Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4525 4526 [4527] 4528 4529 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419548 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67890 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:37 am »

Ah,college :/
Same problems except maybe with a higher weight on money issues for me.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67891 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:31 am »

Both of you are at crisis points in your life. Trust me, I can say from experience that just being on your own for a while will make things a lot better in the coming years.

Then again, that may just be my ultimate anti-authoritarian personality speaking.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67892 on: November 27, 2013, 03:34:28 am »

My grandma has Alzheimer's.  It's hard to comprehend.

It is, and it's absolutely horrible.  The worst thing I found is that one day you wake up and realise the person isn't there anymore, only you can't remember or pinpoint exactly when you lost them to the disease. You never get to say goodbye. I suggest that, if this is a recent diagnosis, you spend as much time with her as possible and talk to her as much as possible.  Leave nothing unsaid or unasked.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:36:31 am by Owlbread »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67893 on: November 27, 2013, 04:59:32 am »

-snip-
Quick note: Learn to love yourself sincerely. That's nearly half of the way already.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67894 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:13 pm »

Bleh. My digestive system has apparently decided to declare war on the rest of me. Worst part beyond the physical symptoms is I'm getting really rather hungry (I... don't think I've ate since... *checks clock* about 36 hours ago? Yeesh, what the hell?) but I seriously don't want to eat.

Bad timing, too. Holiday, possible chance (if not necessarily a good one... vehicle's got me a bit worried it/I wouldn't survive the trip) to see family, probably not going to be an option. Driving's not terribly wise when dealing with occasional nausea and intermittent stomach rebellion. E: Which also means no thanksgiving food, now that I think about it. Blerghle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:34:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67895 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:08 pm »

Bleh. My digestive system has apparently decided to declare war on the rest of me. Worst part beyond the physical symptoms is I'm getting really rather hungry (I... don't think I've ate since... *checks clock* about 36 hours ago? Yeesh, what the hell?) but I seriously don't want to eat.

Bad timing, too. Holiday, possible chance (if not necessarily a good one... vehicle's got me a bit worried it/I wouldn't survive the trip) to see family, probably not going to be an option. Driving's not terribly wise when dealing with occasional nausea and intermittent stomach rebellion. E: Which also means no thanksgiving food, now that I think about it. Blerghle.

Go see a doctor.  NOW.  I was hit a couple of years ago with type 1 Diabetes; what you're describing is pretty close to what I went through before ending up in the Intensive Care Unit at the local hospital.  It's not a good scene, believe me.

Better to waste an afternoon at a doctor's office, than have to spend months recovering from a near-fatal state.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67896 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »

My grandma has Alzheimer's.  It's hard to comprehend.

It is, and it's absolutely horrible.  The worst thing I found is that one day you wake up and realise the person isn't there anymore, only you can't remember or pinpoint exactly when you lost them to the disease. You never get to say goodbye. I suggest that, if this is a recent diagnosis, you spend as much time with her as possible and talk to her as much as possible.  Leave nothing unsaid or unasked.
My Grandma thankfully doesn't has Alzheimer's, but she has severe dementia instead - she's not afraid or  aggressive or anything, but she won't remember what you told her five minutes ago. Plus she's practically blind, and more than 90 years old, and has once fallen down the cellar stairs at our house because she thought it was the door to the toilet - she was sitting at a different place at the table that night. She survived without too great injuries, but there was so much blood - me and a friend cleaned up the puddle of blood, making a few jokes to take away the weirdness. There's still a spot left there today... and she doesn't remember any of it.
And the most horrific thing is: If she died, it would improve everyone's situation. Her own, because she's practically no longer there; that of my grandpa, who's just as old, but now spends all of his time worrying about her - he now really looks like a tiny old man; and that of the surroundings. You could bash in her head, and theoretically it would be good - but it would be a horrible thing. Nobody wants her to die, we'll do anything to prevent it. All that suffering could end, but we don't want it to - and that's a very, very, very good thing. A horrible thing to realize.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67897 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:54 pm »

Go see a doctor.  NOW.  I was hit a couple of years ago with type 1 Diabetes; what you're describing is pretty close to what I went through before ending up in the Intensive Care Unit at the local hospital.  It's not a good scene, believe me.

