Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4816 4817 [4818] 4819 4820 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449767 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72255 on: March 31, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »

It's not related to the current discussion, but this article from the UN made me sad: http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploads/IPCC_WG2AR5_SPM_Approved.pdf
Also, the BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26810559

Also, I was stuck at home all day due to a massive blizzard that's been going on for about 12 hours (~10-12 inches of snow so far).  :(
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72256 on: March 31, 2014, 07:08:32 pm »

Writing a depressed character.

I can't help but feel bad for him :(
I always feel bad when I have to play or write a depressed character :-[. And they are always depressed because they have severe PTSD because our gamemaster for this year doesn't like it when we steal the spotlight from his pet NPC and kills half the party in a needlessly gruesome manner on a regular basis so that we have to rely on whatever last survivor of an ancient and glorious race/cult/clan/organisation he currently wants to imagine himself as.
I can't write sad characters because its either my empathy that drives me to tears or a welling feeling of :( when I re-read to edit, or that I can relate to whatever sad the character is having--regardless of my experience of it or not.
Heh, I know the feeling. Oddly enough, though, the "I can't write" problem for me is the opposite - I do better when my characters are upset for one reason or another. I guess it helps to have a reason to try to pull them out of that mire of misery and despair, something for them to look forwards to and press onwards towards. I can't write happy characters too well because they feel flat to me.

This is a common problem among many people, as far as I can tell, prevalent enought to birth the entire "true art is about suffering" misconception. My advice for when you are writing a happy character and cannot help but feel that he or she has no distinct personality is to try and do what I call "working from the extreme". This is a very common, very basic trick for creative distinctive ways in which your characters act and it consists of, essentially, exagerrating the character's traits and actions to a ridiculous degree while writing him or her so that you have a clear idea of their behaviour, and then toning it down to a believable level.

To illustrate:
John Lobb enters his kitchen. He is angry. What is his most extreme imaginable reaction to being angry in a kitchen? He is impulsive, so he grabs a sledgehammer and smashes the hell out of his stove. So now you have a good idea of what form his actions will take and can tone it down to merely opening and closing his cupboards very loudly and forcefully while searching for salt.

Or, Urist is in the food stockpile. What is the most extreme thing he can do? Hastily grab a fistful of food from every barrel, stuff himself until he cannot eat enymore and then walk roll up to a booze barrel and spill it all over himself as he tries to pour it in his mouth. Tone it down a bit and you now understand that Urist occasionally overindulges and has a poor spatial awareness.
No, no. I mean, happy characters. Characters who are lighthearted and don't have any problems whatsoever make the whole story feel kind of boring to me when I'm writing it. To compensate, I either give them problems, or make them joke around a lot. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72257 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:16 pm »

I don't think I want to speak up when I'm with friends anymore. They either outright ignore me or make it obvious that they don't care what I have to say.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72258 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »

I don't think I want to speak up when I'm with friends anymore. They either outright ignore me or make it obvious that they don't care what I have to say.
Y?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72259 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:49 pm »

Y?
I guess I'm just plain boring.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72260 on: March 31, 2014, 08:23:33 pm »

That...isn't a logical reason at all.

Did you reflect on the matter? Did you ask them about it? Did you talk to anyone in regard to that opinion about it?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72261 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:33 pm »

That...isn't a logical reason at all.

Did you reflect on the matter? Did you ask them about it? Did you talk to anyone in regard to that opinion about it?
Keeping my mouth shut is kind of easier.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72262 on: March 31, 2014, 08:38:37 pm »

>__>
That doesn't help, and confines you to only your interpretation of things. See what I'm getting at, here?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72263 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

Could be that your friends are jerks, or that you're misinterpreting things, or that you're doing something they don't like but won't speak up about (see: them being jerks).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72264 on: March 31, 2014, 09:52:19 pm »

So, I have a total of 3 people in RL that I call my friends.

Tomorrow, one of them is leaving town, and I'll likely never see them in person again.

And they still won't have access to a computer for another half a year.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72265 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »

My computer is broken.

It's like someone somewhere has a list of my "sentimental things" and is ticking them off.
Also the day just got really boring.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72266 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:54 pm »

My heart hurts.

Too much laughter Dx

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72267 on: April 01, 2014, 01:11:51 am »

I always feel bad when I have to play or write a depressed character :-[. And they are always depressed because they have severe PTSD because our gamemaster for this year doesn't like it when we steal the spotlight from his pet NPC and kills half the party in a needlessly gruesome manner on a regular basis so that we have to rely on whatever last survivor of an ancient and glorious race/cult/clan/organisation he currently wants to imagine himself as.
I can't write sad characters because its either my empathy that drives me to tears or a welling feeling of :( when I re-read to edit, or that I can relate to whatever sad the character is having--regardless of my experience of it or not.
Heh, I know the feeling. Oddly enough, though, the "I can't write" problem for me is the opposite - I do better when my characters are upset for one reason or another. I guess it helps to have a reason to try to pull them out of that mire of misery and despair, something for them to look forwards to and press onwards towards. I can't write happy characters too well because they feel flat to me.

