Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5068 5069 [5070] 5071 5072 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429841 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76035 on: June 03, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »

Simultaneously pressing Shift and Alt will cycle your keyboard language settings. Happens to me quite a lot because I use Alt+Shift+S to post.
What is this sorcery.
Alt+Shift+S, in Firefox at least, will submit your post, works for most forum software I encounter on my daily crawl.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76036 on: June 03, 2014, 05:15:31 pm »

Bauglir, would that procedure help with the problem, though? Leaving medical problems untreated would probably be much more impractical than dealing with recovery during a move. Then again, I'm missing details here.
I have nobody who is both willing and able to get the time off to accompany me through the procedure on short enough notice, which is required for general anesthesia, and I certainly don't have anybody who can take enough time off to hang around and help out with wound packing after I'd be discharged, and I also have nobody to help me get the actual moving done (furniture's heavy, I'll need my full mobility to deal with it). It's a relatively minor problem, basically an irritant with a slight infection risk, which I've put up with for 5 or 6 years already - so basically, it looks like it'll be more practical to wait until after graduate school, until I have another job with insurance as good as what I've got now, to get it handled.

And, of course, there's a nonzero chance that the procedure would accomplish nothing and the problem would return anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #76037 on: June 03, 2014, 05:28:27 pm »

what do I do now? I'm done having relationships..

Google up 'MGTOW.'

It gets better.  There is support for men with broken hearts - I hope you find what you need.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76038 on: June 03, 2014, 05:40:19 pm »

I'm going to say, though, be very careful. A helpful, supporting community is very good, and you definitely deserve one. You've been unjustly hurt by somebody you reasonably expected to care for you. Based on what I've heard, and judging by MGTOW's website, though, they're as much about having a community to reassure you that their choice of scapegoat is reasonable as they are about anything that will actually help you feel better about yourself. Take your allies where you can find them, and seek out the strength you need to build yourself back up, but don't actually buy into much of anything they tell you about anybody else. Trust me, you can be strong enough to survive this without needing anybody but your ex to blame.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76039 on: June 03, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »

Mom and her boyfriend are screaming at each other. Never heard it this bad before.

It's getting pretty bad. They are both blaming each other for everything and I'm getting dragged into this shit-fest.

Today is a roller-coaster of shit.

Now shit is being thrown at me, and my mom is pissed at me.

Still screaming.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:57:30 pm by BlackFlyme »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76040 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »

My mother has MRSA in the bone in her foot after having foot surgery, it's looking like she might lose the foot, or part of it anyway... and she's been going crazy about it. She's kind of emotionally unstable at the best of times, and this has seriously driven it up to 11... And I'm really not sure how to deal with all of this.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76041 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »

I'm going to say, though, be very careful. A helpful, supporting community is very good, and you definitely deserve one. You've been unjustly hurt by somebody you reasonably expected to care for you. Based on what I've heard, and judging by MGTOW's website, though, they're as much about having a community to reassure you that their choice of scapegoat is reasonable as they are about anything that will actually help you feel better about yourself. Take your allies where you can find them, and seek out the strength you need to build yourself back up, but don't actually buy into much of anything they tell you about anybody else. Trust me, you can be strong enough to survive this without needing anybody but your ex to blame.

It's probably best to avoid that place.  It seems like a sure way to trade sadness for bitterness.  The SPLC talks about MGTOW here, down by the picture of the mustache guy:

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76042 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »

Jesus H. Christ....there's times I'm glad I don't keep up with all the news. These guys sound like grade-A cockmongers who are mostly mad at women for recognizing them as grade-A cockmongers.

wtf is wrong with people these days

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76043 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:56 pm »

Yes, a statistically significant number of them are, but this probably isn't the thread to be getting into that overly much. The important part here is that a community of people who equate their personal freedom and strength with bitterness at other people is not going to help highmax28 get past what's happened if he buys into their rhetoric - if anything, it'll only give the pain he's feeling now more power over his life.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:41:50 pm by Bauglir »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76044 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »

My suggestion: Go learn another language. I hear Gaelic is making a come-back!

* Descan shoves Fearful Jesuit in a closet along with his Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit books.

Yep. Gaelic is the way.

* Descan bolts on wood to the closet door.

Scotland!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76045 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:01 pm »

* Japa waves the sanskrit flag proudly.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76046 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »

... Damnit.

* Descan needs another closet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76047 on: June 03, 2014, 10:27:25 pm »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76048 on: June 03, 2014, 10:41:01 pm »

Sanskrit... The Latin of the middle east?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76049 on: June 03, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »

my knowledge of sanskrit is not expansive enough to construct a phrase such as "yeah nah latin is a cunt came later"

... Damnit.

* Descan needs another closet.

ooh

oooooooooooooooh

* LordSlowpoke shoves deschan back into a closet
Pages: 1 ... 5068 5069 [5070] 5071 5072 ... 8167