Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4517 4518 [4519] 4520 4521 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429189 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67770 on: November 22, 2013, 09:32:35 am »

today is yet another anniversary of my birth, btw

* LordSlowpoke raises a wine glass filled with vodka

let's get classy

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67771 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:34 am »

let's get classy
Why is that sad?

IronTomato raises a wine glass filled with cola.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67772 on: November 22, 2013, 11:18:06 am »

let's get classy
Happy Vodka Cake Day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67773 on: November 23, 2013, 01:18:09 am »

I can't fjnd the motivation to work on programming projects ;_;

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #67774 on: November 23, 2013, 01:36:23 am »

6 shots of espresso. You will finish every programming project while simultaneously gaining knowledge from your peers by reading their minds.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #67775 on: November 23, 2013, 01:39:29 am »

'

You too?...

But to subject. Hm, that made me sad today... Not having source of happy thoughts? Do it counts?..

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67776 on: November 23, 2013, 02:03:16 am »

I'm sad today because instead of moving to the place where two of my three best friends (and about 50% of my class; it was a small island school, so everybody knew each other pretty well) we ended up moving to a place where I half-know one person and am aware of the existence of another. This happened just before the beginning of the school year, and is still making me sad.

It's frustrating, because as it is I'm finding school pretty dull, and I don't really have much to do. If I had gone to the school where my classmates went, it's highly probable at least some of my classes would've had people I knew in them.

Of course, the city that the school I would've gone to isn't that great.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67777 on: November 23, 2013, 02:11:43 am »

6 shots of espresso. You will finish every programming project while simultaneously gaining knowledge from your peers by reading their minds.
I don't do caffeine :I

Also, no peers to read the minds of near me in a 1 km radius.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67778 on: November 23, 2013, 04:28:34 am »

Well there's your problem. I thought everybody who did programming was, like, 40% caffeine anyway?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67779 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:38 am »

Well there's your problem. I thought everybody who did programming was, like, 40% caffeine anyway?

40% caffeine is entry-level stuff

alway is well on the way to replacing all of the water in their organism with caffeine and that's when they can pick up fortran 77 and work for boeing and shit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67780 on: November 23, 2013, 05:59:28 am »

So even if I get into a university I might not be able to pay the backbreaking tuition. I feel very stressed and depressed :/

edit: how the hell do people pay $50000 per year to go to college in the us wth
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:14:15 am by Skyrunner »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67781 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:54 am »

Two ways. The primary way is called "crippling student debt", which they pay for... probably the remainder of the lives, honestly.

The second way is not going to the buggeroff expensive colleges. It's in-state (so much better price), but tuition/books for where I'm at right now has been like maybe 5-6k for a year. Would be more a bit more expensive for higher level courses and that, of course, isn't including cost of living stuff, but... if you're paying 50k a year, you're probably going to one of those pointlessly high end ones you don't actually need to go to to get a degree and/or work.

The remaining ways, at least for the buggeroff expensive colleges, is scholarships (somewhat) and rich parents, more or less, unless you're somehow already fairly well off (and in that case, why the bloody hell are you going to a 50k/year school? You should know better by now.).

E: Though it's been a while since I was aware of just what the cost for out-of-state/non-US-citizen tuition is, beyond "usually hellishly more expensive". Colleges tend to fleece out of staters like goddamn. Even worse than they do in-state folks.
E2: Ooh, checked. Yeah, I'm at a fairly affordable one and non-resident tuition ranges from 3.7 to 5 point somethingthree times that of resident tuition. Think there's exchange program stuff you can occasionally work through to reduce costs, but... yeah, if you're coming from somewhere else it gets hellishly expensive. Finding a way to avoid that is... usually a good idea. If it's possible.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:40:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67782 on: November 23, 2013, 06:30:21 am »

You pay 5-6k a year for state colleges. I have to pay 30-60k a year for the same classes and college. :(
Further searches indicate I probably would pay only 2~4 times as much. Still quite expensive.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:34:11 am by Skyrunner »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67783 on: November 23, 2013, 06:39:20 am »

Yeah, edits caught that. I'm honestly not quite sure how exchange program folks and whatnot manage it, exactly. I know there's potentially financial-related stuff beyond incredible debt available to them, but, well, I've never exactly had reason to hunt it up...

I guess ideally you'd actually move over here and gain residency before enrolling, to defray costs, but that's some hella' hoops to jump through and is quite likely not the most viable solution in the world.

E: ... mostly, though, what you're feeling is pretty normal for folks looking into university learnin', especially if they want/have to go out of state. So... you're among a great deal of company, Sky, for what that's worth. And a lot of people end up managing it, so... look around when you're feeling better. Find out how they're doing it. Therein lies an answer, if possibly not a particularly good one.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:52:19 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67784 on: November 23, 2013, 07:40:27 am »

my mother called, she needed cash

it wasn't a big amount but i'm not ever going to see it again

it'd be fine if she cared enough to wish me a happy birthday yesterday

i can't even muster the effort to rage about her antics anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 4517 4518 [4519] 4520 4521 ... 8167