Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4867 4868 [4869] 4870 4871 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429657 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73020 on: April 14, 2014, 10:57:31 am »

If it makes you feel any better, that's the likeliest outcome (attractive people are attractive, after all), so you're far from alone, and they're still possibly available for an awesome friendship. If a romance was likely to work out, they're probably compatible friend material, provided you don't go into it hoping for it to progress to romance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73021 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:00 am »

(attractive people are attractive, after all)
Weird fetishes would be so practical...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #73022 on: April 14, 2014, 12:18:29 pm »

Aww, the hosting for my avatar expired and I didn't back it up, so I'm back to the previous one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73023 on: April 14, 2014, 12:21:23 pm »

Honestly, the biggest problem with this that every time I get hopeful and kinda happy, and then truth rears its ugly head and I have to take hope out the back and bash its head in, it's almost a routine now, and it's not enjoyable in the least.

Oh well, got a pack of cigarettes, some M&M's and I think I'll find a game or TV show, then the purging can begin.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73024 on: April 14, 2014, 02:46:48 pm »

I realize that I don't have the really big sads that a lot of people in this thread tend to have, but please bear with me. Mostly, my experiences are just a bland mush of "meh" as far as the eye can see.

Anyways, on to my sad.

The second Hobbit movie sucked. I don't hate it with a passion, but the bloat and changes felt really stupid this time around. In the first movie, it all at least went somewhere, but this time, it's painfully obvious that they didn't have enough material to stretch it into 3 movies. The parts with the necromancer are fine because it was actually going on in the background of the book. The rest of it is either trying too hard to tie in with the LotR trilogy, or adding too much flambouyant cinematography and Hollywood re-writes of the plot. It's a shame, really. I had high hopes for the additional world building, and I feel they have squandered it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #73025 on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:05 pm »

Honestly, the only reason to see that movie is for Smaug.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73026 on: April 14, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »

If it makes you feel any better, that's the likeliest outcome (attractive people are attractive, after all), so you're far from alone, and they're still possibly available for an awesome friendship. If a romance was likely to work out, they're probably compatible friend material, provided you don't go into it hoping for it to progress to romance.
Just make sure that if she breaks up with the other person and doesn't get with you, that you complain about how "I'm such a nice guy to her, why doesn't she want to date a nice guy like me?" and "She totally friendzoned me! Girls only want to date assholes!" Chicks dig it when you say that kind of stuff.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73027 on: April 14, 2014, 03:16:14 pm »

I'm about to have a 12 hour car drive to Poland in order to visit family, which as you can imagine is not all that fun.
It will also take a major cut from my easter break and I'd have lots to do.
Being cut off from most sorts technology for a week is a pain as well.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #73028 on: April 14, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »

The second Hobbit movie sucked. I don't hate it with a passion, but the bloat and changes felt really stupid this time around. In the first movie, it all at least went somewhere, but this time, it's painfully obvious that they didn't have enough material to stretch it into 3 movies. The parts with the necromancer are fine because it was actually going on in the background of the book. The rest of it is either trying too hard to tie in with the LotR trilogy, or adding too much flambouyant cinematography and Hollywood re-writes of the plot. It's a shame, really. I had high hopes for the additional world building, and I feel they have squandered it.

The only thing I really disliked as far as hollywood rewriting goes was the dwarfXelf romance subplot. That's just no.

Also didn't like how they cut out the scene where Gandalf tricks Bjorn into letting all the dwarfs in. That was a great scene in the book, I loved that part.

Otherwise I liked it. It wasn't totally faithful to the book, but it does a good job of portraying a fantasy world. Feels much more "fantasy" than the LotR movie trilogy. Probably the more advanced CGI doing that.

-----------------------------------------

Spoiler: Unrelated sads (click to show/hide)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #73029 on: April 14, 2014, 05:42:48 pm »

[Stuff]

There's a diffrence between being a feminist, and making them look bad. You're starting to look like all you do is the latter. Seriously, calm down or something.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73030 on: April 14, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

Also school prom is coming up, it's senior year, everyone's emphasizing about how wonderful and important senior prom is, blah blah blah. Prom is stupid and overpriced, but hell if I don't feel kinda bad for being a total asocial loser with almost no friends and no date.
I probably should care more about mine, but then again nobody really thinks it's a big deal. Also it's on the same day as my Further Maths GCSE exam so yaay.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #73031 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:24 pm »

I had no date at prom, but still had a blast. A catered party is a catered party, after all. Best part was, everyone was being a bit iffy about dancing, waiting for someone else to dance first; so, seeing the void, I just jumped in and started dancing. And after a few moments, everyone else did, too.

So, I'd say prom isn't about dates, but rather a big party for your whole senior class with lots of effort and money put into it. If you're not much of a party person, or if you've got something better to do, it might not be for you, but chances are it might be the one big event you can justify spending money on.

If you do decide to go (date, friends, or not) just beware the after (and before) parties. They'll probably screen people for drunkeness and smuggled alcohol at the door, and even afterward you probably don't want to go out and get underage tanked.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73032 on: April 14, 2014, 06:01:40 pm »

On the other side of the coin, I was one of very few people in my graduating class who didn't attend prom or the senior graduating party, because of money issues.  It wasn't like I'd ever been on a date, either.  Don't look down on yourself or be ashamed if you don't go.  Parties are great, but in the end, it's just a party.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73033 on: April 14, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »

I didn't go to prom either and look at me!

* kaijyuu strikes a pose while his wife clings to him looking up admiringly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #73034 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:42 pm »

I didn't go to prom either and look at me!

* kaijyuu strikes a pose while his wife clings to him looking up admiringly.
* Doctus clings to kaijyuu, looking up admiringly

... and I didn't go either!
Pages: 1 ... 4867 4868 [4869] 4870 4871 ... 8167