Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4566 4567 [4568] 4569 4570 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429200 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68505 on: December 26, 2013, 12:52:32 am »

There appear to only be four with airports (or, at least, airport codes): Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, and Jordan.
New Jersey is its own country now??!

YES! They're gone! We did it!! *pops champagne cork*

Oh. You meant the little island off the coast of France.  :-\
*grumble grumble*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68506 on: December 26, 2013, 01:50:28 am »

If "Japanese" is too many syllables, then Nihon is a little bit shorter, and more respectful.  Will take some work to get culturally ignorant people to recognize that one, though.
It always bugs me that we don't call places by the name the people who live there call it. It's "Japan" and not "Nihon" like it should be.

Different languages have different names for different countries. That's only natural, and there's nothing inherently bad or offensive about it. I call their Nihon Japan, and they call my Sverige Suueden. I call Spain's España Spanien, they call my Svetige Suecia.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68507 on: December 26, 2013, 02:24:35 am »

I'm kind of ashamed to say this, but I understood that I hadn't been nominated in the gift giveaway thread (I don't do anything in the lower boards community-wise, so I don't really expect to be "recognized" for anything there) until I saw that Meph and Deon both were but not me  :-[

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68508 on: December 26, 2013, 02:39:06 am »

... Huh. I thought you were on the list. Thought I looked. I must be going crazy but Imma go fix it. Y'do plenty.

EDIT: Okay it's done. You're somebody I recognize as making posts I like reading, so there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:43:29 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68509 on: December 26, 2013, 02:44:29 am »

We have a gift thread?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68510 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

This way.

There are actually several game-gifting threads in the Other Games forum, but this is one where you have to nominate other people. Youtube comments are the preferred place* to do so, but I have no account there and so cannot.

*This being the first time in history anyone's ever uttered the preceding six words in sequence.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68511 on: December 26, 2013, 09:13:11 am »

I apparently suck at conversations! Who knew?
Not me of course. >_>

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68512 on: December 26, 2013, 09:50:13 am »

I apparently suck at conversations! Who knew?
Not me of course. >_>

Conversation is a two way street. It's both parties' responsibilities to make it interesting, so don't hold yourself any more accountable than the person you were talking to.

If you want some tips to help make the other party find a conversation more interesting, just talk about something they like or can relate to. First try and get them to talk about it but if they lose momentum or have a hard time starting, just ask questions or tell a story about a situation they might find relatable.

Seriously though, if a bad conversation happens, the other person probably wasn't doing their part very well either.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68513 on: December 26, 2013, 11:17:07 am »

^^^
Most people love talking about themselves or their interests so even though you may not be enjoying the conversation, there's a decent chance they are.

Asking for clarification such as saying, "so you feel like . . ." or "you mean you . . ." show that you are interested in what they are saying and trying to understand. Most people like that and then consider you a good person to talk to... or talk at. Even if you know nothing about a subject, it can be easy to show interest with questions. Be honest about your lack of knowledge on a topic and act interested in learning more about it (even if you really couldn't care less). So "To be honest, I never really had an opportunity to get into Dr. Who. What about the show makes you like it so much."
Then the person goes along and talks about it with your occasional input question to keep the conversation progressing. Even if you never end up watching the show, you can use what you hear in that conversation for future ones. Talking to another person who likes Dr. Who and maybe mention, "Oh yeah, I heard about the one episode where . . . it sounded pretty interesting, I might start getting into the show myself."

The perfect situation of course is actually finding someone who has things in common that you both enjoy talking about. I'll admit it's easier said than done. I only have about two people who I can really communicate with and enjoy it fully.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #68514 on: December 26, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »

Prompting people to talk about themselves and their interests, and acting interested as they do so is pretty much the easiest guaranteed way to be like-able to just about anyone.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68515 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »

In other words, appeal to other people's vanity.

Personally I have no reason to talk to people whom I don't want to talk to, so if I'm acting interested in what other people are saying then I actually AM interested.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68516 on: December 26, 2013, 04:51:48 pm »

How fascinating, Kaijyuu, tell me more~~~

SADNESS: Texas is depressed and that's why they haven't been talking. No one to be with on christmas.

* Depressedcan is sad.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68517 on: December 26, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »

How fascinating, Kaijyuu, tell me more~~~

SADNESS: Texas is depressed and that's why they haven't been talking. No one to be with on christmas.

* Depressedcan is sad.

hey

hey listen

* LordSlowpoke stops being a fairy for a second

how about

no hear me out here

how about you

how about you go to the texas

and be with the texas ??­??­??­?

holy shit so many problems solved with that one simple gesture you only need to travel what a metric fuckton of kilometers? pff, that's nothing, you could walk that distance. with no legs.

imagine all the villages you could plunder along the way! you'd walk up to the texas like what up i got so much plunder that my back has been broken by it in several places please send help and then the texas would take all the plunder and go back to canada with you because you've got socialized healthcare there and you'd live in a castle that the texas built with all the plunder and be happy together sixever

flawless plan

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68518 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:01 pm »

I'm a slight variation to that I think, I'll gladly get fired up over discussing a TV show or a game or something (to the point of childlike excitement). But when most people start prying into the more personal stuff I shut down immediately, change the subject, pretend they're not there anymore and the like.

I generally hate talking about myself in that way, mostly because I don't think anyone should care enough to listen about that crap, despite the evidence that they do actually care enough. I think that kinda scares me, or something, not sure, go away.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68519 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:26 am »

Oh man... a new year is coming up. Scary.
Pages: 1 ... 4566 4567 [4568] 4569 4570 ... 8167