Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4758 4759 [4760] 4761 4762 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448925 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71385 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:47 pm »

Tiruin, It's all about the size of the bucket. A person can learn a lot of stuff later in life, but they literally don't have the absorptive potential of the young.
A 50 year old can learn a bunch of new stuff when they're old, but it usually just replaces 'dead information' which they gathered when they were young. Like pouring new water in a bucket full of water.

Or so is how my professor explained it to me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #71386 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »

It's not the interesting thing as much as the fact that I'm not really productive. I mean the only thing I can be proud of here is some ISG in the FG&RP that really isn't any good.
Ok, that makes sense then. If you barely post, then nobody will know you.
But it baffles me why people on this forum want to be known.
It's a matter of self-worth, I suppose. People generally want to feel useful for other people, unless their name is John Galt.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71387 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:28 pm »

I'm not sure his arguments are really supposed to be arguments. I always thought they were a manifestation of his sense of humor...
Not even I can tell when I'm joking anymore.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71388 on: March 17, 2014, 11:10:48 pm »

Tiruin, It's all about the size of the bucket. A person can learn a lot of stuff later in life, but they literally don't have the absorptive potential of the young.
A 50 year old can learn a bunch of new stuff when they're old, but it usually just replaces 'dead information' which they gathered when they were young. Like pouring new water in a bucket full of water.

Mmm, true. What I guess points to the hippocampus, but I'm really doubtful that the conscious sphere of thought is that limited...

It's not the interesting thing as much as the fact that I'm not really productive. I mean the only thing I can be proud of here is some ISG in the FG&RP that really isn't any good.
Ok, that makes sense then. If you barely post, then nobody will know you.
But it baffles me why people on this forum want to be known.
It's a matter of self-worth, I suppose. People generally want to feel useful for other people, unless their name is John Galt.
Fun fact: Good self-esteem increases lifespan! :D
I mean, it's not like bad self-esteem is permanent unless you don't try. Sooner or later you'll find out that whatever is bringing you down about your esteem is...pretty much just an observation by others. DOn't be negative and kill yourself for it. Grow and learn from it!
*cheers Objective*
You're useful. :v

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71389 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »

I'm not sure his arguments are really supposed to be arguments. I always thought they were a manifestation of his sense of humor...
Hah! That's a good one.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71390 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:05 pm »

Hah! That's a good one.
Quit derailing the thread.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71391 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:01 pm »

The brain is an odd thing. In psychology, we've had to learn case studies of what physical damage can do to you depending on the part of the brain affected.

The amount of knowledge we can hold is near-limitless, discounting damage or abnormalities in the brain. Nothing gets pushed out of what has been encoded, though information can definitely interfere with one another.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I'm basically regurgitating stuff from class.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71392 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:27 pm »

It's not a derail if I'm sad!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71393 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:50 pm »

Mm... iirc, it's not so much information -- we've got memory storage capacity that would last for something like several hundred years or something equally ridiculous -- as mental pathways. Connections between ideas (or parts of the brain, or some such), or something along those lines. Which becomes harder and harder to form as people grow older, especially past the whole physical maturity peak thing, before which they form much, much easier.

As you note, though, they can be re-purposed and whatnot -- it's one of the reasons it's usually easier to teach older folks if you can relate whatever you're teaching them to things they already know, or modes of thinking they're already used to. Mind you, that helps the young as well, but from my understanding of things younglings're better at going without that.

And @ T's family -- again, that doesn't mean something silly like the elderly stop being able to learn or whatev'. You can still have very mentally spry old people, and folks that learn very well once the brain's mostly done growing. Just means they're not as equipped for it as they were, from a neurological perspective, and on the average you're going to see older folks have a harder time learning new things. Barring neurological damage they can still do it, just not quite as easily.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71394 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »

And @ T's family -- again, that doesn't mean something silly like the elderly stop being able to learn or whatev'. You can still have very mentally spry old people, and folks that learn very well once the brain's mostly done growing. Just means they're not as equipped for it as they were, from a neurological perspective, and on the average you're going to see older folks have a harder time learning new things. Barring neurological damage they can still do it, just not quite as easily.
Thanks Frumple. :)

On that note, I'll be factually deviant by going against all this and equip myself harder. Testing that out~

The brain is an odd thing. In psychology, we've had to learn case studies of what physical damage can do to you depending on the part of the brain affected.

The amount of knowledge we can hold is near-limitless, discounting damage or abnormalities in the brain. Nothing gets pushed out of what has been encoded, though information can definitely interfere with one another.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I'm basically regurgitating stuff from class.
^ Basically says my point so easily.  :'( :'(

WHY CAN'T I BE CONCISE?!
*sads*

There, thread re-railed. :I

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71395 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:15 pm »

Yes, I suppose it is re-railed. Except whenever I try to explain what I want to say I can't find the correct words, so I just don't say anything...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71396 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:36 pm »

We should derail the thread by discussing whether or not we derailed the thread.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71397 on: March 17, 2014, 11:45:47 pm »

My sads are the fact that practically every time I check this, Tiruin is upset about bad writing/not being concise/thinking she isn't getting her point across right.
God dang it, stop it, you're fine.
*Mastahcheese shakes fist at Tiruin*

Maybe this belongs more in rage thread.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71398 on: March 17, 2014, 11:47:48 pm »

Probably does, cheese.

I suppose my sads is just life in general.  I have never seen a purpose in myself.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71399 on: March 17, 2014, 11:49:38 pm »

Probably does, cheese.

I suppose my sads is just life in general.  I have never seen a purpose in myself.
You'll find one.
I felt like that for frelling years and years (wrote that second one as "tears" by mistake).
You'll find a purpose, and then you'll wonder why you didn't know it before.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4758 4759 [4760] 4761 4762 ... 8167