Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5051 5052 [5053] 5054 5055 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443566 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75780 on: May 29, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »

I dunno why I'm so tired. Blargh - tons of energy while I'm stuck at work unable to do anything with it, suddenly frickin' exhausted now that I have the time. All I wanted to do was make a functional data structure, brain. Y u no let me?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75781 on: May 29, 2014, 09:28:29 pm »

Third long-ass day in a row. Everything is sore. Haven't had a decent sit-down meal since Monday. Blaaaaargh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75782 on: May 29, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »

Please, please drink responsibly. You don't need to form a habit on top of everything else :(
I won't.
Besides, alcohol tastes terrible, and I never really understood what's considered fun about being drunk, it just makes it really hard for me to walk.
I don't know why it's so hyped up.

Being drunk is the single best feeling ever. :-\
My sad is that there are so many people on here who dislike alcohol. I mean, seriously, what? Have you never tasted a good beer? Maybe it's just 'cause you all live in the US, where apparently the widespread beers are pretty bad. Next time you're out someplace, grab a Pabst Blue Ribbon. That's American and it tastes nice!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75783 on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »

Seriously? PBR is among the most vile of all liquids. There's tons of good beer available in the US, ranging from your basic lagers and pilsers to stouts, bocks, and reds. That doesn't even get into fairly unique styles such as Arrogant Bastard or inexplicible favorites like the dreaded triple I.P.A. They're just very pricy, and most people stick with Bud, Bush, or *shudder* PBR because those brewes are dirt cheap.

A shame that I don't have time for bought beer anymore, as I'm either drinking 100 proof rum or vodka, or else my latest homebrew experiment ( I can not wait until I get a good deal on syrup for a second try at Dr. Jalapeno. First batch got infected.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #75784 on: May 29, 2014, 09:51:52 pm »

Please, please drink responsibly. You don't need to form a habit on top of everything else :(
I won't.
Besides, alcohol tastes terrible, and I never really understood what's considered fun about being drunk, it just makes it really hard for me to walk.

My sad is that there are so many people on here who dislike alcohol. I mean, seriously, what? Have you never tasted a good beer? Maybe it's just 'cause you all live in the US, where apparently the widespread beers are pretty bad. Next time you're out someplace, grab a Pabst Blue Ribbon. That's American and it tastes nice!
Not everyone is from the US.
And alcohol tastes funny. Never liked it. :x

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75785 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:19 pm »

I won't.

My sad is that there are so many people on here who dislike alcohol. I mean, seriously, what? Have you never tasted a good beer?
Words from the forum's Dedicated Aussie.

... Yes, I also like alcohol, and beer, and getting drunk.
But I only get drunk so that I can make bad decisions.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75786 on: May 29, 2014, 09:59:04 pm »

People are really bad at selling it, then. I've never heard any description of it that wasn't closer to a nightmare than anything else. Loss of control, loss of coordination, loss of conscience, and not a damned thing gained from it.

My sad is that there are so many people on here who dislike alcohol. I mean, seriously, what? Have you never tasted a good beer?
Never tasted one, at all, and never will. I've watched entirely too many families, including my own, get wrecked by the stuff to even chance the slightest risk of getting hooked on it. M'not exactly virulently hateful of the stuff anymore -- though I was for a long, long time -- but you'll put a bullet in me before you put a brew. Only reason I comment at all is that despite a great deal of effort and a massive amount of wishing, I've still been around the stuff quite a lot in my life :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75787 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »

The few times I've tried drinking a beer, it has made me vomit quite quickly. It also seems to fundamentally taste like something someone made by mixing vegemite with antiseptic. Though I understand it may be something of an acquired taste.

I think for the foreseeable future I'm just not going to be trying to get drunk again, more because I have a policy of cutting psychotropic drugs a wide berth than anything else.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75788 on: May 29, 2014, 10:09:27 pm »

Seriously? PBR is among the most vile of all liquids. There's tons of good beer available in the US, ranging from your basic lagers and pilsers to stouts, bocks, and reds. That doesn't even get into fairly unique styles such as Arrogant Bastard or inexplicible favorites like the dreaded triple I.P.A. They're just very pricy, and most people stick with Bud, Bush, or *shudder* PBR because those brewes are dirt cheap.

A shame that I don't have time for bought beer anymore, as I'm either drinking 100 proof rum or vodka, or else my latest homebrew experiment ( I can not wait until I get a good deal on syrup for a second try at Dr. Jalapeno. First batch got infected.)

...I'm not sure we're drinking the same Pabst. :P
Perhaps they have one version for sale within the US, and another for export to us discerning Australian types?
Seriously though, I wouldn't know much about your beers since PBR is probably the only one I've tried. Not quite as nice as our local beers, but it's alright- and it has an awesome looking can! I'm not a fan of rum, so perhaps we just have different tastes in booze.

People are really bad at selling it, then. I've never heard any description of it that wasn't closer to a nightmare than anything else. Loss of control, loss of coordination, loss of conscience, and not a damned thing gained from it.
You forgot "loss of inhibitions". I have a lot of those stupid things.
But yeah, I'm not going to try and argue with you, since you seem fairly set on the matter. I'm still sad for you, though. :<

Some beers are an acquired taste, I suppose- others taste really nice from the get-go.
If you don't like beer/other alcohol because of the taste, I recommend you try cider. At least once. C'mon. For me?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #75789 on: May 29, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »

Most alcohol is blegh, good moonshine on the other hand tastes really good.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75790 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:24 pm »

...I'm not sure we're drinking the same Pabst. :P
Perhaps they have one version for sale within the US, and another for export to us discerning Australian types?
Seriously though, I wouldn't know much about your beers since PBR is probably the only one I've tried. Not quite as nice as our local beers, but it's alright- and it has an awesome looking can! I'm not a fan of rum, so perhaps we just have different tastes in booze.

To approach the taste of Pabst Blue Ribbon, open a can of Heineken. Drink it next week. You're about a quarter of the way down to what we call the "bum beer" level, which includes Natural Ice, PBR, and Old Milwaukee. It does come in a pretty sharp can, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75791 on: May 29, 2014, 10:17:46 pm »

You forgot "loss of inhibitions". I have a lot of those stupid things.
I noted loss of conscience and control already, ha.

If you don't like beer/other alcohol because of the taste, I recommend you try cider. At least once. C'mon. For me?
Cider tastes just fine without alcohol in it. No need to ruin delicious hot spicy apple juice with ethanol :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #75792 on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »

Cider tastes just fine without alcohol in it. No need to ruin delicious hot spicy apple juice with ethanol :P
^
Or...water.
 :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75793 on: May 29, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »

To approach the taste of Pabst Blue Ribbon, open a can of Heineken. Drink it next week. You're about a quarter of the way down to what we call the "bum beer" level, which includes Natural Ice, PBR, and Old Milwaukee. It does come in a pretty sharp can, though.

I'll get back to you on this.
I generally avoid Heineken, but if it's as good as you say...

Re: Cider: Non-alcoholic cider is an abomination. You might as well just drink apple juice!
Also apparently the good stuff is often called "hard" cider, huh. Didn't know that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #75794 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:09 pm »

I dunno, nice warm cider with bucketloads of nutmeg and cinnamon, and a bit of honey, is pretty damn good. But then again, alcohol is like kryptonite to me.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 5051 5052 [5053] 5054 5055 ... 8167