Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4738 4739 [4740] 4741 4742 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453758 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #71085 on: March 14, 2014, 05:31:40 am »

I'm feeling just terrible today.. \o/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71086 on: March 14, 2014, 06:12:48 am »

I'm feeling just terrible today.. \o/
Well, that's what you go to school for :D!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71087 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:59 am »

2 assignments and tests all at once.

I'm set for about half of them.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71088 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:11 am »

Remain calm -- go into them with a smile and a bounce to your step, even if you're unprepared. Especially if you're unprepared. Embrace the challenge of walking into a unknown situation, and treat the work less like recollection of knowledge and more like a puzzle to be deciphered on the spot. And enjoy the game of it. Even though it may result in failure, attempting to "beat" a test or bit of work you're unprepared for can be fun, if you make it so.

And if you make it so, you will do better than otherwise. Fear is the mind killer, etc.

Which you may already know, but it bears repeating. Adams really did have a good bit of advice. Rule 1: Don't Panic.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:02:48 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71089 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:28 am »

I don't like movies either - they leave me too psychologically drained. So if I ever watch any, I do it on my computer, with several tea breaks in between.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71090 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:04 am »

I just spent two hours sitting in a derping position... it's sort of like a foetal position but instead of curling up into a ball, lie on your knees with your forehead planted against the floor and your arms doing whatever.
Pnx... Are you okay? This has me worried like nothing else. Can you take some time this weekend to get away from whatever's consuming you?
I've been having a really bad spring break... it's a mixture of stressing out about homework stuff, looking into potential new colleges and stressing out about them (they can get so expensive, and do I know this is going to be the right one to go for?), and the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow.

The birthday thing has been kind of a stressful reminder of the passage of time, how much of it I've wasted in my life, and has brought forward a bunch of stuff I really don't want to think about. I keep thinking about how I'll be 23, and I've been doing it so much I caught myself jumping forward a year, and then getting muddled up and thinking I'd be 24...

Also my parents have this habit of making my birthdays rather miserable by taking me out to celebrate in ways I really don't want to celebrate... Which is more or less the story of my life come to think of it.

I've also... been thinking about some relationship stuff... One of the colleges I wanted to go to is in the general area of someone I used to have feelings for, but who absolutely hates my guts out these days... and I kept panicking about it and running through various scenarios and conversations in my head trying to figure out how I'd deal with a confrontation with them. Something I wish I really wouldn't do, but not doing it would require me to be a functional normal human being, and no chance of that right?

I've thought about going to see a therapist about this stuff, but I'm not sure it's really going to help me at all... I've also thought about maybe it's time I tried giving medications another shot? My previous experiences trying medicinal therapy were awful, but sometimes this anxiety stuff is seriously horrific. I'm also pretty reluctant to try it because... well I really hate the idea of things screwing with my head like that...

Yugh.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71091 on: March 14, 2014, 12:31:49 pm »

I wholly recommend a therapist- sounds like you're sitting on a lot and you need someone to spill it out to. The therapist is perfect for that- they're there to help no matter what's rolling through your mind.
I'm not so sure it's a good idea really. I mean I already use this place as a venting space, and I have friends I talk to about this stuff as well. Plus I'm worried seeking treatment is something I'll be punished for.

How much of life have you wasted, really? You're still in your prime and capable for your years once over again, this time with none of the restraint of childhood or public education to weigh you down. Society seems to expect that we launch ourselves through school, into a career, and create a family, all in the same span of years when only one is feasible for that span of time. What's the rush?
4+ years, depending on how you measure it, to some extent it still feels like I'm wasting my life away. I'm wasting it far less than I was before, but I'm still not doing any of the things I really want to be doing with my life... like going exploring, or messing around with all the awesome interesting things that are out there.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71092 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:43 pm »

If it helps, your choice of location for undergraduate is surprisingly unimportant*. There are well-known exceptions (MIT for engineers, etc), but generally if you aren't going to a school that's particularly well-known for being awesome at the particular thing you're going for, you can expect a fair level of competency wherever you wind up going. So the important factors are money and comfort level. Money is an objective statistic you can look at; check cost of tuition and assume that your yearly rent+utilities will be in the ballpark of staying in an on-campus dorm all year. Comfort level is a good deal more subjective, but you can (f'rinstance) possibly rule out that one in the area of the former-friend as anything but a last resort. Whichever one you pick, chances are that there was no "right" answer, or more accurately that they were all right answers.

*This is based on experience and discussions within the US. I haven't got a clue where you actually live, and maybe things are different there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71093 on: March 14, 2014, 12:48:30 pm »

Wuuugh, I'm feeling incredibly drained. The universe seems to be against me, too :<

Good thing it's weekend (in two days I'm going to have antoher week uugh ;_;) (I'm really looking forward to exams and holidays)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71094 on: March 14, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »

If it helps, your choice of location for undergraduate is surprisingly unimportant*. There are well-known exceptions (MIT for engineers, etc), but generally if you aren't going to a school that's particularly well-known for being awesome at the particular thing you're going for, you can expect a fair level of competency wherever you wind up going. So the important factors are money and comfort level. Money is an objective statistic you can look at; check cost of tuition and assume that your yearly rent+utilities will be in the ballpark of staying in an on-campus dorm all year. Comfort level is a good deal more subjective, but you can (f'rinstance) possibly rule out that one in the area of the former-friend as anything but a last resort. Whichever one you pick, chances are that there was no "right" answer, or more accurately that they were all right answers.

*This is based on experience and discussions within the US. I haven't got a clue where you actually live, and maybe things are different there.
Really I think I'm realistically more likely to encounter them if I go to a university closer to my current home, than if I go to the particular university I was looking at. It's something I shouldn't be getting anxious about, but I'm getting anxious anyway.

Some of the ones I'm looking at are places I'd specifically want to shell out for because they're good colleges for science/math/engineering (I would like to go to MIT, but frankly I think it's just too expensive), and may present some opportunities other colleges cannot.

But other than that, yes, one reasonably priced college is more or less like the others.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71095 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »

> Consumed entire box of macaroni and cheese by myself.
> Acquired stomach ache.

My stomach is sore and I feel that I have overeaten. This compounds the general feeling of shit I've had all day.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71096 on: March 14, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »

Oh man I can totally eat a whole box of macaroni. Despite my appetite generally waning as I grew out of being a teenager. I shouldn't do it to myself, but sometimes ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71097 on: March 14, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »

What makes it worse is the fact that the box said that it's meant to serve up to four people.

I disagree, but my stomach does not.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #71098 on: March 14, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »

Having a "what the hell am I doing with my life" day. Pretty much just another Tuesday.

In other news, every day is now just another Tuesday.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71099 on: March 14, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

Feeling drained by all the people I have to interact with. This week has been pretty damn busy in that regard, and I'm supposed to do it tommorrow too.

But all I want is to stay home, get some snacks and just be with myself, some shows maybe and that's about it. Just to freaking recharge and take a break from all the people.

But that happens on Sunday, maybe, because my roommate gets back then, and if he gets here in the afternoon that means most of the day spent with another person and their questions and interaction and all that bullshit that right now I don't want to deal with :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4738 4739 [4740] 4741 4742 ... 8167