Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4664 4665 [4666] 4667 4668 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419627 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69975 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:39 am »

I could make a billion dong a day if I wanted to.  8)
A billion Vietnamese Dong is over $47k. I won't make that in the next six years, if my wages stay the same as they are now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69976 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:23 am »

Fuck. I fell on some ice and sprained my ankle really bad this morning, had to go to the hospital and now I'm pretty much a cripple who can't walk for the next two days. Fucking assholes and their icy porches.
I know what you mean, I have to walk down a set of (poorly maintained) stairs to get down to my car in the morning, and because the landlord won't fix the roof of the apartments next door, all the rain that hits their roof runs down onto those steps, and forms a two inch thick sheet of solid ice when it freezes. It's so ridiculous it's unreal. I've nearly fallen on it multiple times, and people usually comment on my ability to walk on slippery surfaces like it's nothing.
Hope you get better.
Oh, and so you don't feel alone, I know how it feels to not be able to walk to multiple days straight. When I was younger, both my legs went through some temporary paralysis and I couldn't move them at all for three days. I know it's not fun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69977 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:45 am »

One thing I never understood is this: Does a currency equating in that way, mean that someone making a billion VietDong a year lives the equivalent life of someone making 47K a year here, I.E. middle class, apartment and perhaps a car, some spending money (I'm aware that different average quality of life could make a not-insignificant difference here)? Or does it means that they're actually a billionaire and fairly rich by Vietnamese standards, I.E. high in society, fairly large house, servants, in Viet Weekly on occasion, etc?

Because as far as I can tell, currency exchange is not so much about what a dong can buy in your local country, as it is about how much USD you can get someone to part with in exchange for a dong. So not necessarily lined up, ye ken?

... Am I making any sense?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69978 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:33 am »

...the heck is chest day?
EVERY DAY IS CHEST HAIR DAY
Fix'd.

Also, MSH: The best thing you can do is stop before you say anything, and think tactically about your conversations. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but you have to realize that your words have power, and once you consciously think about that, it changes the way you approach everyone. If someone questions you about taking too long to respond, just tell them, "I want to make sure I say exactly what I mean," and then say exactly what you mean, nothing more, nothing less. Every time. It takes some practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, I also fully endorse this.

Beware, though.  That pause really, really pisses some people off.  Never quite figured it out, but there are some personality types who respond to it with a deep distrust and annoyance and will never be made to understand or tolerate it.  I have a co-worker who is one of these people.  I'm as nice as I can possibly be to her, whilst not backing down from her crap.  I don't know how I could possibly handle the situation any better.  Yet, if I had to work with her more than two days out of the week, one of us would probably be relocated or fired, because her opposition to me causes that much trouble.
On that pause-thing: The cause is usually something those people associate (something that triggers irritation or somesuch), or due to past events influencing their reaction (ie bad stuff//show of force or things that have to be detailed in long verse that I can't write well here)
So it is always best to explain your intent first.
And it is also best to empathize. Think if the other person would be hurt by what you'd say. Or if any offense will be made.
There are always better ways of saying things than blunt and rude.  :)

So apparently the creator of flappy bird is pulling the plug on it due to the large amount of abuse he's been getting from the gaming community over it. I never liked it/played it myself but still...
What happened there? D:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69979 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:55 am »

One thing I never understood is this: Does a currency equating in that way, mean that someone making a billion VietDong a year lives the equivalent life of someone making 47K a year here, I.E. middle class, apartment and perhaps a car, some spending money (I'm aware that different average quality of life could make a not-insignificant difference here)? Or does it means that they're actually a billionaire and fairly rich by Vietnamese standards, I.E. high in society, fairly large house, servants, in Viet Weekly on occasion, etc?

It's per day though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69980 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:49 am »

I don't care what HE'S making, he can fuck right off. I'm asking about what I asked. The numbers and time-line I used.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69981 on: February 09, 2014, 12:29:56 am »

I think it's more so on the "what the USD value would be" part.
If you can buy a loaf of bread with 1 dollar in the US, and a loaf of bread with 5 coins in the mushroom kingdom, then you'd need 5 times the amount of coins to live the same life that the US citizen needs in dollars.
The Derail Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69982 on: February 09, 2014, 12:31:24 am »

Hm. Is currency exchange related to that?

Because I know that right now, the USD and the CAD are about par, but in Canada things cost more, so for the same amount of money you have less purchasing power, and thus a lesser lifestyle capability.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69983 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:00 am »

It's... sort of related, but since it's never a straight up conversion across the board, it gets weird in places, but for the most part, that's how it works.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69984 on: February 09, 2014, 12:38:34 am »

... cost of living, in other words. Which is kinda' divorced from currency... nigh on entirely? Same <currency unit> goes different lengths in the same country/economic block, never mind other markets.

But no, currency exchange rates aren't really based on staple goods conversion or whatever, last time I bothered paying attention. Think it's supposed to be, or at least strongly influenced by, but I think the primary determining factor is... other stuff, these days.

As usually, the doctor can help.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69985 on: February 09, 2014, 12:40:35 am »

So that's my question, basically. When people say "A billion dongs is about 47k USD", what does that MEAN? Does that mean exchange rate, or purchasing power? If you took 47k to Vietnam, would you live like a billionaire or middle-class?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69986 on: February 09, 2014, 12:42:43 am »

It means exchange rate. How you'd live would depend on where you're at and the relative cost of things over there, which is a considerably more complicated formula.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69987 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:44 am »

I meant exchange rate, as per XE.com.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69988 on: February 09, 2014, 12:52:48 am »

Currency is confusing, so I just convince the locals to give me stuff. I am best tourist.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69989 on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:04 am »

So that's my question, basically. When people say "A billion dongs is about 47k USD", what does that MEAN? Does that mean exchange rate, or purchasing power? If you took 47k to Vietnam, would you live like a billionaire or middle-class?

When they just quote it, it's the exchange rate. If they want to clarify, they quote it as how much in PPP equivalent dollars.
Pages: 1 ... 4664 4665 [4666] 4667 4668 ... 8167