Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5000 5001 [5002] 5003 5004 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440935 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75015 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:06 am »

I should mention there is no ignorance in a person who is able to recognize their own lack of knowledge, in fact that's basically the height of clarity. You've got to learn somehow, and recognizing you don't know how to do things or know certain stuff is usually the first step to trying to do them right.

Heh, I remember how a year ago I used to believe I'm a semi-decent guitar player. Dunning-Kruger effect is hilarious in retrospect.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75016 on: May 18, 2014, 12:08:51 pm »

I should mention there is no ignorance in a person who is able to recognize their own lack of knowledge, in fact that's basically the height of clarity. You've got to learn somehow, and recognizing you don't know how to do things or know certain stuff is usually the first step to trying to do them right.

Heh, I remember how a year ago I used to believe I'm a semi-decent guitar player. Dunning-Kruger effect is hilarious in retrospect.

It is kinda hilarious. Been (and still is) affected with the opposite kind of effect the Dunning-Kruger governs, in which I believe that I'm not any good, because I'm incompetent and that there are people better than me, knowing just as much as I do and yet improving really faster. Doesn't do wonders for self confidence.

Been to the graveyard for a death anniversary of a friend's grandmother. Now philosophizing about the meaning of life (again) and generally being depressed about it. What's the point of living when you can't take anything with you when you die?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75017 on: May 18, 2014, 12:13:20 pm »

Doing awesome things while you are alive.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75018 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:27 pm »

this

no other reason to be alive than to enjoy your time being alive

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75019 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »

Alternatively.

There is no point, only an edge.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #75020 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:23 pm »

The point of living? That's whatever you make of it. That's like saying "Why should I go to the swimming pool? I can't take anything from it when I leave." You go because it's a good experience, enjoyable and fun. "Why should I live? I can't take anything from it when I die." No. But you have the experience. And, whilst you take nothing, you leave plenty. Personally, I believe that what I want is to leave a world slightly better for me being there, so that others may enjoy and experience life. But, regardless, even if all you do is have a child, that's still thousands, possibly billions, of future humans that will be born, and live, because of you.

Ninjas. What they said :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75021 on: May 18, 2014, 12:16:58 pm »

this

no other reason to be alive than to enjoy your time being alive

True. Enjoying your time is a waste if you'll eventually lose it. But not doing anything at all is a much greater waste of time. Can't believe I've become this pessimistic, really.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #75022 on: May 18, 2014, 12:17:32 pm »

"Why should I go to the swimming pool?  And, whilst you take nothing, you leave plenty."

[adds more chlorine to the pool, in case Th4DwArfY1 comes for a swim]
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75023 on: May 18, 2014, 12:21:24 pm »

You're saying that there's bad stuff in life?

True. But, if you don't live, then there is no good stuff either. I'd rather have a swim in a pool with chlorine, knowing the chlorine will either wear off or decrease, than never swim in my life, never breathe, never exist.

A life of suffering is still a life, and why should something be scorned for its quality? Better a masterwork sock, but in hard times, a tattered one will do  :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #75024 on: May 18, 2014, 12:22:56 pm »

It was actually meant to be a tasteless joke, referring to the sorts of fluids that tend to be left in public swimming pools.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75025 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »

Meh, when I can read something deeper into something, I will.  8)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75026 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:39 pm »

It was actually meant to be a tasteless joke, referring to the sorts of fluids that tend to be left in public swimming pools.

Don't even get there. xD

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #75027 on: May 18, 2014, 12:28:49 pm »

Don't even get there. xD
*dumps more chlorine in pool*
*receives pay as pool cleaner*
\o/

Sad: Argh. 2 months of transitioning school time.
Why must you now start on August :X

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #75028 on: May 18, 2014, 01:04:16 pm »

I've thought of putting "Go into my computer and go to [xxx] websites to inform of my death" in my will. It'd be possible only because I have very few websites I frequent that would care.
You too, huh?
Me three. I don't know if this is sad or not, but this site has had a big impact on my life, despite my only having been here for 3 years. I've written a lot more stories here than I ever did on my own, I've conversed with people of greatly divergent opinions and backgrounds. I think I could make it through anything as long as I had Bay12.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75029 on: May 18, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »

There aren't nearly enough serious games on Android. Android devices from 4 years ago are still more powerful than a 486 by far. There's DosBox Turbo but it tops out at Windows 95. Most games of that era don't run because it's not really running 95, just a stripped down version. But that's only a patchwork approach running older games. There's plenty of power for any graphical roguelike around right now, but few exist. You can hook up controllers, mice, keyboards, etc to most Android hardware so inputs are not a problem. They come in 10 inch screen varieties. You can get Linux distro's running but even those games have to be ARM programmed. Unity can push things over, but few people compile for Android. There aren't that many hurdles and people just don't take things that far. Android is a large and growing market but unfortunately the "demand" is for masses of brainless BS fruit ninja and candy crush and pay to win. I don't want to live on this planet anymore. :C
Pages: 1 ... 5000 5001 [5002] 5003 5004 ... 8167