Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4846 4847 [4848] 4849 4850 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453277 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72705 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:04 pm »

For some reason, people like to generalize most other people they see as negative.
Not really. It's not even confirmation bias, there are more excessively negative actions than excessively benevolent actions taken by people. People might be generally kind but it's generally not extravagant.
It should be noted that your perceptions are likely skewed towards noticing the negative more. Excessive should be taken out of consideration; they don't represent the general human nature in either case. Several murderers does not the entire human race assholes make.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72706 on: April 07, 2014, 11:25:42 pm »

There are more cannibal serial killers out there (and we're certainly more likely to hear about them) than there are people who demonstrably save hundreds of lives.
More likely to hear about them, sure, but more of them? I'd wager good odds the average EMT is going to save at least a couple dozen lives over the course of their career, and there's a lot more EMTs than cannibal serial killers. And y'damn sure better believe the work those folks take on qualify as extravagant. Maybe not saving hundreds of lives in the process, but a dozen here and there add up faster than the average serial killing streak. And y've got more doctors, more nurses, more folks giving food and shelter to th'needy and whatnot. Less visible, definitely, but actually less? Don't particularly buy that. My guess would be they just make worse news, especially when they make a life or livelihood out of it. One critter going on a killing spree once is more attention grabbing than someone who saves the lives of several people a month for years.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72707 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:54 pm »

People are fine, it's just that the assholes fart louder.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72708 on: April 07, 2014, 11:38:31 pm »

Depending on how we define "saving lives," the average person could be said to save many a day (remember one person can be "saved" multiple times) because our society's rules, for all its flaws, are set up to encourage certain positive behaviors. Safety measures is a good example.

I suppose most people would say "saving" requires active prevention of catastrophe, in which case most public works projects are pretty good. Homeless shelters, public healthcare, etc. Those that are paid into by everyone, so everyone has a share of the "saving."

I still doubt most cynics would be satisfied with that, so if you want empathy and generosity, take a look at how many people open doors for others, give seats, are polite, etc etc etc. Small things I bet you don't notice. Most people are kind if they've no reason not to be.

In reality what I think people want are huge acts of bravery and self sacrifice. Judging people on lack of those is really missing the point since most people don't have the opportunity to do them or are in situations where they don't realize it's on their shoulders to do something (see: crowds staring instead of helping). Meanwhile everyone has the opportunity to do something horrific every minute of the day, and the vast majority don't. And no, it's not because of deterrent either (it's easier to get away with things than you might think).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72709 on: April 07, 2014, 11:56:17 pm »

Ugh. People staring instead of doing something. It makes me furious- but at the same time I've never really been in that situation, so who knows if I'd join.

Still, every time I drive past someone broken down on the road I have to force myself to realize that they've got it under control. Mobile phones kind of destroyed that niche of Good Samaritan opportunities.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72710 on: April 08, 2014, 02:04:37 am »

The guy who draws Lovecraft is Missing has inoperable cancer.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72711 on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:16 am »

"What is my purpose?"
"You pass butter"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72712 on: April 08, 2014, 02:28:31 am »

"What is my purpose?"
"You pass butter"
There is no purpose but what we define for ourselves.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72713 on: April 08, 2014, 03:15:33 am »

I had no choice but to walk over a freshly-mopped floor, leaving shoeprints in my wake. Right in front of the person who was mopping them.

I feel like such a horrible person  :'(
As someone who mops floors once a (work)day as part of the job description -- though I am only qualified to talk about my own personal experience -- I don't particularly mind when people do this. Shoeprints on an already wet floor is an extremely simple removal.

What I do mind is when the staffers decide to clean the hot chocolate machine just as I'm trying to mop, and then leave a trail of stains that mix in with the mop's contained fluids and that carries across the floor until I rinse out the mop again. Though that's not common lately, so that's not a big sad for me!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72714 on: April 08, 2014, 03:53:06 am »

I had no choice but to walk over a freshly-mopped floor, leaving shoeprints in my wake. Right in front of the person who was mopping them.

I feel like such a horrible person  :'(
Apologize profusely.
You are the Canadian. It is you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #72715 on: April 08, 2014, 06:33:38 am »

Quote from: Arikaans assignment
Ons as Christene kan volgens die Woord van God ook nie aanvaar dat homoseksuele verhoudings reg is nie. Vertel in ‘n kort paragraaf van nie meer as 100 woorde nie waarom jy dink dat homoseksuele verhoudings nie deur Christene as reg aanvaar kan word nie.

Welp, ideology clash ahoy. Also, there are 15 words in the Old Testament about homosexuality. Only 15, which boil down to "don't do it", in the same book as "Don't mix cloths" and that kind of thing. The one other place it's mentioned? 1 Corinthians (written by Paul, who wasn't exactly tolerant of people who disagreed with his beliefs) 6:9, lumping "homosexual offenders" in with the greedy, drunkards, idolaters, and swindlers as people who "will not inherit the kingdom of heaven."

Yeah the Bible rants on about this at length, doesn't it?

Edit: Added a translation.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72716 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:47 am »

My best friend is ill and hasn't been online on facebook for several days afaik.
I'm slightly worried because that is rather unusual for him >.>
I feel like if he were ill the only thing he would do is watch anime, which would hopefully mean him coming online on facebook sometimes.
I also want to talk to him, so yeah...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72717 on: April 08, 2014, 07:13:15 am »

Can't you text him? Phone him? Visit him?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72718 on: April 08, 2014, 08:07:40 am »

I feel beyond awful today. It's my next to last day of my old job, I'm exhausted, my stomach is highly upset, and I'm fighting off a sinus infection. I really wish I could afford to call in.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72719 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:15 am »

I feel beyond awful today. It's my next to last day of my old job, I'm exhausted, my stomach is highly upset, and I'm fighting off a sinus infection. I really wish I could afford to call in.

Fight the good fight, so that tomorrow you can roll in and be like

Double points if you actually use an ejection couch to leave work.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 4846 4847 [4848] 4849 4850 ... 8167