Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5059 5060 [5061] 5062 5063 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435693 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75900 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:57 am »

My best guess is the Korean educatonal system being related to this thread.
Your best guess is right. :-\

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75901 on: June 01, 2014, 06:28:48 am »

seriously, screw math -_-

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75902 on: June 01, 2014, 06:32:29 am »

seriously, screw math -_-
:-\
I really hope you mean screw how its being taught there...Math by itself isn't malevolent.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75903 on: June 01, 2014, 06:37:07 am »

I thought it was a statement of her affection for maths...?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75904 on: June 01, 2014, 06:39:37 am »

I thought it was a statement of her affection for maths...?
You must be kidding me.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75905 on: June 01, 2014, 06:43:41 am »

You know, I really wouldn't want to screw math. Analysis has great curves, but a character like a bipolar bobcat; Algebra is great, it's all very quick and you need some time to understand what happened; Discrete Mathematics is just no good for small talk; and Topology is just plain weird.

Scratch that, I would like to screw topology.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #75906 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:01 am »

On the plus side Sky if you ever leave Korea and study elsewhere you will be better than other people at everything.

I'm not even kidding, korean people are too overpowered.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75907 on: June 01, 2014, 06:48:27 am »

Not really. High school math of the type here has nothing at all to do with college math.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75908 on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:04 am »

Not really. High school math of the type here has nothing at all to do with college math.
>.>
<.<
Well most math you'd encounter in college is...pretty much High School math. Only with shortened deadlines and more useless stress, as a generalization. Wherein most math = those basic math subjects seen in every course which does not require math as a Major.
...Really. Even if you won't use said math in your life, it would still be taught...as if we need most of it at a time[/grrMedTechProjecting] I mean sure, there are useful pieces we can use in everyday life but >_>
Now I'm sad remembering how not right parts of the educational system is.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75909 on: June 01, 2014, 06:57:06 am »

I don't follow you train of argument...

College math is nothing, nothing like high school math. I am reasonably sure they don't run it through five obfuscations before finalizing a problem. I'd be surprised if it's anything similar, even. and then I'd jump off a cliff because I didn't sign up for 4 more years of thisno, not really

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75910 on: June 01, 2014, 06:59:33 am »

I don't follow you train of argument...

College math is nothing, nothing like high school math. I am reasonably sure they don't run it through five obfuscations before finalizing a problem. I'd be surprised if it's anything similar, even. and then I'd jump off a cliff because I didn't sign up for 4 more years of thisno, not really

I guess it depends on the educational system. Over here, we only had Calculus introduced on a college math course.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75911 on: June 01, 2014, 07:16:32 am »

Not sure what country you live in, but in Korea every science track course covers everything that an AP Calculus BC test would cover. Wait, there's more! We also mandate knowing statistics and probability up to fun things like normal distributions and z-scores. Probability are fun problems like how many dancers could a Peter Piper dance if you arrange them in a circle but with same-sex dancers not next to each other. We're not done yet! If you buy the Korean Science Track Mathematics Course, we also throw in a crash course of spacial geometry, first order transformations (2×2 matrix ones),  vectors and cross-products! By crash course I mean 6 months, maybe 200 minutes a week. Then you have to find inane values that have absolutely no meaning, like the angle from the center of the top circle to the axis in an arrangement of circles ABCD where AC touch each other and BD touch AB and something. No coordinates given.

And if that ain't enough, we also make sure to give you grades depending on how many other students you defeated! Nothing like an A that only 11% of students can get per school. Tastes like blood. Since everyone wants to be that special snowflake, on a grade of 1 to 9, top 4% are the only ones with a 1. In a very large public school that's only 24 people! And the top 11% get a 2, 36 people at the top of the grade pyramid. The rest of the sore losers (around 540) have to satisfy themselves with a 3~9. Because we made sure to directly base the grades on a normal curve, 50% of people get a 5-6, also known as a 'C' in your Westerner parlance. Happy fun days in Korea!

Our proud education system was originally copied directly from Japan which no longer uses this system thought up originally and totally uniquely by our great board of education in the early 2000s, and has been loved mostly by private subject tutors and the top 25 percent of wealth universally since.

Restrictions and regulations may apply. Contact your local Board of Education if you wish to adopt this system. Common side effects may include increase of competition, stressed students, high rate of teenage suicide, generally unhappy students, education-obsessed parents, social corruption in the form of elite university cliques, low creativity, and unhealthy lifestyle. All damages incurred by adopting this system are not liable by this company.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75912 on: June 01, 2014, 07:19:33 am »

That sounds a lot like my educational system. ._.

And when I say a lot, I mean alot [excuse the pun]. A. Lot.

The only difference being how we're graded. The grading process there is...stupid done and approved by qualified experts, right? I mean in all cases even one of them would act as someone to spot errors and decide that a student's worth is based on those they can out qualify in their certain area which makes TOTAL SENSE in any academic setting 'this is a system our youth will go through and will shape their lives. Totally nothing wrong here.'

I seriously am wondering what kinds of experts do such things and why there is little freely available note on why the bloody educational system is like how it is today.

Also there are no double strikethroughs. >_>
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:22:24 am by Tiruin »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75913 on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:19 am »

Called my mother and talked to her about coming to visit nex week.
While talking to her about all the stuff I'm busy with (she asked), I heard my father say "He's lying to you anyway" in the background.

I really could use some support and empathy every now and then.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75914 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

My homemade alfredo doesn't microwave well. I have a pile of slightly cheesy noodles sitting in a pool of butter.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 5059 5060 [5061] 5062 5063 ... 8167