Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4972 4973 [4974] 4975 4976 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453468 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #74595 on: May 09, 2014, 07:27:13 am »

I think I ceased to care about character deaths by the end of Clash of Kings. I do remember feeling kind of depressed about the pile of injustices on Tyrion though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74596 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:20 am »

I think I ceased to care about character deaths by the end of Clash of Kings. I do remember feeling kind of depressed about the pile of injustices on Tyrion though.
Darkness induced audience apathy is another thing that ASoIaF is infamous for. Just like real life: you see enough people die, you become desensitized and stop caring.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #74597 on: May 09, 2014, 08:07:09 am »

I'd argue against that and say that it isn't fully sub/unconscious effect.  :-\

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74598 on: May 09, 2014, 08:14:21 am »

I had to take off work today to go to the hospital.
It feels like my midsection is being torn apart, and since it's on the exact same height as my back pain, it feels like my whole body is being torn in half.
I really hope this ends soon.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74599 on: May 09, 2014, 08:20:30 am »

Having never studied psychology, I don't know the underlaying mechanisms of this, but for me it starts as a wave of apathy that eventually grown into boredom and disinvestment from the story. If it were real life, I suppose it would be crushing despair instead.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74600 on: May 09, 2014, 08:29:40 am »

I had to take off work today to go to the hospital.
It feels like my midsection is being torn apart, and since it's on the exact same height as my back pain, it feels like my whole body is being torn in half.
I really hope this ends soon.

We all do, Mastah. Get better soon, and don't let any of those bastards make you work when you get back.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74601 on: May 09, 2014, 08:32:56 am »

I think people take Lord of the Flies aesop as a bit too... universal? For one, individuals aren't likely to act like the characters in the book. It's groups of people that do. And not all groups of people end up like that, either; mostly cold war era nation states.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74602 on: May 09, 2014, 08:45:07 am »

They just put my IV in, and I fainted.
Not surprised, it's just that fainting is not pleasent.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #74603 on: May 09, 2014, 08:51:02 am »

Having never studied psychology, I don't know the underlaying mechanisms of this, but for me it starts as a wave of apathy that eventually grown into boredom and disinvestment from the story. If it were real life, I suppose it would be crushing despair instead.
Well what I reca-

I think people take Lord of the Flies aesop as a bit too... universal? For one, individuals aren't likely to act like the characters in the book. It's groups of people that do. And not all groups of people end up like that, either; mostly cold war era nation states.
^
Anyway, what I recall is that 'someone died and apathy was felt by the killer; people got rescued when they didn't think they would be, and said person who died is forgotten and their killers just went scot free'
I orient you towards what the killers' personality was as a counter balance to said apathy you may feel.
Not everyone is like that. And what attitudes you see equal a value that a person upholds. It is not universally shared, but learned.
So :-\
But I understand the growing... 'apathy' part after reading it. However, don't believe that it holds for quite much everyone.

.-.
All wishes to you be blessed, cheese. Hope you're going to be ok (and trust those who serve you! Treat your doctors/nurses with a smile :D)...and/or don't expect the worst.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74604 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:03 am »

Hope you get well soon, Mastah :(

Anyway, what I recall is that 'someone died and apathy was felt by the killer; people got rescued when they didn't think they would be, and said person who died is forgotten and their killers just went scot free'
I orient you towards what the killers' personality was as a counter balance to said apathy you may feel.
Not everyone is like that. And what attitudes you see equal a value that a person upholds. It is not universally shared, but learned.
Okay I get it now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:00:43 pm by Knit tie »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74605 on: May 09, 2014, 10:44:58 am »

That is a description that is not only simplistic but wrong. Though you can look up a plot synopsis just about anywhere that's better than one I can give.

Also: Last day of high school. This just feels so wrong. This stuff is supposed to be ages away but it isn't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74606 on: May 09, 2014, 11:24:36 am »

Hey, you guys want to know something that nobody ever told me?

Morphine suuuuuucks so much.
It hurt so unbelievably bad when they gave it to me, and it's so hard to breathe right now.

They just had me go through a CT scan to make sure I don't have something absurd like appedicitis.
I'm so tired uuuuuggghhhh
The Derail Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #74607 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:45 am »

That is a description that is not only simplistic but wrong. Though you can look up a plot synopsis just about anywhere that's better than one I can give.

Also: Last day of high school. This just feels so wrong. This stuff is supposed to be ages away but it isn't.
Where are you going? Employment, or further education?

Edit: Mastah, you ninjad me. I'm fairly certain morphine isn't meant to affect breathing?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74608 on: May 09, 2014, 11:26:06 am »

That sucks, mastahcheese, but hang in there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74609 on: May 09, 2014, 11:39:43 am »

Hey, you guys want to know something that nobody ever told me?

Morphine suuuuuucks so much.
Oh, I would have told you that if you'd asked. Not having the morphine, that's fine unless you try to force yourself to stay awake or otherwise 'fight' it (which going by how you've talked about your health in the past is what I'm assuming you did). The following week or so is awful though. Withdrawal symptoms are not fun.

Where are you going? Employment, or further education?
I'm talking A-levels and then probably going to university as well. I don't know exactly where I'm going but it's not somewhere I can get to without formal education.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:57:11 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4972 4973 [4974] 4975 4976 ... 8167