and things get too relaxed. Of course, it depends on the teacher, but it's a general trend that holds.
I find that after a while, there's not much more to talk about except the work. Though, to be fair, the work *can* start tangents on it's own.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77093 on: June 19, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

Hmmmm..... the problem is with the kind of people taking A-level Further maths (aka, 2 maths a levels in 1 option) and GCSE Ancient greek, notorious for being both pointless and overtly difficult, we all tend to be insane. Which results in a tendency to derail that could rival even Bay12. Seriously, we wrote half of a LotR musical in Ancient Greek :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77094 on: June 19, 2014, 11:39:42 am »

... But that's studying, innit? Using the language.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77095 on: June 19, 2014, 11:41:04 am »

Allow me to clarify - in Ancient Greek class. The only non-course stuff we did in Greek were a load of random Oedipus jokes.

Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77096 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:08 am »

Oedipus jokes?

Please tell me you didn't discover a new variant of the "Yo mamma" jokes :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #77097 on: June 19, 2014, 12:17:15 pm »

Tried to go for a walk to gather and cool my thoughts etc....

Small woman with fairly large dog that is clearly too big for her to handle comes walking down the street from the other direction. This thing is pulling her everywhere and she has to full on dig in her heels and put all of her strength into restraining this mutt. The mutt is barking, jumping and pulling her like crazy....

I decide to just silently say screw it and start to turn around to just not deal with this crap. Evidently, this is not good enough.

She calls out for me to stop and "...just let us pass, cause he thinks you're in his space. He won't bite...."
My response is pretty simple "It's ok, I'll just go back where I came from and not bother you two (her and mutt)."
Her reply is pretty stupid, "Well that doesn't help me much."
Seeing this, I say, "You really need to control your animal, because if my leaving doesn't help...."

My first thought is somewhere close to being that it isn't my problem you can't control your animal.... I hate being right, because this thing breaks loose and tries to bite me. The dog is about 150 lbs, and pissed. She threatens to sue me after I kick it in the face and it runs off whimpering. I hand her my card and say "try it." By the way, your homeowner's insurance will probably force you to euthanize that dog if it knows you're now on notice that it is a biting hazard. I recommend a muzzle and obedience school. If there's nothing else...?"

I really don't like overprivileged people. Your dog doesn't trump a human being, especially if it is violent.

I am still not relaxed. Going to try and fix that. Will talk with police to head off any stupidity she may do. I don't want any action taken against the dog though (the dog warden would kill it).

Edit: overprivilledged, not "underprivileged" damn auto correct, doesn't recognize overprivilledged as a word.... Figures.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:02:08 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77098 on: June 19, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »

I know. All the other exams have drained me. And then I look into the daunting face of biology and I think

"Awh, hell no"
Wait, you have Biology tomorrow too?
Heh, quite the coincidence.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77099 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:24 pm »

wrong thread
Pages: 1 ... 5138 5139 [5140] 5141 5142 ... 8166