Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4757 4758 [4759] 4760 4761 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448129 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71370 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:14 pm »

I had some stuff typed up, but I'm just going to cut it and say that everyone here has my empathy.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71371 on: March 17, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »

The brain is the same as a muscle. Don't use it, you lose it.
In fact, past age 24, it gets a lot harder to learn new things. Not that I'm past 24 yet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71372 on: March 17, 2014, 10:04:09 pm »

In fact, past age 24, it gets a lot harder to learn new things. Not that I'm past 24 yet.
Not a fact. :P The statistics and common notions regarding this are based on what the populace commonly believes.
That, or the note that me and my whole family are quite...not in that same fact, because my dad is quitely much learning a ton of new things, and he's in his sixties.

Meaning: It's FULLY up to the person in regard to learning.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71373 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:29 pm »

You can't actually lose that...
I'm going to argue that you, in fact, can lose it. I personally suffer from the sometimes debilitating after-effects of concussions, which sometimes make me feel like I'm dumb as a tree stump. There are days when I'm pretty sharp, but most days aren't like that, and I'm never as sharp as I once was.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #71374 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:13 pm »

You're part of this community! D:
one of us one of us one of us

I just realized that I'm in at least five different online communities, and I'm not truly a part of any of them.
I'd say you're part of this one.
Whether you like it or not

Part of it as in one of the many background noises that help to outline the more interesting people, yes.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71375 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

You're part of this community! D:
one of us one of us one of us

I just realized that I'm in at least five different online communities, and I'm not truly a part of any of them.
I'd say you're part of this one.
Whether you like it or not

Part of it as in one of the many background noises that help to outline the more interesting people, yes.
Not true. Find something you like and stuck to it, and soon you'll be the most interesting person around :D

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71376 on: March 17, 2014, 10:36:18 pm »

My own (admittedly rather minor) sad: A while ago, a band I knew of started a Kickstarter to get their album made.
I wasn't really sure what to think about that- I mean, they're dedicated musicians and presumably going to get their music out there anyway, so asking for a few thousand dollars to do it just seemed a bit... strange, especially given this is a punk band we're talking about. Then again, they've released several albums previously, so I figured maybe they just wanted to make this one as good as it possibly could be.

Yesterday another band I like (one who are more local, this time) put up a kickstarter for their new album as well.
Now, these guys are awesome, awesome enough that I'll probably even give them some money, but still... not sure if I want to see this become a trend for music like it has for videogames. Could be the beginning of a slippery slope, and suddenly all my favourite bands are kickstarting all their records. >.> Eesh.
Minimum cost of an album with any sort of decent production quality unless everyone involved is volunteering their time: $5,000

This used to be handled by record labels, but right now the entire music industry is in flux, and if you want to succeed you have to front the cash if you want to throw yourself into the arena. Kickstarter is actually perfect for the music industry right now as it allows the struggling artists and recording/mixing/mastering engineers to make money without the bloated middle men. If you're giving them money to make an album, you are giving them an actual shot right now.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71377 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

Mm, I should reword mine.

I'm going to argue that you, in fact, can lose it. I personally suffer from the sometimes debilitating after-effects of concussions, which sometimes make me feel like I'm dumb as a tree stump. There are days when I'm pretty sharp, but most days aren't like that, and I'm never as sharp as I once was.
When I say -that-, I mean the potential of learning. It is never lost. We may forget (or not be able to consciously remember, yes this is different from forgetting), but we can always relearn.
Why we're smarter before (usually I guess this pertains to those older than "25" or so?) is because we exercised our brains more, I believe. Check on elementary and the like. What did you do for most of your day? :P

Oh you and your self-deprecation. :I
You're interesting. Everyone, is interesting.
Whoever made it a fact that someone, somewhere, was uninteresting?!

That's what makes me sad.
People believing that they aren't interesting. And it's not the people I'm sad in, its the notion or belief behind the cause of that. Grr.

Psychology~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #71378 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »

Oh you and your self-deprecation. :I
You're interesting. Everyone, is interesting.
Whoever made it a fact that someone, somewhere, was uninteresting?!

That's what makes me sad.
People believing that they aren't interesting. And it's not the people I'm sad in, its the notion or belief behind the cause of that. Grr.

Psychology~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
It's not the interesting thing as much as the fact that I'm not really productive. I mean the only thing I can be proud of here is some ISG in the FG&RP that really isn't any good.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71379 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »

Like I said, self-deprecation. There is no limit to how good you are other than what you set for yourself, and we're all quite aspiring mammals, aye?
Build up on it, improve, keep moving forward.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71380 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:11 pm »

It's not the interesting thing as much as the fact that I'm not really productive. I mean the only thing I can be proud of here is some ISG in the FG&RP that really isn't any good.
Ok, that makes sense then. If you barely post, then nobody will know you.
But it baffles me why people on this forum want to be known.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71381 on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »

When I say -that-, I mean the potential of learning. It is never lost. We may forget (or not be able to consciously remember, yes this is different from forgetting), but we can always relearn.
Why we're smarter before (usually I guess this pertains to those older than "25" or so?) is because we exercised our brains more, I believe. Check on elementary and the like. What did you do for most of your day? :P
... nah, T. It actually does become harder to learn as you get older, for the vast majority of the population. Vaguely remember something about pathway formation (?), though I've badly forgotten the details. It's a very well known neurological thing, last I checked the research on it (though, being fair, this was several years back. Maybe they've found out new stuff while I wasn't paying much attention.). Not just folk psych, actual neurology studies.

S'one of the reasons it's a lot easier to learn new languages when you're young than when you're old (and why mono-lingual education systems are honestly practically criminal, from an educational efficiency standpoint. Languages are best learned young.*). Your brain's literally better wired for it at the time.

Doesn't mean it becomes impossible to learn (for most -- there are degenerative or brain-damage conditions that do make it impossible), but... not as easy. Will's part of it -- you won't learn if you don't want to -- but th'brain's just not as good at learning once you're past full physical maturity.

That said, staying as mentally active as possible does slow down the change (and there's still plenty of older folks that can pick up new tricks and whatnot just fine. Harder doesn't mean impossible, it just means harder.), and make it less likely for varying degeneration scenarios to show up.

* Also means that, yes, how a lot of stuff (Like, say, math or coding) is taught in most educational facilities are kinda' backassward. Languages -- including math, logic, basic programming principles, and spoken/written stuff -- are best taught young, and through use. But we don't, in general *vague mutterances*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71382 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »

...So I and my family are 'weird' (or..y'know, not adhering to that study or whatever).
Um. I don't know how to feel about this.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71383 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:56 pm »

This. Having done airduster and other drugs that seriously impact your brain, I can tell you that you CAN lose intelligence.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71384 on: March 17, 2014, 11:05:41 pm »

Medically, you can-due to external stimuli. :/ Yeah. I worded it wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 4757 4758 [4759] 4760 4761 ... 8167