This is a common problem among many people, as far as I can tell, prevalent enought to birth the entire "true art is about suffering" misconception. My advice for when you are writing a happy character and cannot help but feel that he or she has no distinct personality is to try and do what I call "working from the extreme". This is a very common, very basic trick for creative distinctive ways in which your characters act and it consists of, essentially, exagerrating the character's traits and actions to a ridiculous degree while writing him or her so that you have a clear idea of their behaviour, and then toning it down to a believable level.

To illustrate:
John Lobb enters his kitchen. He is angry. What is his most extreme imaginable reaction to being angry in a kitchen? He is impulsive, so he grabs a sledgehammer and smashes the hell out of his stove. So now you have a good idea of what form his actions will take and can tone it down to merely opening and closing his cupboards very loudly and forcefully while searching for salt.

Or, Urist is in the food stockpile. What is the most extreme thing he can do? Hastily grab a fistful of food from every barrel, stuff himself until he cannot eat enymore and then walk roll up to a booze barrel and spill it all over himself as he tries to pour it in his mouth. Tone it down a bit and you now understand that Urist occasionally overindulges and has a poor spatial awareness.
No, no. I mean, happy characters. Characters who are lighthearted and don't have any problems whatsoever make the whole story feel kind of boring to me when I'm writing it. To compensate, I either give them problems, or make them joke around a lot. lol

They can be very useful for relieving the reader's tension between or even during high-conflict episodes. Kind of like R&R in the military. Comic relief. Because what you'll most likely get if you have an exclusively sad, traumatised or dysfunctional cast is a syndrome called darkness-induced audience apathy, when the reader loses the ability to sympathise with your characters because they are boring in the inevitability of their misery. Masterful execution is a surefire cure, as usual, but anything less, and chances are, your story will be left abandoned in the middle because the audience simply doesn't care about it anymore.

I'm sorry, I am ranting about my personal pet peeve here.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72268 on: April 01, 2014, 01:32:10 am »

My head hurts. It has been hurting since yesterday morning and it continues to hurt. Can't exercise, because that makes it hurt worse. Can't do shit. Blood pressure elevated. Scared for my prospects. Pilots do not have blood pressure problems. Neither did I, but hello beautiful, I herd it's time for you to enlist, I'm your friendly fuck-up-yo-life disease. Must visit doctor. Apathetic. Must write to people. Also apathetic. May already be late for all I know.

I'll just go and pretend I'm a dead seal washed up on the beach.

Damn, Avis, you wanted to enlist as a pilot and your blood pressure stabbed you in the back like this?
I dunno yet, maybe it will still turn out okay. But nothing like this has happened before and it's freaking me out massively in addition to hurting like fuck. I already related this in the WTF thread - I was doing my usual pull-ups when there was this sudden sharp pain in the back of my head and then a headache for the rest of the day.
Now it's happened again. I dearly hope this is doctor-fixable.
You may have simply displaced one of your spine segments. It happens occasionally when you pull up, or push up in a slightly wrong way, and it causes you to feel various unpleasant stuff as the nerves that exit your spine column are clinched between your spine's bony bits. Have you tried doing careful stretches?

OK, now that I thought about that... it was sudden, so it's not chronic, and it developed after a single act of physical activity, so it's some kind of trauma, displacement or physiological reaction.

Your brain is fine, since you didn't mention vomiting or confusion or what-have-you symptomatic to that, so there's at least that, so we're left with nerves sans brain and skeleton plus blood vessels.

Huh. I literally just found THIS while reading up, but it is dubious for now, especially one of the criteria.
Thanks, you bros, that helped me calm down a bit. Now I must visit the doc ASAP, because I have only three months left until D-day. But thanks.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72269 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:34 am »

To illustrate:

They can be very useful for relieving the reader's tension between or even during high-conflict episodes. Kind of like R&R in the military. Comic relief. Because what you'll most likely get if you have an exclusively sad, traumatised or dysfunctional cast is a syndrome called darkness-induced audience apathy, when the reader loses the ability to sympathise with your characters because they are boring in the inevitability of their misery. Masterful execution is a surefire cure, as usual, but anything less, and chances are, your story will be left abandoned in the middle because the audience simply doesn't care about it anymore.

I'm sorry, I am ranting about my personal pet peeve here.
Looking at you, GRRM.

My sad or at least my discontent is that whenever my attraction to a person I know (that I won't be able to 'get with' probably ever, or at the very least a significant amount of time) resurges from the usual low burn, I can't sleep. Fuck you brain stop pining over what you can't have I gotta sleep and so do you.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4816 4817 [4818] 4819 4820 ... 8167