Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5039 5040 [5041] 5042 5043 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447624 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75600 on: May 27, 2014, 03:34:26 pm »

Yeah, I don't think being nice actually makes you any less likely to be bullied. In my opinion, it actually makes it more likely, since the bullies will think that you are easy to pick on and won't respond strongly.
I dunno about that, it seems to work fairly well here. I was generally polite and had no problems.

Then again, for two years people thought I was going to chop them into pieces and eat them. Even had a teacher tell me that she figured I'd be the one to go insane and murder everyone. I was scary but polite?
Sounds like nearly every criminal mastermind.

* Th4DwArfY1 Looks shrewdly at Lyeos
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75601 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:26 pm »

I feel for you Ice. My parents weren't THAT bad (well, my dad isn't at all), but my mom never could comprehend how I could possibly enjoy a game that is more complicated than, say, Bejeweled, would call it stupid and the like, and heavily limit how long and often I could play.

To that degree I've developed a habit of browsing EVERYTHING in Incognito Mode while having only mail and the like opened in the normal window, and ALT-TABbing out of EVERYTHING as soon as she entered the room.

My parents would be more suspicious if I did that.

Sorry to be a spoil sport :P

They might be suspicious, but they can hardly ban you from doing anything if they don't know what to object to.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75602 on: May 27, 2014, 03:45:10 pm »

Sweet hell are you wrong there. That's the point they just start banning everything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75603 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »

Sweet hell are you wrong there. That's the point they just start banning everything.

Good. Then they're paranoid enough you can start using reverse psychology on them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #75604 on: May 27, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »

What if they're so paranoid they suspect reverse psychology?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #75605 on: May 27, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »

You'll have to use reverse reverse psychology.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #75606 on: May 27, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »

I dunno, but silence works for me. I learned to deal with bullying by withdrawing inward and ignoring everyone. It worked, but in the long run it probably hasn't been the best idea. I'm still working at pulling myself out of my shell.
I did much the same, with similar results.  Although, I think the shell is a permanent fixture at this point. 

Also, while that approach did ultimately get me through, it also exposed the "if you ignore them they'll get bored and stop" advice as utter bullshit.  If anything it just motivated them to try harder.
It's more of a half-truth. After a while, they do stop trying to get at you. But that's not where the protection comes from. What happens is that you just stop caring what anyone says or does. So some may still be after you, but you become so isolated within yourself that nothing outside phases you. Sure, most people won't bother you any more, but you'll probably drift away from your friends, since you stop being available to them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75607 on: May 27, 2014, 05:04:19 pm »

What the hell type of schools do you lot go to?

I mean, damn. I've seen people get verbally put down all the time and called it bullying, but damn.

Someone needs to go through your schools and rebuild the entire system from the bottom up.
It seems that most teachers don't know how to deal with bullying, or the bullies act nice to everyone aside from their victims, so the victims must be making it up, or the teachers don't give a fuck or any number of other reasons.

At my school, bullying was punished by 'Don't do it again, shake hands.', which the teachers seemed to think resulted in friendship and rainbows and such, as opposed to... y'know, the bully beating the snot out of you the next day (or group of bullies, as it was for me).

My brother was the only person who actually seemed to do something towards stopping them. Mainly by acting as someone I could run to who would beat them up.

Urgh, god, yes. You'd think all teachers have learned that bullying is a thing at 25 or something.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75608 on: May 27, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »

Back when I was at school if someone made fun of me I just made fun of them back. If they got butthurt over it and started a fight I would kick their ass.
Of course, then they just brought in more and more people till they eventually won... Still worth it, though.

Edit: I should mention that this isn't intended to promote violence to anyone, I just found that it was highly satisfying way to deal with bullies.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:11:28 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75609 on: May 27, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »

I just silently stared them down. Kinda helped everyone knew I made knives and armor too, I guess.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75610 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:42 pm »

Back when I was at school if someone made fun of me I just made fun of them back. If they got butthurt over it and started a fight I would kick their ass.
Of course, then they just brought in more and more people till they eventually won... Still worth it, though.

Edit: I should mention that this isn't intended to promote violence to anyone, I just found that it was highly satisfying way to deal with bullies.

This sounds to me like internet bragging, but eh. Sure. Why not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75611 on: May 27, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »

I dunno, but silence works for me. I learned to deal with bullying by withdrawing inward and ignoring everyone. It worked, but in the long run it probably hasn't been the best idea. I'm still working at pulling myself out of my shell.
I did much the same, with similar results.  Although, I think the shell is a permanent fixture at this point. 

Also, while that approach did ultimately get me through, it also exposed the "if you ignore them they'll get bored and stop" advice as utter bullshit.  If anything it just motivated them to try harder.
It's more of a half-truth. After a while, they do stop trying to get at you. But that's not where the protection comes from. What happens is that you just stop caring what anyone says or does. So some may still be after you, but you become so isolated within yourself that nothing outside phases you. Sure, most people won't bother you any more, but you'll probably drift away from your friends, since you stop being available to them.
For me they never stopped, it continued right up until high school was over despite it being years since I'd given them any kind of reaction.

Being an adult's been much more pleasant, but I do wish the whole social interaction thing came at least slightly more naturally to me so that if I went out I'd actually get some enjoyment out of it instead of just feeling awkward and uncomfortable - that was kinda already a problem for me as a kid (hence becoming a target in high school) but it was amplified and ingrained into me so much more for my coping method at school that I've pretty much given up on trying to overcome it now.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75612 on: May 27, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »

>Punishment for spitting on a wad of tissue, soaking it in water, and throwing it at someone, then loudly calling them a filthy nigger in the hallway : Nothing
>Punishment for vocally expressing I disapprove of this : Yelled at, threatened with detention
IM FUCKING VENTING IN THE RAGE THREAD AND ITS DOING NOTHING. I NORMALLY EXPRESS MY THOUGHTS IN WRITING BUT MY FUCKING DAD IS MAKING ME STOP BECAUSE HE WORD FOR WORD THINKS THAT BOYS WRITING MAKES THEM FAGGOTS. I'M CUTTING INTO MY FUCKING ARMS AND LEGS, OPENING UP SCARS, AND DRINKING ENTIRE LITERS OF SOFT DRINK JUST BECAUSE I CANT DO ANYTHING BUT FUCKING TYPE. IM GRIEFING SMALL BYOND SERVERS TO HELL AND BACK, LAYING DOWN, NOTHINGS WORKING. I. CANNOT. VENT. MY. SHEER. GODDAMN. FRUSTRATION.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75613 on: May 27, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »

I'M CUTTING INTO MY FUCKING ARMS AND LEGS, OPENING UP SCARS
Get. Help.

I cant claim I've been there, but I've been in similarly bad places - and let me tell you, you need to get help. Before something worse happens.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75614 on: May 27, 2014, 07:21:26 pm »

I'M CUTTING INTO MY FUCKING ARMS AND LEGS, OPENING UP SCARS
Get. Help.

I cant claim I've been there, but I've been in similarly bad places - and let me tell you, you need to get help. Before something worse happens.
WHO DO I EVEN ASK FOR HELP
Pages: 1 ... 5039 5040 [5041] 5042 5043 ... 8167