Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4785 4786 [4787] 4788 4789 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429161 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71790 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:58 pm »

No, sorry, I meant university subject-wise. I now assume science...so medicine?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71791 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »

Different people, guy with the annoying as hell to type username

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #71792 on: March 24, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »

Haha. Wow, I need sleep  :o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71793 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »

So I'll just add my two cents to the Willsauce thing as clarification or explanation.

This 'hatefest' or 'hate' or any other symbol of negativity towards him that was shown was not against the person, but towards what attitude he presented--something which I believe explains everyone's reaction towards him; nobody targeted him in particular, not his holistic person, but the attitude. Empathy is a common thing we all share, shown at different intervals but equal all the same, we stick up for people and we fight for people: all's good and well-just that we should establish what we're targeting so that nobody misunderstands what we're going against.

The best reason I daresay those of us who had spoken against him (me included) was due fully to that attitude presented. We saw what we didn't like, and voiced it out--but we did not ostracize him (or aim to, specifically), but as shows, the posts were aimed at the attitude.

Such things would incite any kind of reaction--but if you felt any kind of personal offence: I apologize Willsauce. Didn't mean to hurt you at all, but please know that sometimes, while you may jest: online and internationally, you must watch how you put down your words. We may take them as jokes at times, but sometimes the seriousness kicks in when you don't see it as serious (especially in my case wherein I'm blind to all forms of sarcasm unless I know the person. Yes, I don't know Willsauce.)

So if nothing good (nice) is to be posted, than thanks for noticing that.
Though if in case this is 'playing the victim', then it does no good but aggravate those feeling empathic towards you and push away those against you--in an extreme case. It doesn't do that well for the generality if the reason or the response isn't that detailed (vague) behind your actions, but please do take in mind that sometimes, misunderstandings may come about and when they do-respond with a level-head. We stated what to improve on, as criticism (or constructive criticism, in the intent).

Anyway...

Sads: Cough mostly every morning. Irritated throat. I suspect molds in the room. :x
Can't find any molds. Just cleaned room.
Still have cough.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #71794 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »

What are you doing?!?
Ahh..... Physics. At a very good uni (hopefully), but yeah. Still stupidly high :/
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71795 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:37 pm »

Might be dust and/or dust mites. I suggest thoroughly cleaning your bedding, and under your bed, and maybe get a new pillow and toss the old one.

Might also be a humidity issue, if you're used to a wetter environment and it's turned drier lately. Cold temperature can have a similar effect.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71796 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:13 pm »

Sads: Cough mostly every morning. Irritated throat. I suspect molds in the room. :x
Still have cough.

but... but... don't you see?

The mold.... it was in you all along! What you were really looking for was, uh, enlightement, or something.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71797 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71798 on: March 24, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »

The mold.... it was in you all along! What you were really looking for was, uh, enlightement, or something.
Noooo!
My throat insists on disagreeing but argh.
Hrrk~ x_x
Irritating pain.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71799 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »

Cough mostly every morning. Irritated throat. I suspect molds in the room. :x
Still have cough.

THEN WHO WAS MOLD?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71800 on: March 24, 2014, 05:19:52 pm »

the only thing making me sad right now is writing this ten page paper.

D:
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #71801 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:21 pm »

I'm reading through some topics here and there's always that haunting feeling of me just not being able to voice my opinion in such a clear, beautiful way that some of you do.

Time to go to bed.  :-\
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71802 on: March 24, 2014, 05:47:40 pm »

There's a trick, man. Nobody just sits down and writes all that.

1: Write an outline of all the points you want to talk about.
2: Write what you know already about each point. Figure out where you got that information and put a bibliography note after the paragraph. Mark all this stuff in red.
3: Quote your textbook. Teacher might have said not to do that, but if not it's a source that should count. If it doesn't, ask the teacher why he's using the textbook.
4: Get out there and find a couple sources that don't sound crazy. Watch out if they disagree with each other, but generally if you go after sources that talk about different things they probably won't have a chance to conflict.
5: Write your info that you found, make sure your info you knew ahead of time isn't wrong, and if it's cool then un-color it.
6: You're gonna do an introduction and a conclusion of some type. This is where you basically just summarize your paper. This way you give the reader three chances to understand, and if that's not enough then something is wrong with one or both of you. On a 10-page paper, it would be reasonable to have half a page for each of the intro and conclusion, meaning you actually only have a 9-page paper.
7: Does the bibliography count toward your page count requirement? If so, you can shave off another whole page.
8: Most teachers want you to double-space the lines so they can write their stuff in there in red ink. So you're actually only writing a 4.5 page paper.
9: You can get sneaky with formatting. Increase the margins just a tiny bit, increase the font kerning (space between letters), slightly increase the space between lines without going as far as 2.5 line spacing. This can get you an extra half page without being noticeable at all. In a pinch, certain fonts are well known for their horizontal space. Courier New is a particularly egregious offender, and may be banned. But Verdana is also rather wide and still looks good. Times New Roman is rather compact and should be used only if explicitly required.

So let's say you're at the end of what you can talk about on the topic and you've done some reasonable "creative formatting", and you're still only at 6 pages. You can expand your discussion on the topic and bring in more sources. You can frame this as "This stuff is about my argument #1, this next stuff is about my argument #2" and as long as it's all relevant to your topic (or thesis or whatever) and you tie it all together in your intro and especially conclusion, you're golden. Part of writing a long paper is picking a topic that's the right complexity for the page count you need to fill out.

However. I will say that unless you're super skilled at it, finessing the formatting can take longer than actually just doing more research and writing. You may also get some kudos from the teacher just for having a 10-page paper that's actually 10 pages without any chicanery behind the scenes. Everyone else will be skimping on this; if you don't, your teacher will start out with the assumption that you took the job seriously and didn't just start it the night before.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71803 on: March 24, 2014, 06:13:19 pm »

There's a trick, man. Nobody just sits down and writes all that.
I wish I was in your scope of 'nobody'.  :'(
Well, despite following most points you've got there, yeah I sit down and do all that in one sitting, but after thinking about it and probably planning the idea out. :P (Usually just jot down ideas, structure as I go along, write everything down, then go back and edit--applying the structured plan to conform, and enter the finished product).

...But we can all agree that it hurts the wrist/hand if we did that straight. :X
I think we took write/type in a different manner?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71804 on: March 24, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »

W-writing? You mean ...

there are people who still use paper?

Next you'll be telling me you balance your checkbook using a cuneiform stylus and clay tablets.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 4785 4786 [4787] 4788 4789 ... 8167