Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4485 4486 [4487] 4488 4489 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424108 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67290 on: November 05, 2013, 09:32:18 pm »

Use the money for adventures. Also, welcome to adulthood, this is pretty much how life is for everyone in the middle to upper middle class.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'm getting rid of something like 80% of my clothes and otherwise cutting waaaaaay down on possessions.  I'm so fucking done with this shit >:I

EDIT: Also I am feeling incredibly impatient.  Why can't it be December already.  I want it to be December-time D:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:37:04 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67291 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »

EDIT: Also I am feeling incredibly impatient.  Why can't it be December already.  I want it to be December-time D:
Because I am physically holding us in November so that I can win NaNoWriMo. November can't end before I do that.

Sorry. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67292 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:34 pm »

Good point.  I should think up a November project to pass the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #67293 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »

Today I was made sad when I realized, for the umpteenth time, that most people are vehemently opposed to honest evaluation and discourse on their public statements and beliefs. It's socially unacceptable to question the validity of what someone says in a general setting, and I find that completely stupid. Substantial progress as a species simply can't be made without challenging assumptions and the status quo. Are people just that afraid of being wrong? I almost, almost wish we could breed out that sort of fear and apathy in the human race.

Or maybe I should just quit Facebook. It never fails to sadden me with its riotous displays of human ignorance. :-\
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67294 on: November 05, 2013, 11:20:11 pm »

People are just that sick of having to have a fight every time they open their mouth.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67295 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »

People are just that sick of having to have a fight every time they open their mouth.
I can relate to this. It's very tiring (and time consuming) to have to speak and type in legalese just to get my point across properly. Otherwise, people just make sweeping generalizations and won't listen to anything else you say. And frequently they just generalize regardless. And then sometimes they just don't agree, cue argument 'til the end of time, or someone leaves and they invariably declare themselves emperor of all logic.

You can probably tell that it pisses me off immensely. If not, them let me say that it pisses me off immensely.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67296 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41:33 pm »

While I understand the frustration, I also believe that if someone isn't properly prepared to defend a controversial position, then everyone is better off for their silence.  It's how I generally conduct myself, and I don't think it's too much to ask of anyone else.  Stating something that you know others are going to disagree with and then denying them the ability to disagree is basically saying that you're the only person allowed to have an opinion.  Sure, maybe sometimes there's value in having some space where people of like mind can blow off steam, so long as they're not living all their lives in an echo chamber... but don't make use of space that you share with others that disagree with you for that purpose.  That's simply an invasion.  An attempt to dominate that space for your own purposes.

The above is not directed at anyone here.  Just sharing in inEQUALITY's little rant.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67297 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:42 am »

To continue with what Salmy said: If you haven't put the thought into your opinions and decide to blather it all over a place non-like-minded people, don't be surprised if they decide to force some thought on you. :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #67298 on: November 06, 2013, 12:08:51 am »

Drunk people everywhere:
Stop throwing peanuts at me. I'm not Dumbo.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67299 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:56 am »

Throw nuts back at them! Sea coconuts, the largest nuts around.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #67300 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:31 am »

*Looks at avatar, sig, tagline*
You sir, are very well-timed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67301 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67302 on: November 06, 2013, 01:52:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh man, this made me so happy.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67303 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:01 am »

Today I was made sad when I realized, for the umpteenth time, that most people are vehemently opposed to honest evaluation and discourse on their public statements and beliefs. It's socially unacceptable to question the validity of what someone says in a general setting, and I find that completely stupid. Substantial progress as a species simply can't be made without challenging assumptions and the status quo. Are people just that afraid of being wrong? I almost, almost wish we could breed out that sort of fear and apathy in the human race.

Or maybe I should just quit Facebook. It never fails to sadden me with its riotous displays of human ignorance. :-\
Just to state for the record, I am incredibly, incredibly afraid of being wrong, as in, having any view or belief that is not true, or to argue in a standpoint that is actually wrong. And I have started to find out that it is impossible, or at least impossible, to be 100% right, which really saddens me.

Why can't we just all be omniscient and right? What is the point of being stupid?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67304 on: November 06, 2013, 02:04:36 am »

Why can't we just all be omniscient and right? What is the point of being stupid?
Well, personally, I don't think I'd like to know everything.
I have some pretty deep personal feelings and beliefs regarding that, but I'd rather not get into them, but I don't think people are meant to know everything, or are even capable of knowing everything.
And I like it that way.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4485 4486 [4487] 4488 4489 ... 8167