Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5092 5093 [5094] 5095 5096 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440852 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76395 on: June 10, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »

Brideshead Revisited is possibly the saddest and most beautiful book I have ever read.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76396 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12:06 pm »

Both a sad and a WTF: My District Manager quit today. He is a wealth of sage advice, and will be missed. I want his job, but I'm nowhere near qualified or tenured enough to get it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #76397 on: June 11, 2014, 12:07:06 am »

My gas heater is running out of gas, and it's twelve degrees inside and cold enough to freeze outside. And in a related sad, it's forecast to be raining this weekend, and I have to hike 35 kilometers through a mountain range known for being snowed on in winter. But even if it's not snowing, it will be insanely cold and there wil be water everywhere.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76398 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:15 am »

Aww, I missed whatever reply Toady deleted.
C'est la vie. Probably for the best.

Also, sum ergo therefore: Games Workshop, Australia, and other various being sad.
Just got back into it, and now it's like having teeth pulled.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76399 on: June 11, 2014, 12:13:43 am »

I wish that everyone could get adequate sleep. I, too, am in this boat, and it's starting to catch up to me. No discernible reason, like nightmares, though, just "Oh hey you're awake now. You're still fucking exhausted, of course, but you're not sleeping anymore." And, of course, I can't make up for it by sleeping later because there's construction outside starting at 9 AM sharp every morning.

But, anyway. Just, yeah, I wish this were less of a thing for everyone :(
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76400 on: June 11, 2014, 12:46:05 am »

I'm impersonally linking shit to show how people are wrong too much lately.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76401 on: June 11, 2014, 01:05:03 am »

This: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/10/supermarket-prawns-thailand-produced-slave-labour

Quote from: The beginning of that article
Slaves forced to work for no pay for years at a time under threat of extreme violence are being used in Asia in the production of seafood sold by major US, British and other European retailers, the Guardian can reveal.

A six-month investigation has established that large numbers of men bought and sold like animals and held against their will on fishing boats off Thailand are integral to the production of prawns (commonly called shrimp in the US) sold in leading supermarkets around the world, including the top four global retailers: Walmart, Carrefour, Costco and Tesco.

The investigation found that the world's largest prawn farmer, the Thailand-based Charoen Pokphand (CP) Foods, buys fishmeal, which it feeds to its farmed prawns, from some suppliers that own, operate or buy from fishing boats manned with slaves.

Men who have managed to escape from boats supplying CP Foods and other companies like it told the Guardian of horrific conditions, including 20-hour shifts, regular beatings, torture and execution-style killings. Some were at sea for years; some were regularly offered methamphetamines to keep them going. Some had seen fellow slaves murdered in front of them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76402 on: June 11, 2014, 01:11:08 am »

This: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/10/supermarket-prawns-thailand-produced-slave-labour

Quote from: The beginning of that article
Slaves forced to work for no pay for years at a time under threat of extreme violence are being used in Asia in the production of seafood sold by major US, British and other European retailers, the Guardian can reveal.

A six-month investigation has established that large numbers of men bought and sold like animals and held against their will on fishing boats off Thailand are integral to the production of prawns (commonly called shrimp in the US) sold in leading supermarkets around the world, including the top four global retailers: Walmart, Carrefour, Costco and Tesco.

The investigation found that the world's largest prawn farmer, the Thailand-based Charoen Pokphand (CP) Foods, buys fishmeal, which it feeds to its farmed prawns, from some suppliers that own, operate or buy from fishing boats manned with slaves.

Men who have managed to escape from boats supplying CP Foods and other companies like it told the Guardian of horrific conditions, including 20-hour shifts, regular beatings, torture and execution-style killings. Some were at sea for years; some were regularly offered methamphetamines to keep them going. Some had seen fellow slaves murdered in front of them.
Capitalism at work here.
._.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #76403 on: June 11, 2014, 02:26:28 am »

Trying to understand how waves work makes my head hurt.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76404 on: June 11, 2014, 02:52:27 am »

Trying to understand how waves work makes my head hurt.
Waves > Water or...some kind of other waves? :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76405 on: June 11, 2014, 02:53:12 am »

I can't even procure sharp objects to cut myself with.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76406 on: June 11, 2014, 03:08:22 am »

Don't. And stop.
That won't help you at all.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76407 on: June 11, 2014, 03:10:25 am »

Don't. And stop.
Why? I'm going to be safe about it, it's not like I'll accidentally cut too deep if I get a sufficiently sharp knife.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76408 on: June 11, 2014, 03:12:36 am »

Don't. And stop.
Why? I'm going to be safe about it, it's not like I'll accidentally cut too deep if I get a sufficiently sharp knife.
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. >_>
And by that, I mean the effects and how you're really reinforcing those thoughts brooding there.
Being "safe" about it is not doing it at all.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76409 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:19 am »

Wait, your entire household contains no sharp objects?
You don't... live in a padded cell, do you? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5092 5093 [5094] 5095 5096 ... 8167