Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4659 4660 [4661] 4662 4663 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429614 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69900 on: February 06, 2014, 03:03:04 pm »

I just really want 2 games. One that lets you play in a living (and I mean actually living, where people will move around, fall in love, have kids, create cities and towns, amass armies and change the landscape, create dams and flood, invade each other, etc) fantasy world where you can do and have done to you anything. So you could play as a child who's mother drops him at the monastery, train as a monk, then pledge to the order of the Paladins, go out and fight evil, get corrupted into a death-knight, and build a dark fortress and control a region of evil woods. Or play as a serf who's land was invaded by bandits and was kidnapped, join with those bandits to survive, rise up the ranks of the bandit to the right-hand-man of the warlord, kill him and take command, then subjugate some villages and towns, and give each bandit under your command a fief, creating a kingdom of your own like the Norse did. Or play as the second prince of the king, plotting against your elder brother to get onto the throne yourself, or set out to learn the secrets of magic and be a loyal sage under your brothers command.

The other game is basically the same thing, a living world, only this time you're an explorer in a New World style game, with natives and great stone cities and colonization, and you can set what your Old World is like, whether you're one of the European nations (any of them, from Estonia to France to Scotland to Finland or whatever) to a fantasy realm, to a Roman colonization, to a Norse-style Vinland world, to an African nation colonizing South America-style jungle, etc.

Those two games, and I'll have to wait like 30 years for technology and programming to get to the point where they're remotely possible. ;_;
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:24:35 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69901 on: February 06, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »

A lot of pieces of those ideas are already in other games. Guild Wars 2, Mount and Blade, Dwarf Fortress, and a bunch of different roguelikes and god games I can't name off the top of my head. But yeah, I have yet to see a game where all those features are put together.

I was playing Dungeon crawl as a ghoul necromancer the other day and raising up every corpse I could find to be my skeletal servants and eating the leftover flesh, and it was sort of satisfying, but I wish I could do more. I want a game where I can raise up entire hordes and armies of undead and lay waste to entire cities. I want to watch and laugh as the masses of writhing, rotting flesh wash over those pathetic mortals as they try desperately to fight back, and are ultimately consumed as fuel for my unstoppable unholy army. Unfortunately I don't know of a game that will let me do that, so I'll just stick to Crawl and Dungeon Keeper...

DF in a few releases will probably let you do that. You can kind of do that now in Adventure mode as a Necromancer.

Also check out the Solid and Shade mod for Mount and Blade (not Warband).
I only have Warband. Is there a way to downgrade my copy? Playing Mount and Blade as a necromancer sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:22:02 pm by AlleeCat »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69902 on: February 06, 2014, 03:25:59 pm »

No, they're separate. I think there's like... a file or two you need from Vanilla to make it run on Warband. What those files are and how well it'll run, I don't know.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69903 on: February 06, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »

Descan, I don't know how many Threetoe stories you have read, but you are basically describing exactly what DF aspires to. Word for word perhaps.

I mean really, that's the dream Toady works to. That is his DF 1.0.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69904 on: February 06, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

You should try URR (Ultima Ratio Regum) as well. Still very Alpha, and it has discarded all fantasy elements a while ago, but still pretty much what you seem to want.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69905 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »

No, they're separate. I think there's like... a file or two you need from Vanilla to make it run on Warband. What those files are and how well it'll run, I don't know.

Yep. I'll get you the things you need after I wake up and return from my exam. I'm actually typing from a phone, because sleepytimes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69906 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:40 pm »

Or play as a serf who's land was invaded by bandits and was kidnapped, join with those bandits to survive, rise up the ranks of the bandit to the right-hand-man of the warlord, kill him and take command, then subjugate some villages and towns, and give each bandit under your command a fief, creating a kingdom of your own like the Norse did.
* scriver glares at Descan.

like the Norse did.
]:∣
Love, scriver~

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #69907 on: February 06, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »

I just really want 2 games. -snip-

Both games sound like they could be applied to a DnD campaign. You could even manage 'off-screen' NPC interactions and stuff to better simulate a flowing fantasy world, but it'd probably take way more work.

