Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4755 4756 [4757] 4758 4759 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439170 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71340 on: March 17, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

Damn, C, Talvieno. I'm sorry to hear about all that. :(
When I hear about you guys going through that sort of bullshit, I just wish I could bust in there and bail you out. I mightn't be the happiest person around, but at least I don't have to go through that sort of thing. I wish I could help you out.
If only it was possible. I'll have to settle for extending an internet fistbump of support.

My own (admittedly rather minor) sad: A while ago, a band I knew of started a Kickstarter to get their album made.
I wasn't really sure what to think about that- I mean, they're dedicated musicians and presumably going to get their music out there anyway, so asking for a few thousand dollars to do it just seemed a bit... strange, especially given this is a punk band we're talking about. Then again, they've released several albums previously, so I figured maybe they just wanted to make this one as good as it possibly could be.

Yesterday another band I like (one who are more local, this time) put up a kickstarter for their new album as well.
Now, these guys are awesome, awesome enough that I'll probably even give them some money, but still... not sure if I want to see this become a trend for music like it has for videogames. Could be the beginning of a slippery slope, and suddenly all my favourite bands are kickstarting all their records. >.> Eesh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71341 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:28 pm »

Mm... you're definitely going to see it become a trend in music, yes, and the whole crowd-funding thing in general expand beyond video games. Look forward to it. Easy to pull off crowd-funding enabled by stuff like kickstarter is just taking off, really. It'll be awhile before it hits equilibrium in terms of usage, and it's definitely going to be at least tried in every market it can be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71342 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »

-my IQ is merely 135-

-followed by a story of horrible abuse-

Holy. Shit.

Looks like your mom need to take a little bit of reality to her face. Have you ever thought of stealing some cash and running away? Hell, you could even probably call the cops and report domestic abuse.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:36:34 pm by Knit tie »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71343 on: March 17, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »

Hell, you could even probably call the cops and report domestic abuse.

If there's any minors in the home, he can definitely call the cops and report child abuse, and should.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71344 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »

I recommend the cop option, but that's because I'm Lawful Good.[/unfunnyreferencesthataretotallyhorriblefortheseriousnessofthesituation]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:45:33 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71345 on: March 17, 2014, 07:43:54 pm »

If I were in your country, Talvieno, I would call cops for you. But I can't, so please do it yourself. Your mother does not deserve your pity.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71346 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:02 pm »

Hell, you could even probably call the cops and report domestic abuse.

If there's any minors in the home, he can definitely call the cops and report child abuse, and should.
Seconded. My sympathies, Talvieno.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71347 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »

>.>
I like this part:

When I was in grades k-3, I was quickly recognized as ahead of the rest of the class and given special classes (Apex, they called them) (this isn't particularly impressive for somebody playing dwarf fortress, I suppose, and I'm trying to use this to explain my story, so don't think I'm bragging :P (my IQ is merely 135, nothing incredible))

Because my IQ is only like 119, and I was never in Gifted classes (As we call them here. :P ). Plus the subsequent drug usage after the last IQ test, and then my renewed usage recently have probably affected my IQ negatively, not that it's a very good measure of intelligence anyways. I don't think intelligence is easily quantified, because I'm intelligent, but not very smart at all. I can remember things and learn things incredibly quickly, I'm just not good at utilizing all that information.

/randomtangent
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71348 on: March 17, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

eep. :-\ I think I totally screwed that up... I was just trying to help cmega feel better... I think I should've put it in PM. >.<

and, if I call the cops, my siblings and I will get split up, and they'll all get put into foster homes, so there's that to think about...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:17:10 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71349 on: March 17, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

eep. :-\ I think I totally screwed that up... I was just trying to make cmega feel better... I think I should've put it in PM.

and, if I call the cops, my siblings and I will get split up, and they'll all get put into foster homes, so there's that to think about...

Do they love you? Do you love them? Do you think you could spend a couple years away from each other without it being detrimental to your relationship? Do they need your care that much?

And, most importantly, why? Why will you have to split up?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71350 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »

Tal's of age, and almost certainly not able to support the younger ones independently given the stated history. Calling in social services of some stripe would, judging by the sound of things, end up with them in foster care and Tal... probably on the streets, from the look of it.

