Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5015 5016 [5017] 5018 5019 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430232 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75240 on: May 22, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »

On the one hand, I didn't get the apprenticeship. On the other, it's because I'm apparently overqualified.

Overqualified is sometimes "employer speak" for they think a person is just trying to use the job as a temporary stopping point to get noticed or some experience that'll let them get a better job, so they won't be stuck there for as long as they want and will move onto greener pastures soon. Considering that's the point of apprenticeships...I guess they think you'd actually be able to go straight into the work-after-the-apprenticeship?

Either that, or you're good enough to have an idea of what you're actually worth, and are too great a risk of pushing for better wages, benefits, or -god forbid- actually daring to suggest that the system that they, in their infinite wisdom, have set up may be inefficient or badly designed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75241 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:57 pm »

Brain uses LOLMOODWHIPLASHOUTOFNOWHERE! It's super effective!

LOLMOODWHIPLASHOUTOFNOWHERE hits scrdest in the good mood. The severed part flies off in an arc!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75242 on: May 22, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »

And another half-hour-and-still-going conversation with my nan, where she goes in circles and yells at me.

Today has been a terrible day so far.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #75243 on: May 22, 2014, 03:54:57 pm »

Why not just say, calmly, "if you're going to shout the entire time, I'm going to hang up." Then follow through? At the very least, she'll get the message that if she shouts at you on the phone, she can't expect to keep doing it. Dunno if this would suit, though; depends on what your nan is like, and if such a thing would create more problems when off-phone.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75244 on: May 22, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »

I've been screamed by my mom for disagreeing with my nan before. Nothing I can do about it. I am to agree with everything my mom and nan say, regardless of what it is.

I really do wish my father got custody of me sometimes.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75245 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »

I've been screamed by my mom for disagreeing with my nan before. Nothing I can do about it. I am to agree with everything my mom and nan say, regardless of what it is.

Have you thought about suddenly screaming "STOP YELLING AT ME!" and then when they look at you shocked, calmly explaining that yelling and screaming won't actually help making other person agree with anything they say?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75246 on: May 22, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »

Have you thought about suddenly screaming "STOP YELLING AT ME!" and then when they look at you shocked, calmly explaining that yelling and screaming won't actually help making other person agree with anything they say?
That sounds too much like logic to work.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75247 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:52 pm »

I have my doubts about that working. They always deny yelling, and that they aren't berating me, they are just pointing out flaws that need to be fixed.

"It's not yelling, I'm just raising my voice" is something that gets said a lot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75248 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

Told ya it was too much like logic :/

My mother's the same; once she starts, she won't stop. I tend to listen for a bit, then prod her gently towards some other topic. Eventually she blows off enough steam.

Hey, mum, sorry to interrupt about my apparent lack of revision, but there's this thing I meant to say about school. There's an online exam that helps boost grades!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75249 on: May 22, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »

I have my doubts about that working. They always deny yelling, and that they aren't berating me, they are just pointing out flaws that need to be fixed.

"It's not yelling, I'm just raising my voice" is something that gets said a lot.
Then "raise your voice" to interupt them and tell them that they are being too loud. "Point out flaws" in how they tell you that you have something that "needs to be fixed", preferably with the same words they just used. Saying it later won't help any if they deny it, so rub their face in it right when they do it and tell them this is exactly what they do to you. It should ram the point through unless they are retarded beyond belief...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75250 on: May 22, 2014, 04:58:02 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:57 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75251 on: May 22, 2014, 05:01:08 pm »

What Vector said. Logic and intelligence have nothing to do with it - it's a perception mismatch problem. First and foremost, they're right, as far as they're concerned. Everything else follows from that - so if you respond in kind, the context must make it so that you're just being disrespectful, while they're being helpful. After all, they say, your goal is to upset them to shock them into understanding, while theirs is just to provide useful direction.

Abusive people are egotistical asshats.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75252 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:42 pm »

What Vector said. Logic and intelligence have nothing to do with it - it's a perception mismatch problem. First and foremost, they're right, as far as they're concerned. Everything else follows from that - so if you respond in kind, the context must make it so that you're just being disrespectful, while they're being helpful. After all, they say, your goal is to upset them to shock them into understanding, while theirs is just to provide useful direction.

Abusive people are egotistical asshats.
My first response would be to knock their ego down a few pegs and flip them off if they bitch about it...

I'm once again reminded why I shouldn't give advice to people.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75253 on: May 22, 2014, 05:11:21 pm »

It gets so much worse when they are in the same room together, assuming they aren't arguing with each other.

If they aren't complaining about how I'm "not a real man" (with terrible stereotypes of how "real men" should be), then they are ripping apart my father. Mostly insults aimed at his wife and kids, or his financial status.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75254 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:55 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 5015 5016 [5017] 5018 5019 ... 8167