Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4724 4725 [4726] 4727 4728 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442318 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70875 on: March 10, 2014, 12:42:30 am »

I got almost 4 minutes of those 5 minutes covered for you.

(Don't be racist please. Sebastian is totally a lobster.)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70876 on: March 10, 2014, 06:15:17 am »

Start my new shift tomorrow. Day starts at noon, ends at midnight. This is gonna be murder on my normal sleep cycle at first .___.
Sounds like the perfect job for me - but I can't really drive all that well...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70877 on: March 10, 2014, 06:24:24 am »

Start my new shift tomorrow. Day starts at noon, ends at midnight. This is gonna be murder on my normal sleep cycle at first .___.
Sounds like the perfect job for me - but I can't really drive all that well...
I see no problem here.

Sad: I cannot think today.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70878 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:20 am »

I have occasional moments of disturbing clarity where I realise that I know exactly how easy it would be to, for example, drive a kitchen knife through my hand into a counter. Or that if I wanted to, I could be dead inside ten minutes.
One man's disturbing is another man's everyday routine.

I keep regretting going into computer science instead of biology, because now it'll be very hard to engineer a virus that will kill off the entire human population :(  Ahh, hindsight ...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70879 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:44 am »

If it makes you feel better, a computer virus would probably have a better chance than a biological one. The problem with a biological one is that I don't think we know how to set it up to be dormant until it's widespread enough to kill everyone before effective quarantine measures get put in place (and they will), but I think that might be easier with programming. Of course, the problem there is distribution, since the systems you can use to kill everyone on earth are certainly not networked to the Internet, so you'll have to get pretty creative, maybe pursue a career in military engineering or something just to get access. In either case, you'd have to be smarter than everyone else working in the relevant field, though.

... Huh, first time I've given advice on the practicality of human extinction. Probably not a thing I should be doing. Oh well!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70880 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:03 am »

... Huh, first time I've given advice on the practicality of human extinction. Probably not a thing I should be doing. Oh well!

On the bay12 forums, it was just a matter of time.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70881 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:45 am »

On the bay12 forums, it was just a matter of time.
Pretty sure this is not the first time it has happened.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #70882 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:10 am »

If it makes you feel better, a computer virus would probably have a better chance than a biological one. The problem with a biological one is that I don't think we know how to set it up to be dormant until it's widespread enough to kill everyone before effective quarantine measures get put in place (and they will), but I think that might be easier with programming. Of course, the problem there is distribution, since the systems you can use to kill everyone on earth are certainly not networked to the Internet, so you'll have to get pretty creative, maybe pursue a career in military engineering or something just to get access. In either case, you'd have to be smarter than everyone else working in the relevant field, though.

I missed the context so I've to argue that we've our own system to counter any virus. The computer needs to have one installed to combat their viruses, and even then its configured for certain operating systems only. :P
Unless I'm wrong in believing that Windows viruses don't work on Mac/Vista and such.

Sad: Finaaals. I should've done MORE in my hobbies than this. More updates on schedule. Less panic. Y u suck up my freetime, school, or what I believe should be my freetime.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70883 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:17 am »

Windows viruses don't work on Mac/Vista and such.
Vista is a windows operating system. Windows viruses wouldn't work on Mac or Linux, though, no.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70884 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:24 am »

I thought Vista was, itself, a Windows virus?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70885 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:52 am »

No, see a virus intends to mess with your computer and make it run slow.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #70886 on: March 10, 2014, 11:15:26 am »

I should've said Linux. Yay sleep deprivation! >_<

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70887 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:30 am »

No, see a virus intends to mess with your computer and make it run slow.
...isn't that an exact description of Vista? :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70888 on: March 10, 2014, 11:17:54 am »

Vista is, in fact, a piece of anti-virus software, because nothing runs on Vista.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70889 on: March 10, 2014, 11:20:36 am »

Vista is, in fact, a piece of anti-virus software, because nothing runs on Vista.

You shouldn't be trying to run something on Vista in the first place. The idea is that you use something to run from Vista, as quickly as possible.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4724 4725 [4726] 4727 4728 ... 8167