It... might still be something to consider if it would put the siblings in a better situation, but foster care is somewhat notoriously inconsistent in quality, and if the situation isn't too bad for them, as is, well...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71351 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »

Heh, no, you're okay. I didn't take it offensively or let it make me feel bad, I was just musing. I can't really contribute on the poor environment growing up, because I actually have an amazing family (for the most part, barring a few that can be rather troublesome at times.) and while I was corporally punished as a child, I was never abused or beaten excessively. Just a few spanks on the bottom, which shouldn't be too dangerous to most kids. :P I wonder if I wouldn't have better motivation if I had grown up in a less supportive environment, because that's a serious issue I find myself facing.

And I agree with Knit tie. Even though it seems a scary option, that might not necessarily be the case, and it might be directly beneficial to you AND them. I'm not saying it definitely is, just that you need to weigh your options carefully. Which you probably already knew. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71352 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »

Mm... you're definitely going to see it become a trend in music, yes, and the whole crowd-funding thing in general expand beyond video games. Look forward to it. Easy to pull off crowd-funding enabled by stuff like kickstarter is just taking off, really. It'll be awhile before it hits equilibrium in terms of usage, and it's definitely going to be at least tried in every market it can be.

Still, it would be a shame to see supporting bands by going to their shows and buying their merch replaced by simply throwing money at a kickstarter.
I doubt that'd really happen, though... in fact my previous post probably would have made more sense in the WTF thread. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71353 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:58 pm »

Well, I was already horrified at the thought of cmega3 getting the belt, but... what. the. fuck.

Talvieno: If you already have no real perspective, what about your siblings? Or to phrase it more drastically: Is there any way in which calling the cops would negatively affect them? Like, at all? That sounds like the worst kind of environment to grow up in - and that includes sweatshops from musicals set in 19th century London.

So yeah, I'd say call the friggin' cops.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #71354 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »

Let me explain my sads yesterday...

In 2-4 days my mom will be shouting at me about how irresponsible I am, how unsociable the computer is making me and how I waste so much potential and she has sacrificed so much for me and how can ai be so ungrateful and there's people starving outside and I'm gonna ruin my life. I'll probably get belt
lashed or worse, and won't be able to talk to you guys for at least a month, probably two to four.

Add to this the fact that school has been as bad as ever, my classmates/friends are still being idiots, three teachers are angry at me, gaslighting is still going on (not as bad as some people have it, but it's still there) and I don't know what's right or wrong or what is going on.

I just... Can't. I can't anymore.

And I thought what I end up with on occasion is bad. I really get you on the bit with school, that makes my life heck. Stupid homework.

I'd say that you should try and get help, whether it be from a guidance counselor or the internet or what have you. This sounds seriously messed up, and the kind of assistance it sounds like you need is far beyond the scope of this mere forum.

Also, sorry if it sounds a bit impersonal, but... if you aren't going to be able to get on for a month at least, what would you rather have happen on the D&D thread? Again, I'm sorry if I sound cold or heartless or calculating, but if this is going to happen I need to plan ahead a bit

EDIT: I shouldn't have typed that... sorry. I shouldn't say emotional any things late at night, I always regret it later...

Oh, and this guy's counter argument has some good stuff in it.

Let me explain my sads yesterday...

In 2-4 days my mom will be shouting at me about how irresponsible I am, how unsociable the computer is making me and how I waste so much potential and she has sacrificed so much for me and how can ai be so ungrateful and there's people starving outside and I'm gonna ruin my life. I'll probably get belt
lashed or worse, and won't be able to talk to you guys for at least a month, probably two to four.

Add to this the fact that school has been as bad as ever, my classmates/friends are still being idiots, three teachers are angry at me, gaslighting is still going on (not as bad as some people have it, but it's still there) and I don't know what's right or wrong or what is going on.

I just... Can't. I can't anymore.
how unsociable the computer is making me
how unsociable the computer is making me

tl;dr Sorry about your mom being a helicopter parent and having overly high expectations of you. You should probably talk to her about that. Unless she's a total bitch who won't listen to her child's own opinions. Then all I can suggest is "Move out once you can."

Hopefully I didn't offend you or anything C. I'm only a stranger over the internet, I only know so much about your situation. This was fun to tear apart though. I admit your mom being so uptight about you not being "social enough" pisses me off, that probably prompted me to write all this. It seems like an incredibly stupid trivial thing to ground and beat one's child over. Good luck with all that other stuff. Don't let it stress you out too much.

cmega, I seriously feel for you. I had/have a slightly different version of that, and I know it totally sucks. Don't give up hope, though. Stay strong.

edit:

Holy crap. If you didn't have those siblings to look after, I'd say that you should just walk to that town.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:02:53 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 4755 4756 [4757] 4758 4759 ... 8167