Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4765 4766 [4767] 4768 4769 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446625 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71490 on: March 19, 2014, 08:36:46 pm »

C'est la vie. We all sacrifice convenience for security.

The world needs a bit more trust.

Also another Thursday come and gone.
I didn't want to go to university without taking a shower, but my roommates had accidentally clogged it. So now I'm fixing that, and will most likely just clean the bathroom instead of going to university.

The actual sad here is, I'd think of myself as being in the same 'manliness' league as 'quizz or Mzero, but really I'm just a bundle of neuroses and constant social fear. I guess we all are.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:04:01 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71491 on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »

Something made me sad today, and I forgot.

I don't know how to feel about this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #71492 on: March 20, 2014, 03:10:15 am »

*waves vaguely* Doctor yes.

From what I've picked up re: Making things worse and diet and whatnot, it's bloody close to impossible in modern times -- yes, even if your diet is basically horrible and you spend a lot of time on the computer*. If your eyes are getting worse, there's not actually much you could have done about it. You won the genetic lottery, and that's basically that (barring the occasional edge case, but edge case is edge.). Majority of stuff saying otherwise is modern snake oil, plain and simple.
I'm surprised to hear that as past doctors have warned me to keep an eye on getting my vitamins because I'm a vegetarian. The other thing I considered is diabetes as I eat too much sugary food. I know it can cause vision problems because it has with my grandmother. This was only a passing thought as other than my more poor diet I couldn't be much less at risk.

Friends thinking glasses made things worse in the long run is frank bullshit. It would have got worse anyway, and glasses didn't have a thing to do with it. Would have happened if they wore contacts, would have happened if they wore glasses, and would have happened and been accompanied by a great deal of inconvenience and regular headaches if they had no vision correcting tools at all.
Fair enough. Glad to be corrected.

E: Hrm. Though sorry if some of that came off as somewhat aggressive. I don't exactly mean to demean your friends or anything. They're mostly just making a correlation/causation mistake. S'just misinformation is somewhat annoying, especially on a topic like this. I've gotten a fair amount of flak over the years due to strongly preferring lower-light conditions (i.e. "open the blinds and leave the lights off" kinda' stuff. Half the people in this state are apparently light blind or something.), so the subject's a little soapbox-y for me.
Don't worry. I'm fond of finding out about common misconceptions.

Could be wrong again, but I was under the impression high light levels were more dangerous than low. Where I work they started lowering the light levels to save money and because they claimed it causes less eye stress.

Cheers to everyone who posted advice :).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71493 on: March 20, 2014, 03:16:23 am »

There's a reason I've never had iTunes on... anything.

My friends hate it (They have it), heard about how godawful it is multiple times...

Easier for me to get the CD, stick it onto the computer and transfer the files to whatever. WINAMP Spotify

FTFY
FTFY

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71494 on: March 20, 2014, 03:41:27 am »

E: This should not have been mentioned.

...I saw a plant die.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:50:23 am by Tiruin »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71495 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:22 am »

The actual sad here is, I'd think of myself as being in the same 'manliness' league as 'quizz or Mzero, but really I'm just a bundle of neuroses and constant social fear. I guess we all are.
No worries, there, man. The only reason I'm a stereotypical manly-man, and there are many who would argue that I am not, is because I'm a bundle of neuroses wrapped in seething anger and paranoia, and have thus far failed spectacularly at being a successful person. Being manlyman isn't all it's cracked up to be, and isn't intrinsically worth anything anyway. Focus on being a good person instead, you'll get a lot more out of life.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71496 on: March 20, 2014, 04:20:31 am »

Yeah, it's what I strive for. But for some reason I gave myself such a shitty upbringing that my priorities are all out of order.
It's a confusing way to be.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71497 on: March 20, 2014, 08:27:45 am »

Multiple nightmares.

That depression thing.

Being unable to talk with Internet friends.

Siiiiigh :(

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71498 on: March 20, 2014, 08:28:44 am »

I'm surprised to hear that as past doctors have warned me to keep an eye on getting my vitamins because I'm a vegetarian. The other thing I considered is diabetes as I eat too much sugary food. I know it can cause vision problems because it has with my grandmother. This was only a passing thought as other than my more poor diet I couldn't be much less at risk.
Diabetes would be an edge case ;) At the same time, I've got family with the condition that's not seeing any (extra -- they were already using glasses and whatnot) deterioration. Do understand it's a known symptom, though.

And a vitamin supplement would be plenty for just about anyone in a modern society -- most wouldn't really need that to keep their eyes going, but your average multivitamin is basically full assurance that if your eyes are going kaput, it's not your food.

Could be wrong again, but I was under the impression high light levels were more dangerous than low. Where I work they started lowering the light levels to save money and because they claimed it causes less eye stress.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised, heh, but it's also definitely not what the zeitgeist in this area has internalized as true, ha.

Though re: eye stress, there's also particular issues with specific forms of lighting. Florescent lights are known to cause headaches and additional eye strain, moreso than equal lighting from several other sources, from what I understand. I definitely know I feel better after a day under sunlight or LED/incandescents -- or even just smaller (or at least better concealed, so the bulbs aren't directly visible) florescent stuff than they tend to use in, say, schools -- than I do under ubiquitous florescent conditions. Damned flickery buggers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #71499 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:36 am »

Feeling depressed every single day is not a good feeling to have ...

:|
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:29:32 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71500 on: March 20, 2014, 09:39:08 am »

I don't mind fluorescents, unless the rate they flicker at is slowed down (Flourescants tend to flicker faster than the eye can keep track of, so it appears as a continuous source of light). If that happens, they start giving me a headache.

I had a similar problem, except with sound. Older TVs would emit a constant, high-pitched whine that, for most people, fades into background noise. It usually does for me as well, but if I do notice that, I can't unhear it, and I get a headache after an hour or two.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71501 on: March 20, 2014, 10:18:50 am »

I tried to recommend a sci-fi book to my girlfriend that I thought she would enjoy, and cannot remember the name of the book or the author. I can remember a ton of stuff about the book, but google has lent me no help. It makes me sad because I read a ton of books in the past few years, and that book was in my top 20.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71502 on: March 20, 2014, 10:20:05 am »

Can you remember anything about it?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71503 on: March 20, 2014, 10:32:48 am »

Can you remember anything about it?
Eh, sure. It was a sci-fi book that was futuristic, with a caste system set up. The higher ups/military were called Princes and were commonly cloned on death (and so basically immortal) and genetically modified to be awesome. In order for cloning to work though, they had to get memories which were uploaded into a database, so it was possible to permanently end someone by keeping them from being in contact with the database and killing them. It followed one particular Prince who got into quite a bit of trouble, ended up being demoted and I believe stripped of being a Prince. He also might have lost his memory at one point, I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: I'm also almost positive Prince was in the name of the book, but like I said, I've google and found naught.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:35:08 am by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71504 on: March 20, 2014, 11:06:38 am »

Might be one of these 86 books.

Searching for just Prince gives 13283 results, so I don't think checking that would be worth your time :P
Pages: 1 ... 4765 4766 [4767] 4768 4769 ... 8167