Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4634 4635 [4636] 4637 4638 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423270 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69525 on: January 27, 2014, 08:08:53 pm »

Kids have a tendency to grab on to you, to make them easier to carry. Also much of the weight is taken on your hip in the traditional carry stance.
Holding a box two-handed in front of you is comparatively far, far heavier.

That being said, most people who carry boxes often generally learn to catch one edge on their belt, which makes it a darn sight lighter.
It's all about muscle groups.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69526 on: January 27, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »

i have no innate sense of how much a pound is okay
For reference, when I was born I weighed 9-pounds, and that was enough to break my mother's tailbone.

A 70-pound pregnancy is like a zebra (yes I had to look that up).
If you've got a 70 pound baby in your stomach, something is horribly wrong.

She's talking about carrying around toddlers.
If you have any amount of baby in your stomach, there really is a problem; let alone 70 pounds.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69527 on: January 27, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »

Look, I happened to pig out on veal, okay?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69528 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:17 pm »

Kids have a tendency to grab on to you, to make them easier to carry. Also much of the weight is taken on your hip in the traditional carry stance.
Holding a box two-handed in front of you is comparatively far, far heavier.

This is why, when I'm carrying boxes of books, I usually carry them wedged on my hip.  *shrog*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69529 on: January 27, 2014, 08:30:12 pm »

Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.

Yeah, this is really one of those issues where not caring enough about your fellow man is the problem, not caring too much.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69530 on: January 27, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

Funny thing I've researched (ok, inferred from medical data): Men are naturally 'stronger' than women (due to hormones and all, puberty, and the development of the body...), but how strong they are is relative--muscle mass and such; it was a general assumption which exploded into a common belief despite the details being sketchy, though as a general fact there was little difference between what labors can be done by either sex, just the body build being different (differences also lie in the skeletal structure).

Sad thing in my opinion: these beliefs began to become a statement of 'what you can/cannot do'...despite as a whole-it doesn't make sense to classify by such.

*points to something summarzing all of this*
Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.

Yeah, this is really one of those issues where not caring enough about your fellow man is the problem, not caring too much.
^
Anyone can do anything. Literally.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69531 on: January 27, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »

Funny thing I've researched (ok, inferred from medical data): Men are naturally 'stronger' than women (due to hormones and all, puberty, and the development of the body...), but how strong they are is relative--muscle mass and such; it was a general assumption which exploded into a common belief despite the details being sketchy, though as a general fact there was little difference between what labors can be done by either sex, just the body build being different (differences also lie in the skeletal structure).

Sad thing in my opinion: these beliefs began to become a statement of 'what you can/cannot do'...despite as a whole-it doesn't make sense to classify by such.

*points to something summarzing all of this*

^
I couldn't stop myself
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69532 on: January 27, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »

If you have any amount of baby in your stomach, there really is a problem; let alone 70 pounds.
You've never heard people use the word that way? "Stomach" is quite often used for most things in the abdomen area, at least where I've lived. Especially when talking about pregnant women, as it's a... politer? term than uterus.

If you haven't heard "stomach" used that way, how about "tummy"?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:12:58 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #69533 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »

So long as it's within the realm of human capability, yes. None of us are going to be flying like super heroes anytime soon :P

What sadded me today: discussing existentialism in philosophy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69534 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »

Existentialism is great! Nihilism is the downer.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69535 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:22 pm »

Nihilism's pretty freeing, imo, if you spin it the right way. If nothing has value, everything is equal in value, and what is is what you make of it.

Existentialism is a bloody power trip of the best sort. Can be, anyway. It's the good stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #69536 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »

I couldn't stop myself
I obviously meant that with the unspoked 'with common sense.' :/

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69537 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:48 pm »

I couldn't stop myself
I obviously meant that with the unspoked 'with common sense.' :/
The sentiment is too funny to waste on such trivialities as sanity or common sense, though :\/\>
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69538 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »

Nihilism's pretty freeing, imo, if you spin it the right way.
In its dress clothes even pure cynicism seems a pleasant and reasonable thing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69539 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:00 pm »

Nihilism's pretty freeing, imo, if you spin it the right way.
In its dress clothes even pure cynicism seems a pleasant and reasonable thing.
What about a classy suit?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4634 4635 [4636] 4637 4638 ... 8167