Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5093 5094 [5095] 5096 5097 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442336 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76410 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:04 am »

Wait, your entire household contains no sharp objects?
You don't... live in a padded cell, do you? :P
I live in a dormitory. The kitchen is locked. My knife is too dull.

I can't even procure sharp objects to cut myself with.
Don't. And stop.
That won't help you at all.
Why? I'm going to be safe about it, it's not like I'll accidentally cut too deep if I get a sufficiently sharp knife.
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. >_>
And by that, I mean the effects and how you're really reinforcing those thoughts brooding there.
Being "safe" about it is not doing it at all.
It's not like I'll get addicted to it. This ain't substance abuse.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #76411 on: June 11, 2014, 03:36:08 am »

The set of actions that one can getaddicted to is not a subset of substance abuse actions~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76412 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:43 am »

no, it's just that everything is a substance

like you're huffing internet right now

and obj's gonna get addicted to consuming tiny amounts of knives with their flesh

l e g i t

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76413 on: June 11, 2014, 04:17:39 am »

Don't. And stop.
Why? I'm going to be safe about it, it's not like I'll accidentally cut too deep if I get a sufficiently sharp knife.
And by that, I mean the effects and how you're really reinforcing those thoughts brooding there.

Actually yes, you will, and yes, it is. The way it works is that injury causes a pain response including an endorphin wave. So you're artificially inducing high levels of a neurotransmitter, which is the same thing drugs do. And the endorphin wave feels good, so you get positive reinforcement.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76414 on: June 11, 2014, 04:23:32 am »

This: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/10/supermarket-prawns-thailand-produced-slave-labour

Quote from: The beginning of that article
<snippy snippy posty posty>
Hang on, prawns and shrimp are different things. I could drive to the supermarket and buy a generic bag of prawns and a generic bag of shrimp and they would contain different things. What this boils down to is that The Guardian doesn't know what it is talking about.

no, it's just that everything is a substance
like you're huffing internet right now
and obj's gonna get addicted to consuming tiny amounts of knives with their flesh
I sometimes absent-mindedly eat the skin off my fingertips. I also like the taste of my own blood. Which isn't quite the same as getting addicted to cutting yourself, but eh. I tried that once too, but it hurt too much.  :'(
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76415 on: June 11, 2014, 04:47:19 am »

Don't. And stop.

Actually yes, you will, and yes, it is. The way it works is that injury causes a pain response including an endorphin wave. So you're artificially inducing high levels of a neurotransmitter, which is the same thing drugs do. And the endorphin wave feels good, so you get positive reinforcement.
TL;DR: If you like doing it, it's addictive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76416 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:47 am »

Even if I do get addicted to it, that hardly would be a big problem if I don't mess up.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76417 on: June 11, 2014, 05:10:21 am »

Even if I do get addicted to it, that hardly would be a big problem if I don't mess up.
Cutting yourself with a knife is very prone to accidental major injuries.
._.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76418 on: June 11, 2014, 06:09:44 am »

As a Medical student, Objective, I heavily warn you and inform you that cutting yourself shall not aid you, your predicament, your problems or fix any of them in any way unless your problems have to be with being healthy, and even then, it's still not a feasible, logical or constructive thing to do. For you.

Also your blood cells will be :I

That's a sign of problems--afflicting you or bothering you. Curiosity? Perhaps, but the underlying idea is much more malicious than mere curiosity. If you wish to talk about it or seek aid--go to someone you trust there. Talk with parent/s or siblings perhaps? Bestest-best friend? Or us, for that matter (though seriously someone IRL is much better as it has more branches of communication than text) :v

But if you're seriously just curious--go to a licensed and legitimate blood donation area. Veinous blood is dark red, arterial blood is bright red. Both are warm to the touch. They also generally taste metallic. If you are bleeding profusely, you'll feel pressure--pain in areas where the nerve endings have been injured.

But seriously. Don't. Cut. Yourself. Sure, there's a thing called endorphins. But there are tons of better ways to trigger such things that WON'T hurt you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76419 on: June 11, 2014, 06:10:24 am »

Plus the scars look shitty. Have you been to a psychiatrist? That can really help - I'm speaking from personal experience here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #76420 on: June 11, 2014, 06:12:35 am »

Yea, Objective, playing with knives is just dangerous. No one wants you to hurt yourself.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76421 on: June 11, 2014, 07:02:47 am »

At its simplest: Cutting is bad.

There's a number of reasons for this. Addiction to cutting, high risk of a major injury (you get an artery you ARE fucked), unsightly scars, it can lead to worse things, if the cuts get infected, you're going to have a whale of a time sitting in hospital pumped full of antibiotics with nothing to do.

And, ultimately, it does nothing for you that other things can't do. It gives you an endorphin rush, but so does exercise, chocolate, UV light, peppers... You find it fun? There's fifty bajillion other things you can do for just as much and more fun.

Run outside while eating chilli chocolate. Endorphin perpetuum mobile.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76422 on: June 11, 2014, 07:06:04 am »

Also, "I'm going to stick a sharp object inside myself! But I'll be *safe* about it!"

... Totally makes sense.

Dumb trap. <3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76423 on: June 11, 2014, 07:22:47 am »

WHY ARE YOU SO DEFENSIVE OF SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED TO

MY PHONE CANNOT STOP TYPING CAPS I WILL FUCK THE SOFTWARE SOME MORE WHEN I GET HOME

LOUD NOISES AAAAAAAAAAA

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76424 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

Dumb trap. <3
I thought trap referred to trans people - 'faggot' may be a more appropriate (?) insult of endearment.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 5093 5094 [5095] 5096 5097 ... 8167