Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4505 4506 [4507] 4508 4509 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428983 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67590 on: November 15, 2013, 02:21:30 pm »

507? I know lifeforms that are way older than that.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67591 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:12 pm »

507? I know lifeforms that are way older than that.
Are any of them animals though?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67592 on: November 15, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »

There's that ugly tree in Mongolia or California or whatever that is supposedly some 2000 plus years old. Most Redwoods grow to be around three hundred, IIRC. Trees in general are extremely long lived, barring disaster or outside interference. I think most whales live to be positively ancient by human standards. I think Aspen groves and some fungus colony are the LARGEST lifeforms on earth, with Aspen groves growing to cover hundreds of square miles while still having interconnected root systems, technically making them one lifeform, and that fungus is apparently some Underdark-esque creature that covers half the continental US or some such.

Let's not even get into Ant supercolonies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67593 on: November 15, 2013, 02:50:38 pm »

Not animals though.

Also, I do think that we once chopped down world's oldest tree too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67594 on: November 15, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »

Not animals though.

We had to count the rings!  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67595 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »

*checks wikipedia*

Prometheus, and yeah, it was possibly the world's oldest individual tree. There are a couple of other great pines of a similar age in California though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67596 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »

I need to develop much thicker skin.

People will be jerks and I need to remember that just because someone insults you, it doesn't mean you have to listen to them.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #67597 on: November 15, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »

I have the most utterly stupid sad.

The gore cleanup became a built in part in v19 of brutal doom. What's the point of making all those messes if they don't stick around?
Yep. As excited as I was, I'm sticking with v18 for the moment. Hopefully some of the bad changes in v19 get reverted (I can't believe he took out the Nazis).

I've actually since I posted that fixed the blood scrubbing. I can see about porting the nazis back in later too maybe. Anything else stand out bad about v19? Maybe I can make a DF approved version or something
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67598 on: November 15, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »

I have the most utterly stupid sad.

The gore cleanup became a built in part in v19 of brutal doom. What's the point of making all those messes if they don't stick around?
Yep. As excited as I was, I'm sticking with v18 for the moment. Hopefully some of the bad changes in v19 get reverted (I can't believe he took out the Nazis).

I've actually since I posted that fixed the blood scrubbing. I can see about porting the nazis back in later too maybe. Anything else stand out bad about v19? Maybe I can make a DF approved version or something
The only other big complaint I've seen is that the one-liners have apparently been disabled. Not the worst thing in the world, but after you can verbally abuse demons not being able to do it is disappointing.

If you do make a version of your own, this might be of use, as it has the Nazis re-instated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67599 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »

People will be jerks and I need to remember that just because someone insults you, it doesn't mean you have to listen to them.
Remember that the worst part about being insulted is when other people are nearby, they form an opinion of you on grounds of your reaction to this insult. Fake some self-confidence, it will quickly turn into real self-confidence.

/advicefromarandominternetperson

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67600 on: November 15, 2013, 03:56:54 pm »

Remember that the worst part about being insulted is when other people are nearby, they form an opinion of you on grounds of your reaction to this insult. Fake some self-confidence, it will quickly turn into real self-confidence.

/advicefromarandominternetperson

Actually, for me it is that I tend to believe them. Mostly because I don't have the presence of mind to fend off insults.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67601 on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:56 pm »

Fending off insults is a bad idea. No matter how logical your replies are, no matter how thoroughly you refuted their arguments, all attending people will just go tl;dl and instead notice how mad u r bro, and being mad is a sign of weakness.

What you could do is try and make them mad instead. Insulting them back won't work, since that kind of reaction is what they wanted to see in the first place, and they have enough self-confidence to be completely unfazed by any kind of insults, which would make that reaction backfire on you.

Instead you could ask for another insult, which will catch them completely off guard, since such people have the tendency to immediately use any insults they imagine right away (also to constantly reuse a single insult), so they'll need a while to think of a new insult, and after a few seconds of thinking you can laugh at them since you just proved they're stupid. Plan B in case they do manage to think of a new one: Just nod thoughtfully, say "Interesting" and ask for yet another one, eventually they'll run out. Plan C in case they don't run out quickly enough to seem stupid: Congratulate them, terminate the conversation and repeat the same procedure a few days later, making sure to point out every time they repeat an insult. Eventually they won't talk to you unless they have a brand new insult, and there are only so many that aren't creative enough to be funny, so you're good to go from then on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67602 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:49 pm »

Not really seeking to "beat" anyone.

I am more or less looking out for myself and how I feel when people make me feel bad... and I don't feel better by making others feel worse.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67603 on: November 15, 2013, 04:38:09 pm »

Not really seeking to "beat" anyone.

I am more or less looking out for myself and how I feel when people make me feel bad... and I don't feel better by making others feel worse.

The point wasn't to make the others feel bad (they'll get over it easily) but to stop them making you feel bad. And to do that, you'll have to establish some hierarchy that is more in your favor than the current state of affairs.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #67604 on: November 15, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

The only other big complaint I've seen is that the one-liners have apparently been disabled. Not the worst thing in the world, but after you can verbally abuse demons not being able to do it is disappointing.

If you do make a version of your own, this might be of use, as it has the Nazis re-instated.

I still got v18, so I can grab the nazis from it. I might keep the nazis as an external file though since replacing the nazis breaks some of the intresting effects of scythe 2, which is one of my favorite megawads and all.

The one liners are apparently still in, just the sounds have been removed because of apparently people spamming them in multiplayer. Really sarge, really?

Those should be easy enough to re-enable.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 4505 4506 [4507] 4508 4509 ... 8167