Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4927 4928 [4929] 4930 4931 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453424 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73920 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »

When I come across a piece of media that really clicks for me, whether it's a game or tv show or book series, I tend to get really invested in it. Then, when it's over, I inevitably have a sort of emotional crash. I'll spend anywhere from an evening to a few days going over it, replaying the most intense moments in my head, contextualizing the things that happened over the whole thing, but mostly just feeling unbelievably miserable that it's over and there won't be any more. It's cost me sleep once or twice.

Coming out of that, I'll usually have a second phase where I'm "getting over it" and it seems less important, at which point I start feeling sad and guilty that...the intensity of the experience is fading? That I can't remember the highs and lows as clearly? Because a part of me still thinks it ought to be really important. It's a while before I let go and move on with my life.
I'm in the middle of this phase today.

Sometimes I really wish I could just enjoy good media like a normal person, without the whole thing playing out like a melodramatic high school relationship. Sure, when I enjoy things I enjoy them really intensely, but my friends (quite reasonably) don't really have much patience left for my periodic nosedives into depression because of really goddamn trivial things. If your entertainment is making you this upset, you are probably doing it wrong.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73921 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:25 pm »

Why not just reread/rewatch them? I'm on a constant cycle. My room is essentially a library, and when I have no new books I reread years old ones. It's like meeting an old friend, only all the time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73922 on: April 26, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »

When I come across a piece of media that really clicks for me, whether it's a game or tv show or book series, I tend to get really invested in it. Then, when it's over, I inevitably have a sort of emotional crash. I'll spend anywhere from an evening to a few days going over it, replaying the most intense moments in my head, contextualizing the things that happened over the whole thing, but mostly just feeling unbelievably miserable that it's over and there won't be any more. It's cost me sleep once or twice.

Coming out of that, I'll usually have a second phase where I'm "getting over it" and it seems less important, at which point I start feeling sad and guilty that...the intensity of the experience is fading? That I can't remember the highs and lows as clearly? Because a part of me still thinks it ought to be really important. It's a while before I let go and move on with my life.

Sometimes I really wish I could just enjoy good media like a normal person, without the whole thing playing out like a melodramatic high school relationship. Sure, when I enjoy things I enjoy them really intensely, but my friends (quite reasonably) don't really have much patience left for my periodic nosedives into depression because of really goddamn trivial things. If your entertainment is making you this upset, you are probably doing it wrong.

I can very much relate... in fact I'm pretty sure I've described the same thing on here in the past, just not as eloquently.
I was gonna say some more stuff here but I can't really think right now. At least you're clearly good at finding enjoyable fiction!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #73923 on: April 26, 2014, 10:19:01 pm »

Yeah, I do the same thing. As Th4DwArfY1 suggested, rereading and rewatching tends to help, I've found. That, or trying to find something new to get yourself invested in, but that can be quite difficult. On the off chance you haven't read them yet, H.P. Lovecraft's work is very good, assuming you're into psychological, cosmic, and, well, Lovecraftian horror.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73924 on: April 26, 2014, 10:34:42 pm »

The pain in my back has reached a higher level of misery than ever before, today.
Just standing, or sitting upright, and it feels like just the weight of my upper body is crushing my spine under it.
I'm not even able to walk normally, I have to hold my hands out and brace myself on whatever I can just to hobble around.
I really hope the doctors stop dicking around and actually do some kind of examination of my back, because this is getting to become unbearable, and this is the third day in a row now that I've fallen down from pain or disorientation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73925 on: April 26, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »

Dude, that sounds terrible. :(
You should really take it easy, lest you cause further damage to whatever's going wrong in there.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73926 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:09 pm »

I think it's because of that jelly thingamajig in their spine breaking and spilling into your nerves, which results in excruciating pain. You should rest until it heals somewhat because there isn't much the doctors could do about it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73927 on: April 26, 2014, 10:50:09 pm »

Well, rest is a no-go because my work vacation ends today, so I'm back to work tomorrow.
I'll just have to remember to take pain medicine.

I think it's because of that jelly thingamajig in their spine breaking and spilling into your nerves, which results in excruciating pain.
...I hope to god it is not this. Because this sounds really really bad.
The Derail Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73928 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:52 pm »

Go to work in wheelchair to make your employer feel bad.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73929 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:52 pm »

I work at a fast food place.
I don't think they'd care.
The Derail Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73930 on: April 26, 2014, 11:16:59 pm »

Oh, in that case go to work in a tank and trash the place.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #73931 on: April 26, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »

Well, rest is a no-go because my work vacation ends today, so I'm back to work tomorrow.
I'll just have to remember to take pain medicine.

I think it's because of that jelly thingamajig in their spine breaking and spilling into your nerves, which results in excruciating pain.
...I hope to god it is not this. Because this sounds really really bad.
._.
It sounds bad, but I really, really doubt its what you're experiencing. Also, it's not a jelly thingamajig but an intervertebral disc :P

Wishing you well on the matter, Cheese. Ask questions to your doctors about it? :/ Probably visit a physical therapist? Did they refer you to one?

Also tell your boss about it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:43:26 pm by Tiruin »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73932 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:59 pm »

Yeah, that was what I was talking about. I'm not really good at body parts names.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73933 on: April 26, 2014, 11:39:54 pm »

@ mastah: Have they put you on the whole lower-back strengthening exercise stuff yet? If not, you might want to look into it and start up yourself. It's absolute agony starting out, but after a bit things get better, and if you can keep it up (I kinda' didn't, which is why I've felt like spikes were driving into my spine for the last week or so), stay that way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73934 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:37 pm »

Oh, in that case go to work in a tank and trash the place.
They fired the last guy who did that.

._.
It sounds bad, but I really, really doubt its what you're experiencing. Also, it's not a jelly thingamajig but an intervertebral disc :P

Wishing you well on the matter, Cheese. Ask questions to your doctors about it? :/ Probably visit a physical therapist? Did they refer you to one?

Also tell your boss about it?
Thanks, and I've talked to the doctor about it, and that's when they had me go get a bunch of X-rays, and told me that a couple discs in my back were slightly narrow. They said they were going to schedule other tests, but never did, and that was about 2 months ago.
I don't even know if there are physical therapists around here. Or if there are, I've never heard about them.
And I've told my boss about it, and they basically told me to take some pain killers.

@ mastah: Have they put you on the whole lower-back strengthening exercise stuff yet? If not, you might want to look into it and start up yourself. It's absolute agony starting out, but after a bit things get better, and if you can keep it up (I kinda' didn't, which is why I've felt like spikes were driving into my spine for the last week or so), stay that way.
No, they haven't put me on anything like exercise, or anything like that.
They pretty much told me the opposite, to try to avoid standing for long times, or put stress on it.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4927 4928 [4929] 4930 4931 ... 8167