I was playing Dungeon crawl as a ghoul necromancer the other day and raising up every corpse I could find to be my skeletal servants and eating the leftover flesh, and it was sort of satisfying, but I wish I could do more. I want a game where I can raise up entire hordes and armies of undead and lay waste to entire cities. I want to watch and laugh as the masses of writhing, rotting flesh wash over those pathetic mortals as they try desperately to fight back, and are ultimately consumed as fuel for my unstoppable unholy army. Unfortunately I don't know of a game that will let me do that, so I'll just stick to Crawl and Dungeon Keeper...

I had a similar concept for a game in my head that I thought would make for a cool strategy-roguelike thing.
Obviously, the main roadblock for something like this is actually learning how to code the thing, in what language, with what resources, and actually sticking through to finish it. Considering it sounds like Dwarf Fortress complexity completely reworked into a strategy game, I doubt I'd ever do anything at all like it.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69908 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »

The army crafting you describe is Solid and Shade in a nutshell.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69909 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »

Or play as a serf who's land was invaded by bandits and was kidnapped, join with those bandits to survive, rise up the ranks of the bandit to the right-hand-man of the warlord, kill him and take command, then subjugate some villages and towns, and give each bandit under your command a fief, creating a kingdom of your own like the Norse did.

like the Norse did.
Well they didn't exactly hold onto that kingdom, but isn't the basic story of the invasion of Britain by the Norse that some dudes came in, marauded, set up fiefs under their warlords, and tried to settle down and control the native population?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69910 on: February 06, 2014, 07:37:26 pm »

Hmm... actually, this gives me a neat little idea. A game which puts you in a Victor Frankenstein role in a World War type scenario. Say you play as a mad scientist or necromancer, who secretly uses their unsavory experiments or magic or whatever to help protect the local village from a military invasion. You'd rob graves at night, maybe steal special equipment or research material, and raid battlefields for raw materials. You'd have to walk a fine line between making a large enough undead army to protect the village you live in from the invaders, while also keeping your activities secret from your neighbors so they don't end up chasing you out of town with pitchforks, or lynching you. A thanklessly heroic Necromancy Sim just seems like a neat concept. Something with gothic overtones, shambling skeletal hordes, and breath-stealing phantasms composed of shadow and ice. But styled to be a bit cute and vaguely Pikmin-like.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:42:44 pm by Solifuge »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69911 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

I just really want 2 games. -snip-

Both games sound like they could be applied to a DnD campaign. You could even manage 'off-screen' NPC interactions and stuff to better simulate a flowing fantasy world, but it'd probably take way more work.

I had a similar concept for a game in my head that I thought would make for a cool strategy-roguelike thing.
Obviously, the main roadblock for something like this is actually learning how to code the thing, in what language, with what resources, and actually sticking through to finish it. Considering it sounds like Dwarf Fortress complexity completely reworked into a strategy game, I doubt I'd ever do anything at all like it.
I wonder if you could mod LCS to be like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69912 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

like the Norse did.
Well they didn't exactly hold onto that kingdom, but isn't the basic story of the invasion of Britain by the Norse that some dudes came in, marauded, set up fiefs under their warlords, and tried to settle down and control the native population?

No.
Love, scriver~

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69913 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_activity_in_the_British_Isles

CK II! You mean Sudreyjar wasn't behind all this!?! You fibbing piece of fib! XD

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #69914 on: February 06, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

My cat got put down earlier.

He was 13. We'va had him for longer than I can remember.  tried not to be sad, and at first I wasn't. But just now, I went into the closet where he would usually wander into to sleep. I was going to let him up onto my bed, like always, but I looked, and remembered I wouldn't be able to do that anymore. For the first time forever, I am crying about losing a friend.

He stepped in my keyboard. He walked in front of my screen. He woke me up by sitting on my chest, and quite a few other things. I'll miss all of them. RIP.
Pages: 1 ... 4659 4660 [4661] 4662 4663 ... 8167