Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4888 4889 [4890] 4891 4892 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429732 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73335 on: April 18, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

I'll reserve judgment on that until I've seen proof untainted by warfare between the two.  Right now I think all we can say for certain is that capitalism is better at waging war.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #73336 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

I'll reserve judgment on that until I've seen proof untainted by warfare between the two.  Right now I think all we can say for certain is that capitalism is better at waging war.
I would totally disagree with that. State-run societies have proven effectiveness at military actions. They just lack the sheer resources (capital!) that capitalist ones can bring to bear.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73337 on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:55 pm »

Well, Capitalism and Communism are just a matter of methods. Their goals are basically the same.

In a Utopia world, Communism and Capitalism both result in social harmony where everyone does what they are the best at and everyone is rich equally and as they all equally deserved.
But you have to give it to capitalism, it sure as fucking hell works better in worlds that aren't Utopias.
The lower class would disagree.

But I suppose that is the appeal of communism.

When you can't be as rich as the others, make everyone as poor as you.
Yep. Capitalism is: rich guy has a house, poor guy doesn't. Communism is: nobody fucking has a house.

My back hurts again. But I guess that's what I get for spending most of the day over a book/laptop, sadly there'll be more of that in the next two weeks, and without that many seating options (there's the hardwood/concrete floor, the almost broken couch, the small and uncomfortable chair and the big and uncomfortable chairs) I can see it only getting worse :C

Try doing a hobby-sport for a bit? Maybe a run in the morning, or some pushups/sit ups? It might save you a lot of pain, and needn't take that long.
I interject pushups and other excersizes into my daily routine for exactly that purpose. It works wonders.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73338 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:51 pm »

Also please stop hating on the rich. Not all of us are narcissistic assholes.
Pssh please, being rich is like being cool. If you're talking to someone who thinks they aren't rich, you're not rich.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73339 on: April 18, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

The cold war period should count - it was essentially a race of economics. Well, and of fucking over third-world countries.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #73340 on: April 18, 2014, 05:58:18 pm »

I would totally disagree with that. State-run societies have proven effectiveness at military actions. They just lack the sheer resources (capital!) that capitalist ones can bring to bear.

Effective at military actions, sure.  But you just described how there's more to waging war than military actions.  Not to mention capitalism was in sort of a higher position to begin with.  Communism was a newer idea that had to establish itself.  Capitalism was already established, and only needed to contain communist influence and pre-emptively shut down any "threat of a good example".

Not saying that the Soviet Union didn't fight well.  I'm just saying that the world has never seen a large-scale implementation of communism without a capitalist nation waging war on it and winning.  So I don't see how it's possible to make an evidence-based comparison, except in the context of warfare.

Most people seem to think that history is proof that communism = poverty, but it looks to me like that's only because the examples being taken as evidence were nations that were fighting a losing war while isolated from international trade.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:10:41 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73341 on: April 18, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »

Also please stop hating on the rich. Not all of us are narcissistic assholes.
Pssh please, being rich is like being cool. If you're talking to someone who thinks they aren't rich, you're not rich.
You want me to show you my huge walk-in closet filled with expensive as hell designer clothing that mostly just lies there because I'm a narcissistic shopping addict? If that's not rich, I don't know what is.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73342 on: April 18, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »

See, we're only impressed by huge garages filled with cars bought on narcissistic shopping sprees.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73343 on: April 18, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »

See, we're only impressed by huge garages filled with cars bought on narcissistic shopping sprees.
Overcompensation ahoy
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73344 on: April 18, 2014, 06:10:31 pm »

I only have one, sorry.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #73345 on: April 18, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »

I only have one, sorry.

Only one garage?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73346 on: April 18, 2014, 06:13:48 pm »

I only have one, sorry.

Only one garage?
Only one car.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73347 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »

Well, I don't judge richness in monetary terms anyway. I judge it in quality of life, and personally, I hate shopping with a passion. A shopping spree would kill me from pure boredom.

Also, I'm miserly with my money. I've saved nearly every penny I earned.

Edit: Though, I do live in a big farm house and have more than one car. Three in total, and a shed load of broken, ancient ones. And four tractors, three diggers and a dumper truck. No garage at all, though, funnily enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:17:06 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #73348 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »

I only have one, sorry.

Only one garage?
Only one car.

I know. I've misinterpreted that on purpose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #73349 on: April 18, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »

Honestly, I don't think it's the rich that are hated, so much as the obscenely rich.

I don't have much of a problem with anyone who's worth a few million.  When you get into the tens of millions and especially the billions, the fact that you can live a life of excessive luxury and never come close to burning through all your wealth starts to be a factor in my ability to offer respect.  When that wealth is used to corrupt politics, which seems to be a popular hobby among billionaires, the genuine (and in my opinion justified) hate really kicks in.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 4888 4889 [4890] 4891 4892 ... 8167