Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4819 4820 [4821] 4822 4823 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449070 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72300 on: April 01, 2014, 06:35:34 pm »

I was going to go to sleep, but then I found a spider near where I sleep and sucked it up with a vacuum and now I'm scared there are more.
Search for them D:
I am too much of a scaredy pants to look for the spiders I am afraid of. This is why I had to go and get out the vacuum and hook it up and everything specifically to suck up a spider. Like, my arachnophobia is so bad that I can't crush spiders with anything thinner than the sole of my shoe.

I was going to go to sleep, but then I found a spider near where I sleep and sucked it up with a vacuum and now I'm scared there are more.
Don't be scared of spiders, they are cute and eat annoying flying things. I honestly wish I could encourage more spiders to take up residence in and around my home. Summer is an incredibly uncomfortable time, crane flies are stupid, loud, and hard to make dead. Spiders fix that problem by trapping and eating them.
I live in the northwest. The worst we get are moths and houseflies, and I kind of like moths because they're fun to mess with.
Whenever I find a spider in my flat, I make sure to let the little fella out. It's a russian superstition - killing spiders brings bad luck.
I've heard that before, and it would explain why my life is terrible all the time, but I can't trap spiders, because I can't get near them at all.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72301 on: April 01, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »

It's the baby spiders it might have left behind that you should scared, since they start to search for food on their own if their mommy doesn't return home. Soon your whole house is crawling with mini spiders.
Stop scaring her. :I
Also, no. That's a generality. ._.
Don't baby spiders, like, eat the parents once they hatch or something? >_<

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72302 on: April 01, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

If that's the case how is a spider supposed to grow ancient and terrible in her web of darkness?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72303 on: April 01, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »

Depends per specie, Allee.

Also, knowledge is power. Understand your fear!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #72304 on: April 01, 2014, 06:38:51 pm »

It's the baby spiders it might have left behind that you should scared, since they start to search for food on their own if their mommy doesn't return home. Soon your whole house is crawling with mini spiders.
Stop scaring her. :I
Also, no. That's a generality. ._.
Don't baby spiders, like, eat the parents once they hatch or something? >_<
In some species, yes. But spiders are quite diverse. Wolf spiders, for instance, never build webs, and so the mother must carry around her babies until they are old enough to fend for themselves.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72305 on: April 01, 2014, 06:39:58 pm »

Whenever I find a spider in my flat, I make sure to let the little fella out. It's a russian superstition - killing spiders brings bad luck.
Putting house-dwelling spiders outside is pretty much a death sentence. Unless they manage to get back inside a building or generally warm and sheltered area they can't survive very well.
That's new. Link to knowledge please? :D
Best I could find at the moment was a Wikipedia quote because I'm lazy and also there is a surprising lack of general-people documentation of common spiders on the internet. Horrifically venomous ones sure, but not the kind that you're likely to see day-to-day.
Females that dwell indoors would usually live for over one or two years on the same web, with some residing for as long as seven years in rarely disturbed places (attics, basement or cellar parts, storage rooms, etc.). Outdoor females perish with cold weather and males rarely live for over a year.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72306 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »

Putting house-dwelling spiders outside is pretty much a death sentence. Unless they manage to get back inside a building or generally warm and sheltered area they can't survive very well.
The main problem is that my flat generally has no flies or other insects in it to serve as prey. Spiders are welcomed all over my dacha, where flies are a constant annoyance.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72307 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »

Ooo, awesome. Whenever I see a spider in my room-despite my now-latent arachnophobia (compared to befoere ._.) I just get a paper and let it free out the window.
I actually do the same thing. Never had an issue with arachnophobia, tho.

AlleeCat - I'm sure it's all fine. And no, if there are any species of spiders where the babies eat the parents, it's rare. What's more common is for the female to eat the male after they mate. :-\ But you don't have to worry about that.

Sad: I get exposed to limited understanding, which soon turns to hatred towards another person again. I will never understand why people are against other 'different' people.
me either. :-\

holy mother of forklifts, I got ninja'd five times.

If that's the case how is a spider supposed to grow ancient and terrible in her web of darkness?
Silmarillion reference?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:42:42 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72308 on: April 01, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »

@ Tiruin's sad: I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe it is simple territorial instinct. An outsider to "your" people represents potential competition for food, mates, resources, whathaveyou. Doesn't make much sense in the modern day world but those old primal instincts can be difficult to get rid of.

@ Alleecat's sad: I feel the same way about bees. Even the honeybees who can't do me any harm. Can't go near em, please get rid of them for me D:

Holy cow so many ninjas. Seven times.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72310 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:48 pm »

@ Alleecat's sad: I feel the same way about bees. Even the honeybees who can't do me any harm. Can't go near em, please get rid of them for me D:
I guess bees don't really scare me because I was always taught that if you don't disturb them, they won't hurt you. Plus it helps I'm not allergic.
I've had enough spider bites to know that spiders will not mind their own business, though.

Don't be scared of spiders, they are cute and eat annoying flying things. I honestly wish I could encourage more spiders to take up residence in and around my home. Summer is an incredibly uncomfortable time, crane flies are stupid, loud, and hard to make dead. Spiders fix that problem by trapping and eating them.
I don't know what that link is, but I do not open links in spider discussions on principle.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:51:58 pm by AlleeCat »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72311 on: April 01, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »

I guess bees don't really scare me because I was always taught that if you don't disturb them, they won't hurt you. Plus it helps I'm not allergic.
I've had enough spider bites to know that spiders will not mind their own business, though.
I used to be afraid of bees, but that was when I was six or so... I don't think there's any creatures I'm actually afraid of now. :\ we get black widows over here where I live, and I've gotten used to keeping an eye out for them and squishing them when I see any (which is rare, but).
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72312 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:36 pm »

In my dacha, we get plenty of snakes and centipedes. Centipedes used to freak me out, but now I think they're cool.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #72313 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »

It's the wandering ones, like wolf spiders, that probably bite you in your sleep. They crawl around at night, looking for prey. To them, you're just more terrain. But then you move and they bite defensively, and in the morning you wake up with an irritating welt that you feel when you put your shirt on. Damn, those things itch.

Ninja'd 3x
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72314 on: April 01, 2014, 06:55:13 pm »

I don't know what that link is, but I do not open links in spider discussions on principle.
I was taught the same thing, but it doesn't help. I see a bee outside my truck, I keep all the windows closed and try not to make any noise until it goes away :/
Spiders don't really scare me at all, so I don't get it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4819 4820 [4821] 4822 4823 ... 8167