Better to waste an afternoon at a doctor's office, than have to spend months recovering from a near-fatal state.
Would be nice if it were an option, but it'd be a couple days at best before I could drum up the cash to go to the doctor. Don't really have the free money to cover co-pay at the moment. Not to mention I still need to find a GP or somethin' in the area worth a flip. Folks that know the region still haven't got back to me on that one, bleh.

On the other paw, checking on the symptoms of type 1 I'm not actually displaying any of them. Fairly sure I've just caught some sort of stomach bug/indigestion. S'mostly just been intermittent diarrhea and a little nausea -- and I ate something yesterday that had me giving out odd tasting burps for most of the day. And then I went to sleep early, woke up ten hours later, and have spent the rest of the day as is. Never again, Burger King sausage. Never again. Honestly, s'not even entirely surprising considering I've had fast food less than a dozen times in the last six+ months... some of the stuff they do to those things (spice/seasoning/preparation wise) can be upsetting if you're not accustomed to it.

But yeah, if it doesn't clear up within a few days, doctor trip will be in order. Somehow or another :-\
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:12:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67898 on: November 27, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »

Stay hydrated.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67899 on: November 27, 2013, 09:29:04 pm »

I am clearly blessed to be living in a country where you never need to hesitate to go to the doctor over a possible bug. :o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #67900 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »

Sounds like a magical place indeed.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67901 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:14 pm »

Haha, yeah. I've literally dreamt of being able to afford preventative care a few times. Maybe in another 5-10 years... but right now, even the least expensive of doctor visits comes to something like a month and a half of transportation costs/2-3 weeks worth of food, and that's not even getting into prescriptions or anything beyond a checkup-with-nothing-done. And my budget is somewhat limited :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #67902 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:11 pm »

Haha, yeah. I've literally dreamt of being able to afford preventative care a few times. Maybe in another 5-10 years... but right now, even the least expensive of doctor visits comes to something like a month and a half of transportation costs/2-3 weeks worth of food, and that's not even getting into prescriptions or anything beyond a checkup-with-nothing-done. And my budget is somewhat limited :-\

The UK - we suck, but there are some benefits. :)

Sorry about your situation Frumple. :( If I were you I'd keep trying to eat food intermittently. Yeah, nausea and vomitting are not very condusive to driving, but neither is tiredness brought on by malnutrition. It's a rough spot you're in. :/

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67903 on: November 27, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67904 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »

-snip-

We do the best we can, with what we've got.

Maybe that can help you find something, Frumple?
... I'll definitely look into it, at least. Looks like there's a couple in town.

M'kinda' in a weird spot, health care wise. No income, but I've got insurance (being paid by a family member who I'm fairly sure isn't claiming me as a dependent) and... it just causes problems with certain things. The insurance in question isn't really optimal for someone in my situation due to the co-pay related stuff, heh. Really need to sit down and figure out something better, but life, school, etc., and I honestly don't seem to get sick terribly often so it never seems to put sufficient pressure on me to do something about it, or at least further investigate if anything can be done. Which does occasionally leave me in situations like these or bulling through a sinus headache (second worst pain I've ever felt in my life, ahaha! Admittedly a somewhat distant second because holy shit kidney stone pain, but yeah.), but...

Pretty much goes this way for that sort of illness:[snip]
Yeeaaahhh... had a sandwhich (using up the last of the bread, heh), which isn't giving problems so far, and am cooking up a pot of brown rice. Which is, unfortunately, about the healthiest thing available to me at the moment insofar as stomach troubles go.

And yeah, I've been in this situation more than a couple of times over the years, heh, from food poisoning to stomach viruses to kidney stones. Fairly familiar with what to do these days :P

Th'sentiment is definitely appreciated though, from everyone that's offered diarrhea 101 tips. S'fortunately not even remotely the worst I've had, but unpleasant enough (especially considering it's been a while since something like this hit) and terrible timing.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 4525 4526 [4527] 4528 4529 ... 8167