Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4845 4846 [4847] 4848 4849 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450457 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72690 on: April 07, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »

There are ways in which a tribe of 20 works differently from a tribe of 2 or 200,000 but I think this holds pretty well.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72691 on: April 07, 2014, 06:03:41 pm »

Let me make this clearer:
I like how you are able to make it so...'simple' on the matters of hostility of 'tribes'. >_>
It's as if its only on matters of want want want get get get.
Survival of the fittest fallacy and such.
Let's leave out the human aspect to it, shall we?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72692 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:45 pm »

I like how you are able to make it so...'simple' on the matters of hostility of 'tribes'. >_>
I don't understand your complaint.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72693 on: April 07, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »

-snip-
I don't understand your complaint.
"I can rob all I want if there are no police. I can steal all the food I want if everyone else is diplomatic. I can not care all I want even if others do.

"But it isn't like I've a choice not to do it."

I mean really. If there are people who believe safety measures or such security needs should exist only so people won't do x or y [bad thing], then dear goodness what is that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:10:52 pm by Tiruin »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72694 on: April 07, 2014, 06:16:38 pm »

I mean really. If there are people who believe safety measures or such security needs should exist only so people won't do x or y [bad thing], then dear goodness what is that.
Err....Hobbesian philosophy?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72695 on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:35 pm »

Nah, I got what Hobbes is talking about, but the matters deal with resources and such. If there's not enough, there's not much to do other than either multiply it or lessen the demand somehow.

But the matters being talked about is wholly different. The bare concept of hostility and how to deal with it. Why things exist to prevent it. Why we have a choice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72696 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:34 pm »

I had no choice but to walk over a freshly-mopped floor, leaving shoeprints in my wake. Right in front of the person who was mopping them.

I feel like such a horrible person  :'(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72697 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »

I had no choice but to walk over a freshly-mopped floor, leaving shoeprints in my wake. Right in front of the person who was mopping them.

I've done this too, but if you have no choice, then you can't help it.

And yeah, people taking advantage over things, simply because they can is really annoying, and makes everyone else look bad, too.
Why can't people just be kind?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72698 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:48 pm »

I've done this too, but if you have no choice, then you can't help it.
I said sorry last time it happened. :x
The person on the job just gave a tiny smile and nodded.
But argh. DIRT.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72699 on: April 07, 2014, 06:43:51 pm »

If there are people who believe safety measures or such security needs should exist only so people won't do x or y [bad thing], then dear goodness what is that.
Well what else are they for? The police has lists of things they're supposed to stop people doing then they go and stop people doing those things. Also they close off roads and direct traffic sometimes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72700 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »

If there are people who believe safety measures or such security needs should exist only so people won't do x or y [bad thing], then dear goodness what is that.
Well what else are they for? The police has lists of things they're supposed to stop people doing then they go and stop people doing those things. Also they close off roads and direct traffic sometimes.
That's not the point.

The point is that if people would be kind enough to not break rules, then we wouldn't need someone around for the sole sake of enforcing it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72701 on: April 07, 2014, 06:55:34 pm »

Goddammit its been two fucking months, two goddamn months and NOW I start crying like a petulant child. I'm a fucking wreck right now, I can't eat, I can't sleep, and I can't get any goddamn work done without collapsing into a depressed pile of tears and disappointment. The day after, I thought I would be fine. "I can do this" I foolishly thought, "I'll pull through!". These were the lies I told myself for a week. Then everything was quiet for a while. Then I realized the significance of that event and it all came crashing down. That's when the water works came, I don't think I've cried harder in years. I was this close to having a nervous fucking breakdown, and was very fucking close to lunging at someone I hate for no real good reason at all. I nearly broke my foot kicking a brick wall after I made sure I was alone. I am incredibly disappointed in myself. Holy shit and -breakdown-
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72702 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:10 pm »

That's not the point.

The point is that if people would be kind enough to not break rules, then we wouldn't need someone around for the sole sake of enforcing it.
I'd just like to mention that a spoonful of mud is enough to ruin a barrel of honey, while the reverse is not true. Or that, if we have 99 law-abiding, very nice people who would not murder a rich guy for his wallet and one violent bandit who would, said rich guy would get murdered as opposed to staying alive if there were no bandits, while if we had 99 bandits and one non-bandit, the rich guy would not get murdered any less than he would if there were 100 bandits, id est, just one man who does not wish to abide by the laws can inflict enough damage to society to merit enforcing those laws.

In other words, all we need to justify the existence of police is only one criminal per time unit per settlement, and therefore the existence of law enforcement in no way indicates that humans are inherently opposed to lawfulness.

Sorry for the rambling post, it's late here.

Goddammit its been two fucking months, two goddamn months and NOW I start crying like a petulant child. I'm a fucking wreck right now, I can't eat, I can't sleep, and I can't get any goddamn work done without collapsing into a depressed pile of tears and disappointment. The day after, I thought I would be fine. "I can do this" I foolishly thought, "I'll pull through!". These were the lies I told myself for a week. Then everything was quiet for a while. Then I realized the significance of that event and it all came crashing down. That's when the water works came, I don't think I've cried harder in years. I was this close to having a nervous fucking breakdown, and was very fucking close to lunging at someone I hate for no real good reason at all. I nearly broke my foot kicking a brick wall after I made sure I was alone. I am incredibly disappointed in myself. Holy shit and -breakdown-
I hope nobody died, that event you are referring to must've been horrible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:01:43 pm by Knit tie »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72703 on: April 07, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »

I may have failed my driving test but at least this time I failed based on my (in)ability to drive and not my bookkeeping.

Third time's a charm.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72704 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »

The roof is leaking. I fear that at least that section is going to collapse soon. I also fear that the landlord would sooner just tear the house down then pay for repairs, because she is cheap and made other stupid decisions(to be fair, though, the whole house needs to be rebuilt from scratch, anyways). Moving out would probably mean living in a much too small place and it still costing way more than what it takes to rent this house. Real estate is ridiculous around here, and I don't know why. Maybe if we could get something out away from the city, it would be cheaper, but then it's hard to find those places and still have a sewage system, cable, etc.. Physically moving our stuff would be a trial all it's own.

I may have failed my driving test but at least this time I failed based on my (in)ability to drive and not my bookkeeping.

Third time's a charm.
I remember taking the driver's test once, and a couple of the questions directly contradicted the study material they gave me.
Pages: 1 ... 4845 4846 [4847] 4848 4849 ... 8167